Clarify what isn't allowed with genetics on it's wikipage

Saudus

Got informed today about limitations on genetics work by [mention]DatBerry[/mention] I wasn't aware of that might be nice to clarify on the genetics wiki page. (Before someone thinks different, there has been salt from me or anyone else I've been in contact with regarding this, so please don't bring your own. Only really spoken OOCly with DatBerry about it, and our conversation was simple informing with counter questions done friendly.)

Already knew the job had been taken away long ago due to massive misuse and had only seen some people build the lab equipment to make protoX occasionally. Started playing around with it to learn another part of science recently. I returned to SS13 like a month ago from having been gone for a few months, noticed the genetics wiki page (is it relatively new? not the content, clearly a rip from another server but meant added to the wiki).

Actually played around with it a few shifts. Went via heads of staff to get Neaera crates with expressed intent on genetics work, paperwork to build the equipment, genetics testing waivers and did some mapping. Found mutations but always stayed in department when they were active due to directive 4. Also made a personal promise to never use for antag stuff (would only have been a thing if autotraitored a bit into the round).

Was informed that it was not allowed to do that work and it is essentially limited to making protoX and maybe genetics disability removal, i.e. no mapping or such. I assume this limit isn't overly well known as I've been in contact with multiple people, many of whom heads of staff, who apparently wasn't aware or just didn't say. If those are the rules then I of course won't be doing it and want it to be better known to others so they don't either. Just a shame I didn't know as I've moved my Skrell char towards genetics by natural character development which I will now have to roll back.

TLDR;

I suggest making a large disclaimer to the genetics wiki page about the rules and limits on genetics. Also removing the geneticist position in character creation occupations (even if apparently there no open slots for it) and maybe even just remove the mutations from the code. Should be easy enough to add back if someone ever decided to actually do sth with genetics? I.e. only structural enzyme with any effect would be 27 that would still control species.

I agree that the information about what is allowed on Aurora and what isn't should be added to the various job description pages, or at least a link to the related station directives or reference to the corporate regs.

But, I also think that genetics should come back, as it's a really great department that gives someone something fun to do that can end up being quite useful sometimes. It's also a great antag device.

Aurora's population seems to be pretty low as of late. I'm not sure what happened, but it might be a good idea to provide more things for players to do during their round. The research department is pitifully stocked of players pretty much every round (right now it has 5, which is the most I've seen in a few days). I think a lot of this is due to MUCH LESS FUN changes in R&D and of course the removal of genetics from the department.

I'd vote to roll back some of the changes relating to the science department.

I would also like to see genetics come back, although I wasn't here when it was removed so...

But in general I am just a fan of using the wiki to give out clear and current information. Not everyone knows what happens on the forums and discords now, yet alone what happened in the past.

Especially with the summertide coming in (although probably not an issue with genetics, but on the topic of wiki clarity etc).

Make a list of required changes and I'll uodate the wiki.

I'm clueless about genetics myself.

I am not the authority on this and please keep that in mind with my following suggestions:

Due to issues with people abusing the role of geneticist in the past and what we feel aren't appropriate mechanics for our server there are limitations on what you're allowed to do in genetics. This might change in the future, but these are the rules as of now.

First off there is no genetics lab. This is to make a passive obstacle for abuse. If you are going to do the work you are allowed to in genetics, you will need to build the equipment needed in game.

Researching genetic powers (major and minor) and disabilities is not allowed. You are allowed to create protohumans (i.e. turn a monkey into a human, or any of the equivalents for the other species) for medical purposes and science testing. You are also allowed to cure genetic conditions (powers and disabilities) a player might get during a round from radiation storms and other things.

EDIT: Forgot to say where I suggest it should be put in the wiki page. I suggest making a section with the title "OOC Rules limiting genetics".

• Gem locked this topic