Command Whitelist ERT But Provide Non-Command Something Too

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

ERT is command. Let's put it behind a command whitelist, and lock all their gear behind and airlock for ERT specifically.

Let's add mechanically the Tau Ceti Foreign Legion. It is very young militia created by president dorn after the Frost invasion. It's super diverse and just a rag-tag collection of foreign expats and asylum seekers wanting to put their time in on the path to citizenship. They are tau ceti's Minutemen meant to deal with pirates and the like.

The important distinctions are in gear and authority. the foreign legion would get less robust hardsuits, focus on laser rifles and ballistic pistols, and have basic engineering and medical equipment. They can be tough, but they aren't given the best armor and weapons in the entire game.

The station has the option to summon either one. The Foreign Legion, not requring a whitelist, is a more reliable summon with as many ghosts as want to join, and quality is not guaranteed. This fits the aesthetic of a militia force of volunteers.

An ERT squad is a smaller, more rare scenario due to the command whitelist but you reasonably garunteed quality, and trained professional (mercenaries). This fits the aesthetic of a highly trained private mercenary army.

Also only humans could be ERT but legionaries could be anything because of Dorn's liberal SJW policies.

At first, I was about to let out a shitstorm with the fury of a thousand suns, but there's a sensible replacement, so I'm okay with that.

Plus this makes a lot more sense. Ask for ERT on highpop, you're gonna get it probably, and the people playing them are going to be sensible. You won't be able to ask for ERT on lowpop (the people just aren't there) and it avoids the less amount of antags getting shitstomped, because if it's lowpop there's not going to be many antags. While they can still send a reasonable fighting force at them, just with less shitstomp material.

But dear god, I know, I KNOW that Faysal is going to push the "call militia" button on highpop and drown the antags in militia bodies due to the unrelenting tide of angry ghosts.

So I support this, this seems cool. +1

this seems awesome. what kind of aesthetiques are we going for with the militia? what would they look like, give me an Idea - American military aesthetic? literal militia fallout 4 'There's another settlement in need of our help' militia? Aliens: Colonial Marines militia? i think Colonial Marines aesthetic would be AWESOME

Guest Marlon Phoenix

this seems awesome. what kind of aesthetiques are we going for with the militia? what would they look like, give me an Idea - American military aesthetic? literal militia fallout 4 'There's another settlement in need of our help' militia? Aliens: Colonial Marines militia? i think Colonial Marines aesthetic would be AWESOME

I feel like something bold like red and blue would be fun for their uniforms, and any matching body armor/voidsuits. They are fighting pirates in space where camouflage is not necessary but visibility is important. "Another settlement needs our help!" type militia. It is a diverse group.

There is more nuance to the role than saying "ERT is command" implies.

You have a selection of powerful equipment, an ID with all-access to the station's airlocks, and the authority to take charge of the station if you need to in order to accomplish your mission. However, remember that the Heads of Staff and Captain are the real people in charge of the facility. Your team shouldn't be relieving them of their duties or overriding their authority without a good reason for it, such as one being hostile, actively obstructing the mission or assisting hostile elements, or refusing to perform their job functions.

Once the emergency is contained, your team is expected to hand back control of the station to the crew and depart, or at worst, facilitate an evacuation or emergency crew transfer. ERT members should not indefinitely maintain control of the station.

This is information available on our wiki. ERT only have authority over the rest of the station in dealing with whatever is causing the emergency status. While it is true they have a great deal of power in the round this power is usually relegated to "how the round ends". Command characters are officially in charge of the station and the crew. They have a great deal of power over the round during all points. A whitelist for this role exists mostly as a commitment check. They are very easy to get and stop a very new player joining as the captain and not knowing at all what to do. The degree of harm you can cause in those roles is far greater. I simply do not think it is fair to go "Command are whitelisted so why arent ERT?". There are distinct differences between the roles.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

There is more nuance to the role than saying "ERT is command" implies.

They're command with the best armor and weapons in the game. They're a bigger impact on a round than any head of staff. They are captains with assault rifles. Authority related to the emergency means authority over the entire rounds game mode. Being rare does not make them less command. Ert are called a lot.

Whitelist ert. Keep militia for normies. Both can come at the same time. Legion does not outrank command.

Can't we just nerf ERT instead if their equipment power bloat is such a big concern and strip away their authority? I don't see the point of bloating Emergency Response factions when the more optimal (albeit highly contentious) choice is just to declaw the ERT.

Although the fact they're stronger than antagonists is mostly due in part to almost all antagonists being really weak in general.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Can't we just nerf ERT instead if their equipment power bloat is such a big concern and strip away their authority? I don't see the point of bloating Emergency Response factions when the more optimal (albeit highly contentious) choice is just to declaw the ERT.

Although the fact they're stronger than antagonists is mostly due in part to almost all antagonists being really weak in general.

Ert is High risk (may not come) high reward (best equipment in the game)

Legion is Low risk (youll probably almost always get one) modest reward (Theyre equipped a lil better than armory equipped sec)

This seems like a fair gamble. Minutemen or spec ops? Do you NEED erts heavy laser cannons or can you take a few boys with rifles?

Ert equipment nerf is umnecessary in this framework.

I was already convinced at 'ERT Whitelist' but the legion idea is genius. I also feel that the legion would be better in certain situations as compared to ERT. An all powerful wizard or changeling would be better suited to a highly trained ERT op, but something like rev where it's an unskilled, untrained mass of employees would benefit more from the large number of legionaries.

Ert is High risk (may not come) high reward (best equipment in the game)

Legion is Low risk (youll probably almost always get one) modest reward (Theyre equipped a lil better than armory equipped sec)

This seems like a fair gamble. Minutemen or spec ops? Do you NEED erts heavy laser cannons or can you take a few boys with rifles?

Ert equipment nerf is umnecessary in this framework.

Sure, I guess. It doesn't seem a terrible idea when put that way.

I'm immediately thinking of the French Foreign Legion anyway, so I guess that's something to psyche up over.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

If anything, give the Legion some of the unused things we have in the game, there's a lot of unused weapons and armors in code.

Like what?

yes to the whitelist, no to the Legion.For starters why is Nanotrasen using a government Asset instead of a company one and how are they asking for them? We already have two distinctions of Emergency response, ERT and Heavy Asset Protection which basically already fits the aesthetic you described, ERT are Mercs while HAPT are Special Operators, I think instead HAPT should get an actual implementation outside of admin abuse and locked behind a whitelist and ERT should be nerfed

Whitelisting ERT is ultimately a policy suggestion, however I would be glad to see more variety in emergency response options, and would be happy to work on a foreign legion provided that the overarching policy change proceeds. However since the root of this issue is policy (whitelisting ERT and then creating an unwhitelisted version) I have moved it to the appropriate sub-forum.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

yes to the whitelist, no to the Legion.For starters why is Nanotrasen using a government Asset instead of a company one and how are they asking for them?

Emergency transmissions?

As to why; lavor. Non-NT things coming to interact with us makes us feel like we're in a living world with things happening outside the station. plus lore to the station is something everyone wants

I love this idea,

when private companies have problems they generally call local law enforcement; private companies still call to the US navy or Coast guard when their ships are in distress and sometimes your response will vary; even private property they still refer to the local police authority for matters on and near property.

my only thought is maybe make the ERT something other then a whitelist, ... maybe make it based on game hours on the server...like reward loyalty to the server with access to it and the legion is available to everyone; that way you're not excluding the people youd want to be playing it and preventing the ERT from being inexperienced memes.

I would be curious as to what their loadout would be and how they would operate; I think ontop of this there should be more response teams.

a CBRN task force is absolutely needed at some point; calling in the ERT who bring primarily guns to many different situations just ends poorly; a Medically focused response team for cleanup and assistance can help prolong situations.

if theres a virus outbreak and you call in a CBRN team; the people who come in should be medically oriented and focusing on containment procedures; giving orders to people to contain themselves and orient on making those really....really annoying rounds where medbay is a meme easier.

Authority related to the emergency means authority over the entire rounds game mode. Being rare does not make them less command. Ert are called a lot.

Whitelist ert.

No that is not what that means. Having authority over a specific situation does not make them the same as command. They are expected to hand control back after they kill the ninja teleporting behind people. The role is not going to be whitelisted for reasons i have already stated.

Voting for dismissal.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Authority related to the emergency means authority over the entire rounds game mode. Being rare does not make them less command. Ert are called a lot.

Whitelist ert.

No that is not what that means. Having authority over a specific situation does not make them the same as command. They are expected to hand control back after they kill the ninja teleporting behind people. The role is not going to be whitelisted for reasons i have already stated.

Voting for dismissal.

way to put me on blast like that. Yes Garn they leave when they ninja has been pumped full of AP rounds. But before and during the ninja teleporation they have captain level authority and heavy weapons. It is an entire squad of station captains. Your distinction is crazy.

If anything, give the Legion some of the unused things we have in the game, there's a lot of unused weapons and armors in code.

Like what?

There's a few guns and melee weapons we don't use, or that rarely spawn for Raiders. There's some armors like the Thunderdone and SWAT gear that is kinda.. There, but not used.

I'll put a real list together later.

Whitelist ert.

Voting for dismissal.

way to put me on blast like that. Yes Garn they leave when they ninja has been pumped full of AP rounds. But before and during the ninja teleporation they have captain level authority and heavy weapons. It is an entire squad of station captains. Your distinction is crazy.

They have authority over the captain in the given situation because the station command couldn't handle the given situation by themselves. By calling ERT they are giving authority of the situation over to the ERT who are better equipped to deal with it.

Don't want to have your authority sidelined? Don't call ERT. If you do call them you have to listen to them but the players themselves are trusted not to abuse their authority, or else they get an ERT job ban.