[Accepted] Duskofdawn's Command Whitelist Application

BYOND key: Duskofdawn

Character names: Zachary Gallagher, Ezra Perry

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Two-ish months

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: To better help the station and to help bring more variety to RP.

Why did you come to Aurora?: I wanted an HRP server and was suggested by someone else.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: In their entirety.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplay is about creating an immersive environment for the sake of entertainment/fun. Creating meaningful and realistic characters, and then creating the relationship between those characters enables us to create an immersive environment, and a fulfilling one. In addition, it allows us to have fun and explore ideas that we might not necessarily explore OOC. While roleplay can be dull and boring, it should not be, and should be about making things interesting (while maintaining a degree of realism)

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

The purpose of a head of staff is a couple of things, really. First, they add a sense of realism to the game, as not having command is strange coming from a real-life standpoint. Second, they keep the station running smoothly, and keep it organized, which allows a round to continue and generally keeps the flow of RP. Third, they give players a sense of purpose and something to do, and something to strive for. Without guidance from a HoS, things can and do go wrong a decent chunk of the time.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

The OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players to other players is first and foremost to create a rich, immersive RP environment. Whitelisted players should be counted on to provide a level of high-quality RP. In addition, they should be counted on to be responsible and respectful. In order to uphold them, I plan on trying to constantly improve my RP and my skills. In addition, to make things fun for everyone, while maintaining responsibility.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Zachary Gallagher

Character age: 50

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Zachary Michael Gallagher grew up on the backwater planet that is Luthien. A dry, desert planet, mainly devoid of life, he watched his family struggle for survival in a cutthroat manufacturing industry. He told himself from a young age that he would not suffer the same fate. His mother and father, ever supportive of their son, scrounged up enough money to send him to Origin University, where he worked and learned, supporting himself through his M.S. in Electrical Engineering. Sadly, his parents passed on during this endeavor, never to see him graduate. As an only child, he was left with no family.

Knowing that in order to move up in life, he went to Mars University to train himself in leadership. He worked in various jobs and positions before finding himself working on stations, which he particularly liked, partially because the threat of danger. In addition, as much difficulty as he has with people, he genuinely enjoys helping them. He just doesn't always know how to do it. With no family left, he looks for something to achieve, be it a higher rank, a faster repair, or just a friend to talk to, and he will stop at near-nothing to achieve his goals.

What do you like about this character?:

I love the fact that, for the most part, he's always looking to get better at what he does. He learns from his mistakes, and is rather relaxed for the most part.

What do you dislike about this character?:

He has a difficult time handing people, and especially idiots. While he is relaxed, he can get frustrated quite easily. He doesn't enjoy being told what to do, and if he's already doing it and being told to do that thing, he can turn into quite a firecracker.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:

He is extremely organized and efficient. He's a problem solver and gets shit done. While he doesn't deal well with people, he's an excellent leader.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

I would say about 8/10. I've been playing HRP servers for about three to four years now, and RPing for about ten. While I think that I provide high-quality RP, I can always get better. The thing I have the most issue with is repetition, as I tend to be repetitive when too much is going on at once.

Extra notes:

I understand that I may not be entirely well-known, please don't let that effect your judgement. The position I'm applying for (for the most part) is CE.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 II've actually RP'd with this person before, on a different server, and not realized it until it was brought to my attention. Once I pieced it together, I realized I knew them fairly well.

So, as far as their RP on Aurora goes... it's great. The character knows how to interact well. They aren't big trouble makers. They know the in's and outs of the bureaucracy that is Command (I've dealt with them as my HoP several times.) They know when to cut up and be relaxed. All around, it's a solid character who knows their stuff.

Their RP's pretty consistent too. I've never seen issues from them before... and that goes for the time on Aurora as well as time away from the Aurora.

I've seen Zachary about quite a bit, big fan of the guy! A very believable character and I like the fact that they're a bit older as well. Makes them pretty suitable for a position such as Chief Engineer.

I get that the whole not wanting to deal with idiots thing could be a bit of a problem, but nobody likes idiots. From what I've seen, Zachary seems like the kind of person who would teach someone who was new to the game, assuming they were willing to learn and weren't a moron in a memey sense. So I reckon Zachary would be a good fit for command.

Good luck bub!

To start off, I'll make it apparent that I know Dusk out of character and actually suggested they join Aurora as I know they're a talented roleplayer and good at engineering. In my time playing with him I've been proven right, seeing as how I've been taught a bit and a few of my in-character engineering questions have been answered by Zachary. He's competent at engineering, and I'm sure the same would go for command. So I'll give this my +1, even though with my very respected opinion I've probably in reality just chained you with a -2.

Best of luck recovering from my curse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...