[Accepted] Simon's Dionaea Whitelist Application

BYOND Key: Simontheminer

Character Names: Characters I play

Nikit Vasili: Roboticist

Tamir Hanar: Engineering apprentice

Zharr Mrakiizar: Cargo Tech

Akio Tanaka: Janitor

Species you are applying to play: Dionaea

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Dionaea... Are... Exempt...

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I've always had pleasant experiences with people who play Dionaea, usually being either funny, interesting, and a few times emotional. Grown by Starlight (played by Yonnimer) has left a very good impression about the Dionaea on me and seems to have a lot of fun playing them. Players participating as nymphs grown during the round also provided plenty of pleasant interactions between other players even after growing into a worker. The way worker Dionaea use a logic over emotion way of thinking (due to the emotional filter provided by the nymphs merging together) shows promise for a lot of interesting IC scenarios. Their high curiosity and intelligence makes them valuable as helpers and staff in departments like science (which is my most commonly played department).

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Dionaea only appear humanoid in order to fit in with the working class of the galaxy. The mind(s) of a dionaea is much different than other species, being composed of a collective of nymphs sharing their own experiences with each other. Each nymph is also tasked with different parts of the Gestalt to make sure things are going along smoothly, and because it is a group of Diona they will often refer to themselves as "we" but can learn to use "I" instead. A notable behavior shared by all Dionaea is the teacher-student like relationship older (sage) and younger (neophyte) individuals. Unless otherwise told by a sage, a neophyte will protect their sages with their life. Notable game mechanics about the Dionaea are they are immune to space exposure, move slowly, feed off radiation and light, and can die from the lack of heat.

Character Name: Learning of the Bygone

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Originating from the research station tasked with studying “The Dead Planet” gestalt in Epsilon Ursae Minoris, Learning of the Bygone is composed of samples provided by the Dionaea gestalt in exchange for Skrell genetic samples. The nymphs that make up the gestalt Learning of the Bygone all shared an interest in the scientists studying them and xenobiology. Soon after the nymphs had integrated into the gestalt they voiced an interest working with the scientists in the field of xenobiology. They worked as a lab assistant and took supplementary courses in xenobiology for a total of four years before obtaining their degree. Learning of the Bygone continued to study the field outside of work, successfully defending his degree the first year after obtaining it and every five years after that.

After the gestalt had reached the age of ten years together a human lab assistant, Kenny Serbus, joined the team of scientists that Learning of the Bygone had working with. Learning of the Bygone quickly noticed their curiosity and would enjoy spend time helping and teaching them. Since Learning of the Bygone enjoyed teaching Kenny it decided that it would begin to spend some of time to learning as much as it possibly can about xenobiology and other related science fields. It’s ultimate goal was to become a sage for others in it’s field of study. After Kenny had received their degree and became part of the team, Learning of the Bygone left the research station in their pursuit to become a notable sage.

What do you like about this character?

I like the ambition to learn Learning of the Bygone will have, and the willingness/eagerness to teach people. They will also provide opportunities to new players to get into the science department and to work with their coworkers in other fields. Their goal to become a sage will also open up plenty of opportunities for them to seek out knowledge from others. I feel they will get plenty of chances to interact even with those outside the science department. They have the curiosity which is a big part of the Dionaea race.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? 8/10

Notes:

-1, I don’t want to lose Science's cat.

Just kidding, I believe Simon deserves a +5, because:

-Is an excellent Tajaran player (I didn't have the opportunity to play with their human) and I am sure that they will be as good with the Dionaeaeaeas.

-Their OOC attitude is great.

-Their characters are unique, but not so unique that it becomes annoying.

-Their RP is good and consistent, they add a lot to the round, without inserting themselves into the situations.

-I already ran out of points.

Best cat, better tree.

I love Simon as Nikit. He's one of the first people I've met over the last few weeks, and has repeatedly shocked me with his willingness to show me new things and roleplay a cut above the rest. I'd happily let him absorb me in a maint tunnel, dying knowing he'd roleplay it perfectly.

to quote above: good cat. better tree. +1.

I believe I was actually the guy who pushed Simon to pick up either an Unathi or Dionae whitelist. Either way, I believe that Simon has the RP skills required to play Dionaea, as I've personally RP'd with their characters and found it to be an all-around enjoyable experience. Their attitude OOCly is always pleasant, I have seen no issues with them in any way.

The application's grammar and spelling is good, a refreshing change of pace. Their backstory, albeit short, displays all the prominent parts of the being of a Dionae. Gestalt, nymphs, curiousness. The identification of role-playing differences is also well composed and accurate.

If this doesn't get accepted, I'm going to have to unsheath my plasteel spear. :^)

Terribly sorry for the delay, I've had a bad fever for the past couple of days and it's killed my ability to think and convey my thoughts clearly. But at long last, I am here.

So, let's get to the nitty-gritty bits of your application!

Why do you wish to play this specific race? Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human.

Both of these have excellent answers, so nothing that needs answering from me so far.

Character Name: Learning of the Bygone

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Originating from the research station tasked with studying “The Dead Planet” gestalt in Epsilon Ursae Minoris, Learning of the Bygone is composed of samples provided by the Dionaea gestalt in exchange for Skrell genetic samples. The nymphs that make up the gestalt Learning of the Bygone all shared an interest in the scientists studying them and xenobiology. Soon after the nymphs had integrated into the gestalt they voiced an interest working with the scientists in the field of xenobiology. They worked as a lab assistant and took supplementary courses in xenobiology for a total of four years before obtaining their degree. Learning of the Bygone continued to study the field outside of work, successfully defending his degree the first year after obtaining it and every five years after that.

After the gestalt had reached the age of ten years together a human lab assistant, Kenny Serbus, joined the team of scientists that Learning of the Bygone had working with. Learning of the Bygone quickly noticed their curiosity and would enjoy spend time helping and teaching them. Since Learning of the Bygone enjoyed teaching Kenny it decided that it would begin to spend some of time to learning as much as it possibly can about xenobiology and other related science fields. It’s ultimate goal was to become a sage for others in it’s field of study. After Kenny had received their degree and became part of the team, Learning of the Bygone left the research station in their pursuit to become a notable sage.

Pretty good backstory so far! But this is always the part that has questions from me, so get ready.

Very good first paragraph. Second paragraph is kind of odd. A Dionae's mission in life is to obtain knowledge more than give it out. I'm not saying that they wouldn't enjoy teaching others, but if they spend all of their time teaching than learning, then it kind of defeats the purpose of Dionae. However, it would make a lot more sense if you have them with an end-goal of possibly becoming an RD and extending their knowledge to other science fields like Xenobotany and Xenoarcheology which are mildly related, and they still get to teach a lot. However, I've learned that you have to sometimes be very quick when you're playing Xenobiologist. Let's say you do get your species whitelist. If you find that it is not possible to play that occupation well with their speed, what will you chose to do with them? Retcon it into the other Xeno-related fields?

What do you like about this character?

I like the ambition to learn Learning of the Bygone will have, and the willingness/eagerness to teach people. They will also provide opportunities to new players to get into the science department and to work with their coworkers in other fields. Their goal to become a sage will also open up plenty of opportunities for them to seek out knowledge from others. I feel they will get plenty of chances to interact even with those outside the science department. They have the curiosity which is a big part of the Dionaea race.

Pretty good with this one too! But remember: their hunger to seek knowledge should overpower their want to teach it more in some cases. If they aren't in a position to discover things, they will stagnate and want to move on because that's their core nature.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? 8/10

I know I didn't have many others do this part much, but now I would like to. Can you elaborate to as of why you've given yourself this score?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Very good first paragraph. Second paragraph is kind of odd. A Dionae's mission in life is to obtain knowledge more than give it out. I'm not saying that they wouldn't enjoy teaching others, but if they spend all of their time teaching than learning, then it kind of defeats the purpose of Dionae. However, it would make a lot more sense if you have them with an end-goal of possibly becoming an RD and extending their knowledge to other science fields like Xenobotany and Xenoarcheology which are mildly related, and they still get to teach a lot. However, I've learned that you have to sometimes be very quick when you're playing Xenobiologist. Let's say you do get your species whitelist. If you find that it is not possible to play that occupation well with their speed, what will you chose to do with them? Retcon it into the other Xeno-related fields?

I would most likely Retcon it into xenobotany, as it is related to the field, if I find that it is too difficult to play xenobiology as a dionaea. Part of his end goal of becoming a great sage would include becoming a research director as he branches out into other fields. He obviously won't spend all his time teaching others, as he will spend almost all his free time off station learning (reading, taking lessons, speaking with experts in their respective fields)

Pretty good with this one too! But remember: their hunger to seek knowledge should overpower their want to teach it more in some cases. If they aren't in a position to discover things, they will stagnate and want to move on because that's their core nature.

I will keep that in mind, and in RP I will occasionally push the task of teaching new people to others if something grabs Learning of the Bygone's attention/curiosity.

I know I didn't have many others do this part much, but now I would like to. Can you elaborate to as of why you've given yourself this score?

Hope to hear from you soon!

I make the occasional slip up and misspelling every now and then, but for the most part I feel I am fairly consistent with my RP. While I'm not perfect, I do try my best to improve and when I get the chance, will send a lengthy me action (such as when doing routine maintenance work on an IPC), having a conversation with someone for extended periods of time, and even when I get the chance to do so without holding up other players and disrupting the RP by having everyone wait for me to add my part. I'm no Tabi fast fingers and able to send giant messages as quick as a flash, but I am working on getting to that point.

I've known the player since they've began playing here, and actually began directly interacting with them the second day they first started to play Tamir Hanar, and learn engineering. I haven't gotten to be around Nikit a lot, but I do know this cinnamon roll. My character Sid dragged them around the entire department and gave them an in-depth course on Engineering, and Tamir soaked up whatever knowledge Sid spewed like a sponge, and not once have I seen the player break from their unique character or lore. ICly and OOCly when I first heard them stutter over the radio I cringed after recent and negative interactions with another stuttering character, but after getting to know both the player and character a little better, "we" fell in love no homo bromo. As stated before by another, the player is a very agreeable person to interact with and I have yet to ICly or OOCly experience a negative interaction, and I highly doubt I ever will. I'm pretty sure that I can expect the previous no matter what as their behavior is rather consistent, and therefore reliable- but that doesn't mean that they aren't willing or capable of adapting to changes when called for, and I have seen them do so in the past.

And not only do you have the willingness and aptitude to learn, to use that knowledge to the best of your abilities to further explore what you can do with it, but you're also willing to ask questions kindly without fear. Could it be that you've always been a Dionae? :thinking_face:

Application Accepted.