A Game of Shadows: Chess

I was just on a different server for a bit and noticed they had an interesting checker boardgame system which was pretty fascinating to observe. For a moment, I thought to myself. Why not suggest to add a chess boardgame to this server? It can be either on an arcade machine, laptop, or a physical boardgame. Though, I recommend chess being on the laptop to further Arrow's IT Project. I feel this can contribute to antagonist RP in many ways, although I will provide two good ways. It can be a cliche of an innocent person playing chess with an evil antagonist mastermind as a gamble like Sherlock Holmes, ransom with station as in "If you want see your precious Head of Personnel alive, you will have to beat me in chess!!!". What says you?

I went ahead and took a look at a OOP Programming. It's possible with Java but I'm unsure with BYOND.

It's possible to do. HTML interface that sends updates to the players playing and anyone who opted into observe.

However, implementing chess rules (ie automatically determining how a piece moves) is probably way too much work and it would be better if there was freedom.

It's possible to do. HTML interface that sends updates to the players playing and anyone who opted into observe.

However, implementing chess rules (ie automatically determining how a piece moves) is probably way too much work and it would be better if there was freedom.

Freedom is a good idea if we're RPing here. What if my character doesn't know the rules or wants to cheat? If there's a physical board instead of it being electronic (in-game) then why not?

It's a good idea. I've often times have though about playing some kind of mini-game while in some of the more repeatative jobs. If there was a way to have games other than chess (my go-to would be Diplomacy) it would be amazing. No idea how that could be implemented though.

• 1 month later...
  • Gem locked this topic