[Denied]Comet Blaze's IPC Application

BYOND Key: Comet Blaze

Character Names: Axel Smith, Nick Roberts, Jack Philips AKA: Ares

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Exempt

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I wish to play this specific race because, ever since I was a child I was fascinated by robots, androids and AI in general. I admired their ability to just focus on the task at hand. I also love the way they analyze a situation, always so objective and calculating. I also love how humorous they can be in the sense that they take things so literally that it's funny, for instance when someone says that flying a space ship "Is not rocket science" and they reply "Flying a space ship is rocket science" (I know it's a bad example but you get the point). I also would like to be part of the fight for equal rights, especially with the upcoming elections, I feel like it would be interesting to experience that through an IPC's point of view.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Unlike humans the IPCs lack a "gut instinct" meaning they will always search for the logical solution to a problem before executing it. IPCs do not require food or beverage, but need to recharge every once in awhile. While some IPCs, like the Hephaestus G1 and G2 are able to EVA with only a cooling system, most IPCs, much like humans, require a hardsuit. However, unlike humans, IPCs don't breathe meaning that instead of packing their hardsuits with oxygen tanks IPCs will use portable suit cooling devices. As stated before, IPCs don't breathe but they still need some sort of gas, to pass the heat, any gas will do and that includes phoron. Unlike borgs, IPCs have hands which grant them the ability to perform tasks such as grabbing, climbing and going up ladders. Also unlike cyborgs, IPCs are able to charge via APC, which comes with a risk of getting shocked, but allows for recharging in almost every room.

Character Name: Unit-1360 nicknamed Vanguard

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Unit-1360 started out working for a company based on Phoenix Park where it served as accountant. During its time there it grew acquainted with some of the workers which believed in equal rights for synthetics. Those workers encouraged, and even offered to financially help 1360 afford its freedom. In 2457 1360 manages to pay its cost 10 times and one of the workers named Michael Douglas payed its chassis and offered housing among his flat. 1360 continued to work at the company and over the course of the year grew increasingly attached to Michael. 1360 was beginning to adapt to its free life, when is 2458 the Sol Alliance declared a blockade. With the raising of prices life at Michael's flat was getting increasingly difficult to the point where 1360 considered leaving as it was a burden to its friend. 1360 was about to leave when it was stated that the Sol alliance had invaded and was capturing synthetics. Michael immediately hid 1360 and gave it a PDA for it to follow the news. It was through those news that 1360 saw what was being to its kind, and those who were responsible. 1360 began developing a disliking towards Sol, the Skrell and Purpose, that saw its kind being slaughtered and did nothing. 1360 decided that it would help NanoTrasen fulfill its goals and protect against groups that were jealous of its success like the Sol Alliance was.

When the conflict subsided 1360 bid farewell to Michael and joined the NanoTrasen Academy where it wished to study Corporate Law, when it finished its studied it was asked it applied to become part of the ISD. 1360 was then taken to the academy where it was to going to get 3 months of training. However, the job of security was too dangerous for a "fragile" baseline frame and 1360 decided to change chassis. With a new chassis, came a new name, 1360 had no experience in name picking, however its fellow trainees suggested one: "Vanguard", there was something about that name, perhaps the meaning of it, it didn't matter, it was chosen now. Upon finally graduating from the academy Vanguard was dispatched to the Aurora where it would serve Cadet-ship and 1 month later become a fully fledged officer

What do you like about this character? I like his motivations, as in the end all it wants is justice and to protect those that protected its kind. (by protected I mean not sell them back to slavery)

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I feel like I have improved a bit through the course of this month, I'd classify as a 7.5/10. I usually play cyborg, so I feel like I have gotten a bit of experience when it comes to synthetics

Notes: I am aware it has not been a month since my last application, however with the upcoming elections I wish that this character was part of that, as its goals and origin are quite similar to Aristalus'.

Ive seen your borg around some, and to me, you're basically a secborg main. I cant say Ive got too much positive to chuck your way, as the one time I had you as my underling as malf, you were so extremely aggressive, all time time. You wanted to kill, maim and shoot up anyone you came in contact with when I was trying to cause non-violent conflict.

And seeing you're applying for a security IPC, what makes this any different? You'll have more tools at your disposal with less risk of someone yelling "ROGUE".

I guess what Im trying to convey is, you need to chill with your aggressive synthplay. Synthetics does not feel displeasure, anger or hate, and would not act on any annoyance that you might feel OOCly. A bloodthirsty machine would be a war machine, and there would be none of them on Aurora.

Im not gonna add my support for this application, but I wont add anything against it either. Just fix your synth playstyle to reflect this better, please.

It is true, I am very aggressive, but only in malf however, as I take it, when one malfunctions its moralities are thrown out the window, my intent was provide the feeling that something was clearly wrong with that machine's processor, I do note that on that round i might've been too aggressive. Thank you for your feedback, I will try to improve

BYOND Key: Comet Blaze

Character Names: Axel Smith, Nick Roberts, Jack Philips AKA: Ares

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Exempt

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I wish to play this specific race because, ever since I was a child I was fascinated by robots, androids and AI in general. I admired their ability to just focus on the task at hand. I also love the way they analyze a situation, always so objective and calculating. I also love how humorous they can be in the sense that they take things so literally that it's funny, for instance when someone says that flying a space ship "Is not rocket science" and they reply "Flying a space ship is rocket science" (I know it's a bad example but you get the point). I also would like to be part of the fight for equal rights, especially with the upcoming elections, I feel like it would be interesting to experience that through an IPC's point of view.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Unlike humans the IPCs lack a "gut instinct" meaning they will always search for the logical solution to a problem before executing it. IPCs do not require food or beverage, but need to recharge every once in awhile. While some IPCs, like the Hephaestus G1 and G2 are able to EVA with only a cooling system, most IPCs, much like humans, require a hardsuit. However, unlike humans, IPCs don't breathe meaning that instead of packing their hardsuits with oxygen tanks IPCs will use portable suit cooling devices. As stated before, IPCs don't breathe but they still need some sort of gas, to pass the heat, any gas will do and that includes phoron. Unlike borgs, IPCs have hands which grant them the ability to perform tasks such as grabbing, climbing and going up ladders. Also unlike cyborgs, IPCs are able to charge via APC, which comes with a risk of getting shocked, but allows for recharging in almost every room.

Character Name: Unit-1360 nicknamed Vanguard

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Unit-1360 started out working for a company based on Phoenix Park where it served as accountant. During its time there it grew acquainted with some of the workers which believed in equal rights for synthetics. Those workers encouraged, and even offered to financially help 1360 afford its freedom. In 2457 1360 manages to pay its cost 10 times and one of the workers named Michael Douglas payed its chassis and offered housing among his flat. 1360 continued to work at the company and over the course of the year grew increasingly attached to Michael. 1360 was beginning to adapt to its free life, when is 2458 the Sol Alliance declared a blockade. With the raising of prices life at Michael's flat was getting increasingly difficult to the point where 1360 considered leaving as it was a burden to its friend. 1360 was about to leave when it was stated that the Sol alliance had invaded and was capturing synthetics. Michael immediately hid 1360 and gave it a PDA for it to follow the news. It was through those news that 1360 saw what was being to its kind, and those who were responsible. 1360 began developing a disliking towards Sol, the Skrell and Purpose, that saw its kind being slaughtered and did nothing. 1360 decided that it would help NanoTrasen fulfill its goals and protect against groups that were jealous of its success like the Sol Alliance was.

When the conflict subsided 1360 bid farewell to Michael and joined the NanoTrasen Academy where it wished to study Corporate Law, when it finished its studied it was asked it applied to become part of the ISD. 1360 was then taken to the academy where it was to going to get 3 months of training. However, the job of security was too dangerous for a "fragile" baseline frame and 1360 decided to change chassis. With a new chassis, came a new name, 1360 had no experience in name picking, however its fellow trainees suggested one: "Vanguard", there was something about that name, perhaps the meaning of it, it didn't matter, it was chosen now. Upon finally graduating from the academy Vanguard was dispatched to the Aurora where it would serve Cadet-ship and 1 month later become a fully fledged officer

What do you like about this character? I like his motivations, as in the end all it wants is justice and to protect those that protected its kind. (by protected I mean not sell them back to slavery)

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I feel like I have improved a bit through the course of this month, I'd classify as a 7.5/10. I usually play cyborg, so I feel like I have gotten a bit of experience when it comes to synthetics

Notes: I am aware it has not been a month since my last application, however with the upcoming elections I wish that this character was part of that, as its goals and origin are quite similar to Aristalus'.

Hi there! I've been assigned to handle your application.

So digging in, unit 1360 was built with the purpose for being an accountant, and during its time as an accountant, familiarizes itself with the synthetic rights movement. The first thing I really want to say is that I appreciate how Vanguard is consistently referred to as "it" rather than given a gender. That's one thing that has always irked me about IPC players is that the assignment of gender tends to lead to more humanoid play than synthetic, but you're very consistent. I see that in 2457 it was able to buy its freedom 10x over and that one of his coworkers bought him a chassis and housed him. This is where the application kind of starts to lose its hook for me. Paying his freedom 10x over? The general theme with a lot of IPCs is that conditions are setup to make it so that they're effectively wageslaved into never being able to pay their "debts," that way they can be consistently exploited ad infinitum. 10x over is the cost for freedom is meant to be a hard number to reach. I guess a better question here is how many years did Unit 1360 work its job, and did he have to pay Michael back for his generous purchase?

Things like like and dislike seem more emotional and human to me than synthetic. There's a very good depiction of Unit 1360 logical hiding during the Frost occupation where free IPCs were rounded up and sold. But it's pretty puzzling when you state that he started to dislike the Sol Alliance, Skrell, and... Purpose? The synthetic colony? For doing nothing against the largest and arguably most powerful navy in the galaxy? Considering the Frost occupation was over a year before Purpose broke its isolationism by contacting anyone, I think trying to begrudge Purpose is kinda outlandish considering there's a good chance they weren't even watching. The appearance of drones from Purpose is a recent development that happened a full year after the Frost occupation. But going back to terms such as like/dislike, I think distrust would probably capture the synthetic nature of Vanguard better. When it calculates its odds it should just factor them as riskier, rather than having something as human as a feeling.

1360 decided that it would help NanoTrasen fulfill its goals and protect against groups that were jealous of its success like the Sol Alliance was.

Is this actually what is believed about NanoTrasen's intentions? That's uh, pretty optimistic for the megacorp calling the shots in most parts of the galaxy.

Going from accountant to security officer is a pretty big and weird jump of jobs. One so big that 1360 had to get a completely new chassis. Plus, there's nothing anywhere that says baselines can't be security. It's just a really weird change in gears. The whole application so far strongly suggests Vangaurd would have a job like Head of Personnel, or Internal Affairs Agent, maybe even Quartermaster. Something involving the accounting of either money or goods and the management of assets. I don't really see why 1360 would downgrade to security work. It's also not specified to what chassis it changed. Did it just completely change over to an industrial frame to be brawnier like it suggests? Or was its old baseline frame really weak and it just got a newer baseline frame? Either way the shift from accounting to security is a real heel turn with murky motivations. Rereading, I'm supposing the motivation is to protect NanoTrasen from threats, believing that NanoTrasen's goals itinerary include protection of synthetic life. But that's pretty flimsy to put all your chips on a giant corrupt megacorporation. I can't help but feel that the justification is contrived because 1360 was intended to be a security IPC with some backstory, but the way its executed doesn't flow well.

The above criticisms, combined with your only feedback on this application being that you have a tendency to play really bloodythirsty and aggressive, lead me to believe the end game might be to rootin tootin robust as an industrial frame IPC. Checking with admins turned up that you didn't have any notes or warnings or anything for that kind of behavior, but it's the only feedback we have to go off of on your application. For now I'm going to deny this application, but I encourage you to take the questions asked over the course of the review as questions which, if answered in a newer better application, would make for a much stronger one. You have a much better understanding of lore now as compared to your first application, but now we need to land good backstory and reputation. In the future, accumulation of feedback should be considered really important. Remember that you can advertise your applications occasionally in discord and once a round on station in OOC.