Kitchen, Library, Chapel, Hydroponics, and Bar Overhaul.

Pretty much what i'm doing in vine form:

olQZn63.png

I hate the new kitchen and bar and I made it. Also people want hydroponics to be next to the kitchen like a proper server so here it is. This map contains the combined feedback of many individuals so lets hope its to everyone's liking.

Plans:

- Make a proper chapel or something.

- Add pipes and detail

Weighing in, as a resident plant feeder.

1) I love the removal of the soil plots. They have no business being in a hydroponics bay.

2) I love the addition of more trays. This makes the job a two slot role, where both workers can focus on their own areas, versus the former tight cramped position that forced tow people to step on toes.

2) Instead of the three closets, perhaps a crate could be in one of those spots for extra supplies? Often there's excess stuff that could be better stored somewhere else.

IA8wQDN.png

Maintenance areas were added. Chapel basic shape has been completed.

I think the Chapel should be slightly smaller, as I doubt 25 people are expected to be inside for mass or another ritual at any one time.

• Were the dorms moved or deleted? I would kind of like them to stick around, if possible.
  • I really like the kind of 'busy industrial kitchen' feel the current layout has, if that makes sense. Could that be carried over in any way, or are you dead set against the current layout?
  • If the general bar/lounge area is being revamped too, I would definitely like to see the return of booths. I have a dream of organizing a functioning restaurant one day.
  • Has maintenance size around that area been condensed, or kept the same?

Weighing in as a resident lazyman:

I'd like it if the tables were only 1 tile separate from the microwave so I don't have to move back and forth when I'm putting in 12 meatballs, 2 at a time. I'm not sure how that looks aesthetically, however.

I also think it'd be cool (for symmetry reasons) to have the window between the kitchen and garden extend just 1 more tile, to behind the oven so it lines up with that hydro space.

Observations after playing the new kitchen for a week or so:

1) It's a lot better than the old one

2) It needs a requests console

3) It would be better if you couldn't see through the smart fridge, so that dropping the shutters actually gives the privacy you want

4) It would be nice if the ringer wasn't directly under the shutters, so people could still use it (without alt-clicking) when shutters are closed

5) Having an ATM outside the hallway counter like there was before would be appropriate since some chefs charge money and some patrons want to give tips

6) Having 2 2x3 tables would be preferable to having 4 1x3 tables

7) The light switch should probably be next to the entrance instead of next to the serving counter

8) The oven heating and performance are still pretty wonky and might benefit from being simplified (E.G. a flat heat-up time and scrapping the mechanic of losing heat from opening the door, replacing it with some other minor inconvenience, like actually heating up the room and making you uncomfortable)

9) Is it necessary for the gibber to display that its safeties are disabled when it has been emagged? It's kind of just like a flashing red ANTAGONIST IS HERE beacon. It's bad enough that gibbing someone doesn't immediately destroy the evidence like it used to (now you have to manually pick up their head, both arms, both legs, their liver, kidneys, lungs, AND brain afterward, making it a grueling process), but now when you DO successfully wipe them (fun fact: robot arms can be blended in the grinder), the first sec who decides to bust in can still see that you're prime for validing

10) It would be nice if you could spawn with maybe 10 or so random ingredients like produce, for those rounds where there is no botanist, but maybe that's just me being needy

11) One of the biggest strengths of the current Burger kitchen is that it gives you great opportunities for privacy by having interior corners that block line-of-sight and (this is crucial) a freezer that faces away from the hallway and other prying eyes. It looks like the new map you're working on forsakes this opportunity for stealth, which I am not too excited about

Comments on Burger's latest proposed kitchen map in this thread:

1) As if the giant serving bar weren't revealing enough, the windows between the kitchen and the bar totally eliminate any possibility of secrecy in this kitchen. AND the windows between botany and the bar. The windows should be replaced with walls and just leave a long table with shutters (like the current map) to facilitate visibility and motion between them (on both sides - the bar and botany). Chef is one of those roles where you're tied to this specific location - security and janitors and cargo techs and scientists can all run around without attracting suspicion, but if you're a chef or a bartender outside the kitchen or bar, all eyes are on you. So we need to give these areas opportunities for privacy so that they can actually be used by antagonists.

2) The wide tables are back and I'm glad

3) Could we limit the height of the hallway-side serving area? It's nearly as long as the actual bar, which seems pretty extreme and unnecessary, since the hallway side is typically used for grabbing food and going instead of trying to be The Big Social Meeting Place that the bar is... I wouldn't really want it to be any taller than 4 tiles like it is in the current map. This could also help with the privacy issue

4) Other than the privacy thing, it appears to maintain the strengths of his current kitchen map. Spacious enough for 2 chefs.

Also the chapel should start with at least 1 coffin in it, because coffins are cool

Wait, the Science Misc rooms? You mean the filthy, not used unless it's for some obscure hiding spot for an antag, small, dinky rooms located in the tunnel that isn't even really connected to Science, except for said tunnel?

Those rooms?

Because losing those don't mean a hill of beans when you have a department that has two floors, half of the second floor never really being used. It's like Medbay complaining about the loss of something when we have an entire floor we never use. Have someone throw a few misc rooms on your second floor. Just because something is removed with one map haul, doesn't mean it can't be added.

Instead of -1ing something that looks really good and makes better RP with the civilians (which, let's be fair, that's all they GET. We yell at them if they play along with antags half the time), ask Burger to implement the misc rooms somewhere else. Make a suggestion. If it doesn't go through, THEN -1 it.

This looks good, from someone who enjoys mapping. It flows better and makes more sense to put Botany there.

I will actually miss that misc room. That was often used as a way to show off an experiment or piece of circuitry to some of science. Not to mention it had an autopsy room for looking at the effects on monkeys. They're used a lot more than just "a hiding place for antags". There were a couple bombsuits in there, too, which I always thought was weird :thinking:

I noticed it right away, but the reason I didn't say anything was because I figured the remapped telescience could do just about the same thing, except without the autopsy chamber. I also used that little hallway as a safe escape during a lab lockdown on no power (you can actually make your way around from RnD to where telescience is now, into the breakroom, and then into maintenance) but since the chemistry room now connects directly to maintenance, it doesn't matter anymore as long as scientists and lab assistants have access to that maint tunnel. Everyone in science, period, should have access to the telescience and break room ones but only RnD-access scientists should have access to the chemistry room one. Make sense? Makes sense.

So the only thing I'd say is readd an autopsy table somewhere.

Wait, the Science Misc rooms? You mean the filthy, not used unless it's for some obscure hiding spot for an antag, small, dinky rooms located in the tunnel that isn't even really connected to Science, except for said tunnel?

Those rooms?

Because losing those don't mean a hill of beans when you have a department that has two floors, half of the second floor never really being used. It's like Medbay complaining about the loss of something when we have an entire floor we never use. Have someone throw a few misc rooms on your second floor. Just because something is removed with one map haul, doesn't mean it can't be added.

Instead of -1ing something that looks really good and makes better RP with the civilians (which, let's be fair, that's all they GET. We yell at them if they play along with antags half the time), ask Burger to implement the misc rooms somewhere else. Make a suggestion. If it doesn't go through, THEN -1 it.

This looks good, from someone who enjoys mapping. It flows better and makes more sense to put Botany there.

My gripe is this was failed to mention in the post. Im remaining neutral unless he release's a final version that can be play tested and given crituque. It may seem small to you but to people who main science the room is usful to them and there concerns shouldnt be ignored

A suggestion;

Add curtains/tintable windows to the booths, so that people can have private conversations and the like. This could help in game-modes such as cult, rev, and the like where people need secluded shifty spots to talk about the nefarious head/non culties.

Plus private booths give the bar an upscale feel!

-1 Why does science have to suffer? You literaly stealth removed science's misc rooms without even expressing that in the post

My gripe is this was failed to mention in the post. Im remaining neutral unless he release's a final version that can be play tested and given crituque. It may seem small to you but to people who main science the room is usful to them and there concerns shouldnt be ignored

one of these posts is not like the other

science misc room was redesigned into a smaller general observatory room. with the telescience area. in the history of aurorastation, no one has ever used the atmospheric systems present in it, as its not needed.

-1 Why does science have to suffer? You literaly stealth removed science's misc rooms without even expressing that in the post

science misc room was redesigned into a smaller general observatory room. with the telescience area. in the history of aurorastation, no one has ever used the atmospheric systems present in it, as its not needed.

But theres no reason for that other then "I dont like it". Theres plently of other areas where the chapel can go, we have a entire middle level floor thats un-used.

But theres no reason for that other then "I dont like it". Theres plently of other areas where the chapel can go, we have a entire middle level floor thats un-used.

Moving the chapel to the construction level is a massive middle finger to chapel players. It not that I don't like it, it's that its less valuable space than an actual chapel.

Moving the chapel to the construction level is a massive middle finger to chapel players. It not that I don't like it, it's that its less valuable space than an actual chapel.

Ok but why is your opinion larger then others. Your considering civilian jobs more valuable from a opinion instead of a actual reason. Give me one good legitimate reason why the middle floor cant be used for any of this besides "giving the middle finger" to a playerbase, and if so, how would this give a middle finger there?