[Denied] Head of Staff - Veterangary

BYOND key: Veterangary

Character names: Camryn Hujsak, Jake Norman, Jeff Norman, Javier Horton, Nathaniel Gibson, Ashton Milne.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: I’d say about a year and a half, maybe more.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: Been around on Aurora for awhile, and recently started to get more known within the community. Usually I’d randomly hop on, but recently with nothing of interest, I’ve been sticking with this. Summing it up, essentially I wanted a head of staff character to more involve myself with the community, and the atmosphere as a whole, rather than just standing off to the side.

Why did you come to Aurora?: Quite frankly, a few years back I used to just hop on SS13 with a friend(s) just to mess around, either on public servers, or on our own private ones. Eventually after actually getting used to the game, I started to settle down and actually attempt to play it as intended. Firstly I started with another, less popular station, rated as medium to high RP. Initially I was still a bit unserious with the genre, so it didn’t last long but even still looking back now, those were some serious roleplay nerds. Eventually, after that server quite literally exploded, I landed upon Aurora. Dunno why this was my choice, and why I stuck with it, since the hotkeys, code, etc was kinda unfamiliar. Anyway, that’s basically it.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: Yeah, I skimmed over important details, mainly rules and IC-oriented requirements.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplay, as the word itself defines unconsciously, is to play a role. With my interpretation of that, roleplay is just some form of an activity, or a game to allow someone to break away from reality, in some way. Not only, it’s kind of just a way people put themselves into the shoes of others, or spectate something from a perspective that is not their own. With this idea, roleplay sort of turns into a interaction of a simulated reality whether that reality be based on fiction, or nonfiction. All together, it should create a somewhat immersive atmosphere where the characters could be implemented into, and interact based on the character’s personality/ethics, or even a reflection of their own.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

OOCly, the purpose of a Head of Staff, from my perspective is to give the station as a whole a corporate atmosphere, in one small way or another. Yet, this isn’t the only purpose, they also keep the roleplay interaction of a department set to a specific way, either by subtle interaction through their action and inaction, or through direct order. Almost like dungeon master's (not quite), they create their own atmosphere amongst a department, person, or the station as a whole. Ensuring either a free willed ground, or having their necks breathed down constantly. Other than that, they’re tasked to ensure a fair and rule abiding playstyle, for it to be enjoyable, rather chorable. Unless for some reason, they wanted to make it that way.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: Honestly, correct me if I’m wrong, but seemingly whitelisted players don’t really maintain that much of a responsibility of anything other than abiding by the rules, and correcting those who don’t. Simply put, they’re players who have the option of putting themselves under more weight, that they see fit for their liking. But, to the fullest extent their responsibilities should match up with what I mentioned in the last question. Firstly, they should maintain a fair and enjoyable RP experience, for all parties (less escalation/metagaming/etc). Secondly, maintain the atmosphere of the workplace, assuring it feels as desired, making each worker on edge for their job, or socializing and chatting with them. Usually, in my normal playstyle, I constantly give antags the benefit of the doubt, not immediately jumping to claims, or unnecessarily escalating the situation, unless told, ordered, or convinced to do so. Usually, in my time on the server I’ve seen more cases of metagaming weaknesses/outright purposeful escalation just to get everything out of the way, and to counter this, I’d continue my behavior in attempting to suppress those temptations just to ‘gank’ or ‘murderbone’ a bunch of antags, after a small infraction.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Camryn Hujsak

Character age: 30 (Had this character for awhile, not sure if age updates automatically)

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Born into the glory days of his own kind, the late 2420s Camryn Hujsak had firstly been set on an unfortunate path, evident from his family name. Although, along this path hadn’t set him any deeper than a few inches into the ground, still enough to wiggle his toes as he move onward with his life. All he had learned throughout his childhood seemed like a incoherent mess of non-sense, as the world around him had advanced greatly with his absence, however his path hadn’t destined him to be nowhere. However, as his cyphered mind comes towards decryption, entering his adultery years was no help to him, as the sense of false hope, and doubt had simply blurred that from his mind, leaving him in the stereotypical situation of being lost. At the end of his highschool years, he had lost the path almost entirely, and the assistive breadcrumb trail had gone silent.

Entering late adulthood wasn’t as tough as Camryn visualized, from his own perspective at least. Instead, for him it was a giant leap of faith as he threw himself at at something he’d never imagine doing. He had never thrown himself into unknown grounds, but he had done it. What was the worst that could happen? Throwing himself could not be a better way to describe the situation he had put him in, since he still hasn’t left the dreaded rock, during a thriving space age, but instead landed him into seeking conflict. The ‘New Seoul Combat Training Centre’, where he ended up spending five years, being fortunate enough to pass the complete course. However, despite passing the few years, his path still had some tricks along the way ready for him. Starting with the loss of his hand, his right to be specific, which caused many complications for his future plans. With a tight budget, he couldn’t afford any cutting edge prosthetics, basically his unofficial discharge from any service position in his interest. However, eventually upon his searches for work, he found a job that could possibly work out for him, just happening to be the same company he still works at to this date, NanoTrasen.

What do you like about this character?:

Mostly the nostalgic feeling of this character, after it being one of my first characters. But aside that, personality would be one of the traits I like.

What do you dislike about this character?:

The unfortunate name.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:

From the way I had intentioned him to be, was someone who’d be able to understand both sides, and be able to put themself into the standpoint of others. He’s played in a way that I feel is flexible, and realistic. One of the things I had done to ensure the enjoyability of roleplay, especially due to the common and maybe excessive, antagonist rounds and even some events that happen canonically during extended rounds. But, however from an IC standpoint, he’s also one of those people who doesn’t like to ask for things, but be given them instead, which seems a bit random for a choice to put here, but it sorta makes sense.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

Probably, an 7/10, if I were milking it. 6/10 to be honest, but 6 just looks lame. But entirely, I don’t really use emotes that often, relying more on ingame mechanics. That part never stuck with my habits, unfortunately. Even though I played other games using similar mechanics, just never liked nor stuck with it.

Extra notes: Apologies if the education part doesn’t quite make sense. From what I could find, most of the educations for the staff position in question are a bit vague in terms of outcome, or focus. Also, I’m horrible at biographies, so mine’s a bit corny.

Your character doesn't fit the "Ten year experience in a security related field" I don't believe. If you took the full five year course, at 18 you'd have graduated at 23. At the current age of 30, you'd have had 7 years at maximum. Schooling does not count towards attendance in a field in real life, so I doubt it does in this case. Though this isn't really a major issue, what's changing a few years?

My experience with Hujsak is very very positive as a security officer. And as a Warden, though I haven't played with him in a long time. I'd be happy to give my +1 to this!

As far as I'm aware, you're supposed to use an already established character. May be wrong on that, but it wouldn't be impossible for someone to be able to be a Head of Staff. Someone who's played a lovely Warden as a character for a long time is surely able to become a HOS Amory. :P

As far as I'm aware you don't have to use a pre-made character you've played to apply for. Back on my application Matt even said that it's fine if I made a character specifically for the application itself. So while it is a good idea to have a well-known character to apply with you can easily make a new one specifically for it.

The quote being sean seen here.

As for the application itself, I've seen Hujsak around a handful of times and he didn't seem like a bad person, so I would like to see how they fare as a Head of Staff. Along with the application being good and no major faults - barring the age thing as pointed out by others - and thus I give this a +1.

I'm with Amory. It does not have to be an established character, nor is it preferred. It's just an option.

I don't think Hujsak meets the requirements for HoS, either.

That said, your roleplay is very good, and you're one of the sec players I enjoy seeing around. I think you deserve at least a head of staff trial, but I agree that the timeline doesn't quite fit with the requirements of HoS. +1 from me if another character is used, otherwise neutral.

I've RP'd with you quite a few times, and I have literally never had a bad experience with you. You are incredibly fun to be around, your characters are great. I personally voted Hujsak to become an Interim HoS during a landmine round, and I think you handled it pretty well. Except for the minor 3 year not enough security work problem, I think you would be a really good command staff member! (We really need more good command staff, please.)

Big 'ole +1 from me! Should probably edit a few stuff, though. Ye.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, and while I'm responding here, might as well respond to some of them in my own opinion. Firstly, to Amory.

Pump up the forum posts would be my main suggestion. Active community member helps when becoming whitelisted. I don't feel your sec character should be a HoS. I don't see why everyone and their mother needs to be promoted to Head. Make a new character.

I see where you're coming from, and I completely understand. But, from my experience from other similar games, having a developed character can usually work better for me, and in some cases for others. In my view, sometimes just popping in a new (whitelisted/high-ranking) character can just be random, an sometimes just outright bland, or in some cases, a heavily fabricated atmosphere around them. For others, this might just work out fine but for me I'm not quite so sure how it'd work. However, from the current feedback, it seems pretty neutral on both sides and I'll probably make a decision based on the outcome of the feedback. As for forums activity, I'll do my best, but I am sometimes around on the discord.

As far as I'm aware, you're supposed to use an already established character. May be wrong on that, but it wouldn't be impossible for someone to be able to be a Head of Staff. Someone who's played a lovely Warden as a character for a long time is surely able to become a HOS Amory. :P

You do not need to use an estabilished character. A new character is fine.

As a heads up, this application does not need to be reposted or modified due to the new format.

Just a heads up we haven't forgoten about you.

However the recent complaint that has cropped up will postpone your eventual acceptance or denial and will have impact on our decision.

Thus we would encourage you to work on debunking that and then proceed with your heads of staff application so you don't end up swarmed.

Thank you for understanding.