General forum rules apply.
This forum is for project authors (coders, spriters, etcetera) to create feedback topics on their contributions. This is not a place to upvote/downvote a project.
For a project to be submitted, it must either be:
  • Currently actively in development (PR not required, though highly recommended)
  • Recently implemented and currently awaiting follow-up feedback.

Re: Nerfing Parapen Stun

Maybe it went unnoticed for a good reason?

I mean I get moving away from stuns but someone using a parapen in actual combat is quite rare? It's usually a stab-in-the-back weapon and its whole point is that the victim doesn't have the time to alert anyone of what happened.
...the Hangman corrected me; "First the alien, then the Jew... I did no more than you let me do."
- "The Hangman", by Maurice Ogden.

Can't wait to see how many rounds get shut down immediately from parapen victims miraculously having their first instinct upon feeling confused and dizzy to be saying over the radio "Oh man guys this sure is weird haha I was just standing here with my buddy Anne Taggart and then I started feeling confused and dizzy, wild"

If it drops to 4TC as discussed in the PR, I could begrudgingly support it, but it will still be a shame to see. Antagonists already suffer from 0 ability to enforce the storyline/scheme/plot whatever they have planned, and this nerf will just further ensure that it's virtually impossible to setup any cohesive kidnapping events without being exceptionally lucky.
Bauser#2332
Gabriel Diaz .............................................. "You felt your sins crawling on your back."
Adrien Major ... "Aww, did the big scary man make fun of you? I think you're cool!"

Here is my proposition:
No injection message.
Instant:
Stamina loss.
17 Second Mute.

3 second delay:
19 second confusion.
19 second dizziness.

7 second delay:
27 second sleep.
...the Hangman corrected me; "First the alien, then the Jew... I did no more than you let me do."

Coalf wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 am
Here is my proposition:
No injection message.
Instant:
Stamina loss.
17 Second Mute.

3 second delay:
19 second confusion.
19 second dizziness.

7 second delay:
27 second sleep.
I support this idea, if there were a message and a delay you are basically asking for people to bend the rules and screw over whoever uses it.
Spoiler:
When you have been running on reserve backup power for 30 minutes straight.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the pen used for anything but kidnapping rp. It’s never used as a gank, which is the whole point of reducing stun based combat. It costs 6 telecrystals which is kind of a lot for a single use item.

-1, not that -1s seem to matter.
My characters!
Spoiler:
  • Dr. Ellie Shoshanna (Head of Personnel): Retired, station soccer mom. Fitness nut. Workaholic. Too friendly.
  • Dr. Fernando Gonzales (Chief Medical Officer): Competent. Total asshole. Recovering addict. Likes knitting.
  • Tyler McMullen(Cargo Technician): Dorky skater kid with no life direction, likes disco.
  • Jiq'uiax Wrquiil (Head of Personnel): Ex-WetSkrell star. Mostly useless, kind of racist.
  • Katir Storge (Head of Security): More than likely a little drunk, very relaxed.

-1 This is primarily used for kidnapping. Understand that the moment you use this item, medical knows.

The oxyloss practically raises alarmbells in medical. It's single use. It's close range. It's blocked by gloves, blocked by masks, blocked by clothes. It's designed for a single purpose; to get the jump on someone without them being able to react.

This item is already balanced. If you're actually looking to reliably stun someone, use a dart gun. Use force gloves. Use wrestling books.

Furthermore, changing an entirely unused chemical for the purpose of nerfing a single one-use item seems a bit over the top. Zombie Powder requires carpotoxin. It's nigh impossible to get.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I don't think any of you have an understanding of how an injection check works.
Parapen doesn't work against armor, only hardsuits and softsuits, which only protect ERT. You can inject security officers easily unless they're wearing a hardsuit, which they never do on station because muh powergame rules.
Current Projects:
Thirst Mechanics

Future Projects:
Sleep Mechanics
Itch Mechanics
Arousal Mechanics

If you want to remove instant-stuns it has to go both ways.
Therefore I am not opposed to that change.
random quotes from random people
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Sorcflopter wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 am
The newest form I have decided to take is not a ckey, but a series of UDP requests, requests your server has to ACK and handle, that much power your server has to divert away from running ss13 for you all to tell my connection that it cant connect.

Again, it perhaps wasn't adressed in the first place because there was never a real issue with it in the first place.
It seems like change for the sake of change.

It could be justified with as you stated "muh powergaming rules" but I don't really see a reason for it since it hasn't been abused in any recent memory?

The big offending issue of instant stun tools was mostly their overuse, flash, flashbangs both. Parapen on the other hand is rarely used and when it is, it is used for its intended effect. Silent takedown.
In all my admintime I have not seen/don't remember anyone using a parapen to murder unconcious people due to how easily bwoinkable that is and because you can't really RP with someone who is blacked out.

Again, I'd support my timing rework I posted up there if we're going to be adamant about adding it. Otherwise the parapen is just going to be ignored for the sake of using killy weapons instead of knocky-outy weapons.

Return to “Projects”