I linked the Cataclysm wiki page for a specific reason, which is that I think it could serve as a great roadmap for choosing what bionics to implement. If you scroll to the bottom, it lists all the possible upgrades available in the game, segregating them into categories based on function (power generation, utility, offense, defense, passive versus active...). It even includes bionics that are needed in order to power other bionics (E.G. by consuming and burning alcohol, or by draining batteries, or by the mechanical action of walking...) and broken/faulty bionics conferring various negative effects (like leaking toxins, causing pain, or making annoying noises) if your upgrades are damaged or installed incorrectly, to balance out the benefit of being augmented. So it's a comprehensive enough list to serve as a total outline for mechanics we might want to implement in a cybernetics update.
Cataclysm is a tile-based game about survival and fighting and building, so a lot of its bionics' functions are functions that translate perfectly into Space Station 13. We could include bionics to:
- Integrate a set of engineer's tools into your hand so that you don't have to physically carry around a tool-box or tool-belt
- Introduce filtration systems into your lungs that negate the need for a gas mask to block out harmful airborne chemicals
- Install a needle into your fingertip so you can directly absorb substances into your bloodstream, or with an internal reservoir so you can inject chemicals without a physical syringe
- Automatically stabilize you with medicine like inaprovaline in the event that you sustain a certain threshold of damage
- Install lenses onto your eyes to make you immune to bright flashes, or to give you toggleable night vision, thermal vision, or etc.
- Replace your bones with a titanium facsimile so you're much harder to break
- Putting electronics inside your hand (I.E. multitool, cryptographic sequencer) for discreet hacking
Obviously, this would be a formidable undertaking from a coding standpoint. It would need to encompass the surgeries for implanting the equipment, the addition of energy reservoirs for non-synthetics, interactions when cybernetics become damaged or EMP'd... So this topic is mostly for gauging community interest and trying to define what features are most wanted.