[Accepted] FreshRefreshments Head of Staff app 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYOND key: FreshRefreshments

Character names: Most notable, Erin MacGregor, Suzuul Guwan, Mjraarjiarr Roshtanov, and Ziakra Brickscale. I havent updated my list in a little while, but most of my characters are in my signature. I have a lot.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Im very bad with perception of time, but probably over half a year by now, or getting near to such, most likely. Again, very poor with relative time.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: Command Roles have a certain degree of responsibility. I enjoy being given responsibility, its why I enjoyed playing QM when I regularly did. It felt more important. I want to be given a responsibility, and use the responsibilities of a head of staff to satisfactory results.

Why did you come to Aurora?: I originally came by with Erin MacGregor, as a Psych/Bartender, in search of HRP, as I had come from RP servers on various other mediums. After getting scolded a bit for jobhopping, I stuck with bartender, and actually learned firsthand how different the RP was here, rather than on Oracle, where I came from. I was having actual interaction, and although not all of it was good, I can safely say in hindsight that I appreciate the HRP far more than MRP, and have made good memories with my time here.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: Yes, I have.

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they? I have indeed received a few warnings on rules (particularly, on a deleted character, Bonnabelle Spakes), although they resulted only in warnings through ahelp. Recently, I have not recieved any administrative action aside from a few ahelps asking about my characters, just to confirm I was acting ICly or tell me to keep something in mind.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Roleplay is about creating a story, and running with it. It allows you to use your creativity, to create a separate personality, and interact with a completely different world, and the people in this world, or even change how a character reacts to things over time, such as gaining a fear of Vaurca after a massive warform attack. Its about being one of many writers, in a large, ever growing story. Even if not every action has a massive impact, characters still have an impact on one another.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: Someone who can be trusted to understand a department, its workings, and coordinate the people in such a department in response to actions that happen as the round goes on. Something to tether people.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: Whitelisted players are there to be a trusted source of information. Many CEs you could ask anything about the Engine and they would know it by heart, for example. Someone you know you can go to, if you have a question. Mentors, there to make sure anyone working knows how to perform their jobs, as well as have jurisdiction over their own department.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau ceti and how it affected your character and their career? Currently, theres all the news with the Lii’dra; a warform attack, a New Gibson centralized invasion and Blac K’ois outbreaks, and the reaction of the Vaurca in District 9, as well as the prejudice they face, most notably from Tajaran gangs. It spreads a degree of worry and distrust. My character wants to help with that. He wants to give himself selflessly to helping the Vaurca, but is facing an increasingly large argument against them. There is also the fact that ATLAS is coming to Mendell, something many people are very against, with over 10,000 signatures for them to be labelled as a hate group. While he is not particularly friendly with ATLAS, he far from condones drastic action done without danger of ones self. Defend yourself if you must, but do not be the one to instigate the fight. Finally, there is the election for VP; an IPC, Aristalus, vs a Tajaran, Fahjil. As a Si’akh, my character is far more predisposed to favoring Fahjil and his ethics, though this conflicts with his ingrained duty of supporting NanoTrasen, which falls more under Aristalus. It will be a tough choice for him, when the choice inevitably comes.

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted? Head of Security, and once I get a better idea for the character to use, Head of Personnel.

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking.:

Haz'ala Karak , Head of Security.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: 8/10. I feel that I do try and give people the best interactions that I can, though sometimes I do make mistakes, particularly in escalation. Unless someone is specifically attacking, or making serious threats, I do feel I am sometimes too slow to escalate a situation.

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action? Of course.

Have you familiarize yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles? Yes.

Extra notes: Also, any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated! I did post a Command app once, although I took it down as Erin MacGregor did not meet the requirements needed, and said I would reapply when I had a character in mind. Well, now I do!

Oho, a Si'akh HoS. Very nice.

Well, I've commented fully on your retracted app. I certainly believe you have the abilities to perform in a command role. You're not a selfish player, so having you in a head role will probably do the rounds some good. I'd ask you to be aware of the current issues regarding Heads, ie: Communication between them is bad right now.

Your roleplay is solid, your characters are good, and even as an antag, you do your best to help everyone have a good round. I've seen your security play as Rosh, and don't get any validy vibes from you, and frankly, I enjoy your willingness and ability to have communications with antags. You can work as a team, and I get the feeling you prefer to. You're also open to criticism (your last app, for example) and willing to admit your mistakes and improve.

I'm sure coalf will come in here and grill you further, but I certainly stand by your abilities to fulfill a head of staff role. A +1 from me.

Some last questions:

How do you feel about your abilities to coordinate with other departments?

What do you feel command has been lacking lately, and what do you plan to do to improve that?

Some people, myself included, feel that security doesn't get punished enough for regulation breaking (Long processing times, excessive force, etc.) Do you think this is an issue? If so, do you plan to crack down on it ICly?

As Sec, I dont feel I get the chance to coordinate with other departments, yet id love to take the chance to, and being in a command position would allow me to be able to help with that. I enjoy working with other departments, rather than being forced to stick with my own exclusively.

As for what Command has been lacking; Me, obviously A problem some Command has is communication. I understand that its not always super easy to stop and talk into the radio, as you might be in a dangerous situation, but its important for people to speak with their departments. A lot of Command has been doing that, yet I have noticed a few just ignoring and not speaking with their departments. I will say Security doesnt seem to be a big problem, and people are being better about it, though I still want to help set a better outward look for Command. Something some Command has problems with is shutting down gimmicks. The point of an antag is to add interest to the round, and I want to be conducive to that. Its no fun for anyone if Command just says "No."

Finally, yes. I really feel that Sec has a big reputation with metabuddy groups getting away with regulation breaking. Its something that was brought up by Josh when I spoke to him in DMs about this, and its something I will be sure to deal with whenever it comes up ICly. A loyalty implant has the best interests of the company in place; and its practically breaking established lore to allow officers to get away with breaking regulations, something the implant is meant to enforce. People make mistakes, myself included, but that doesnt mean they wont go unpunished, for the consequences such can have, both ICly and OOCly.

Oh god, pls no, everything but this. +1

Your roleplay is rocksolid, I don't think anyone will disagree with that. You also play a wide variety of departments so I have no worries about your intra- and interdepartment knowledge. But I am worried about one thing and I hope you can disprove my worries about that:

My interactions with you have been good and I enjoy them, so don't get this bit of criticism on the wrong side:

You are (sometimes) more often than not a very aggressive player. I know you are applying for HoS, so conflict and combat both is, I would call it the essence of security. But still, as HoS you are a member of command staff and the purpose of command is to oversee, guide and coordinate. I have no difficulties imagining you diving heads on into combat as HoS, even with a full security manifest. I am saying this because it's not only one character you play that has the tendency to be easily excitable.

Again, this is no criticism to your ability to roleplay per se, I am just asking myself if you can consistently handle the different playstyle and main emphasis a command position brings.

If so, then I would give you a non-meme +1.

Ill admit my more played characters will probably come off as aggressive, and a lot of them are. I enjoy playing louder, more enthusiastic characters, so the concern makes sense. Though, even if I dont regularly play them, my Dionae Engineer, Shaman, and Lab Assistant, I try to play as quieter, calmer types. I think I can play calmer characters, I simply don't, due to the manner of jobs I set for them. Of course, if I was a lone HoS with no other Sec, id probably take a more direct approach in regards to patrols and such. It all depends how many other Sec are around, and I don't want to take jobs from other Sec.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Freshrefreshments always plays with well developed characters and is one of the most easy-going players and I know that he will provide a lot of fun for people with his powers as command. he's one of my favorite boys!

Fresh has done a great job so far in a stressful role. I particularly like how dedicated he is to handling the fact that security often gets away too much with regulations-breaking (excessive force, neglect, etc) via IC means, keeping a close eye on them without breathing down their necks. I hope he continues to try and improve his ability to communicate, which has so far been very good, though falters under high-stress instances. That isn't a complaint; most of us are unable to keep up when autotrator hits the fan at maximum velocity. You're doing good so far. Keep it up and keep trying to better yourself.