Re: BurgerBB's Developer Application

ParadoxSpace wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:41 pm
Neinbox wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:30 pm
a bunch of things
Coders are not obligated to code for you. You need to learn to code yourself, this post sounded very entitled. Also, most of that was completely unrelated to Burger's application.
I do not have the time of day to code for myself, and I didn't mean to make it sound entitled in the slightest. Burger is essentially applying to be staff. I thought the entire premise of staff was to be there for the community and to work with other staff, and felt that the previous behavior that I experienced conflicted with that. My biggest problem is being able to work as a team. If this was something small like someone wanting to be able to fill a fire extinguisher with confetti and it was denied, that's understandable. But I need a bit of help that was hard to find from talented individuals for an entire species' mechanics because I am unable to do so myself- never in the loredev applications was it stated that it was a necessity to know how to code. I would be fine if it was instead stated the why with an outright "I simply feel uncomfortable working with you", I may be more okay with it. But instead what I experience is avoidance, passive-aggression, and spite. What happens if that's displayed to other staff members?

If I am still completely wrong to bring this up then I will delete my posts, but I feel that this is a valid concern of mine, which is overall about teamwork and communication which I provided examples to.
~ N E I N B O X ~
"I am the Lorax, and I speak for the Trees."
I am the Dionae loredev. Feel free to contact me with any suggestions, comments, questions or concerns!

Discord Contact: Neinbox#1317
Dionae Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/euB9AmX
An Aurora-related Discord server for game and lore-related discussion about Dionae. Feel free to join- Xenos welcome!

Characters
Spoiler:
|Ashley Long (Human Xenobotanist)|Uwasv Sidanelv (Unathi Engineer)|Rassvet Zver' (Tajaran Officer)|Sumerek Zver' (Tajaran Officer)|Protector of Tallest Tree (Diona Chaplain)|Oquoqua'Dali Walosh-Gadoki (Skrell Xenobotanist)|Ka'Akaix'Xiz K'Lax (Vaurca Miner)|R.I.P. (IPC Surgeon/Roboticist)|Titikakayi (Vox Merchant)|Moroz Zver' (Tajaran ERT)|

Character Information (Outdated)
Art
Spoiler:

And please note, I was actually encouraged to bring this up in the previous application by others but never got around to doing so because I decided to go with a benefit of a doubt. I'm not going to be idle anymore in these things when I'm told to discuss these things and bring it up now to know if anything has changed and if we can in fact work as a team and communicate.
~ N E I N B O X ~
I am the Dionae loredev. Feel free to contact me with any suggestions, comments, questions or concerns!

An Aurora-related Discord server for game and lore-related discussion about Dionae. Feel free to join- Xenos welcome!

Characters
Spoiler:
|Ashley Long (Human Xenobotanist)|Uwasv Sidanelv (Unathi Engineer)|Rassvet Zver' (Tajaran Officer)|Sumerek Zver' (Tajaran Officer)|Protector of Tallest Tree (Diona Chaplain)|Oquoqua'Dali Walosh-Gadoki (Skrell Xenobotanist)|Ka'Akaix'Xiz K'Lax (Vaurca Miner)|R.I.P. (IPC Surgeon/Roboticist)|Titikakayi (Vox Merchant)|Moroz Zver' (Tajaran ERT)|

Art
Spoiler:

At the time when you asked me to do code for you, I don't even think I was a trial dev. At that time I had a lot of PRs to write, including major overhauls of mechanics, such as mental medication or fire extinguishers, something like that. This is currently what's on my plate now:

Generally I never take suggestions. Sometimes I take suggestions if I feel incredibly motivated, but none of the ideas you presented to me really motivated me to drop everything and get right to it. Reminder that I am unpaid and everything I do is volunteer related so when I'm not staff, or even a trial dev, I'm not going to code something I don't feel motivated coding especially when I have other projects that need attending to, and I feel, aren't important enough to spend time on. Unless I'm being paid real cash money, motivation is the currency in which you pay me in.

Also life advice. If someone is going up to you and telling you that I'm talking shit about dionaea lore and the state of it, then maybe you need to consider that perhaps the people who are bringing it to your attention are doing so maliciously especially when the screenshot you posted was taken out of context and does not mean what you think it means.
Current Projects:
Thirst Mechanics

Future Projects:
Sleep Mechanics
Itch Mechanics
Arousal Mechanics

Before going further into this post, let it be known I don't hate burger or have anything against them However with Neinbox's posts I thought I should share some past interactions with burger.
To clarify context before this, we had been meming in discord with @ParadoxSpace and Voltage and trazz about I think replacing the Zorah soda with Booty Juice (Which is a tropic thunder meme) and sure can be seen as annoying or not funny.

Now sure, Burger is under no obligation to help teach anybody to code or be there tutor, however as a developer you are and should be considered to keep yourself at the same standard as staff, which entails being able to keep a sense of coolness in a situation you may dislike and sure the situation was annoying, however the issue I had was, Burger went from expressing his annoyance at me for in the past asking him questions, some even about bug requests he made to further help him get these resolved and he has no issue replying to these, to him making a complaint directed towards me for "being too annoying and messaging me", which to the benefit of the doubt he deleted to how dumb it really was. However to my next point, as a developer if you create a system for others to work and build off such as your dungeon PR, it should be atleast expected to help others further work forwards, and however at the time I had you blocked after the last issue for my own sake, I was told to ask you in the code channel which I did, the the same attitude was given
However again, Not bashing you really for this, however I think it should be made as a observation by yourself to improve from in the future. To move onto my final two points, another behavior that concerns me is: When you are upset with how something goes in a round that you dislike, it seems you make a PR to change or remove this aspect, that or you base it from your personal dislike of a issue and I think @Coalf described it very well in his post on the parapen thread
However my last issue and I will give you credit that you have improved but, learning conflict resolution skills I think would suit you for this position to make it easier on yourself, I have personaly noticed insitance where you or another player makes a comment in looc or on the forums and it ensnares you into a argument with said person, not going to post the examples but I assume you know who these people are.

With all of this said, im staying neutral for the time being. I rarely see burger ingame anymore and would like to be able to view ow he interacts with others, as you are a fantastic coder, however I believe you can work on your relations and people skills with others before you are placed into full developer. Should I see this improvement, I will gladly support this fully.

BurgerBB wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 pm
At the time when you asked me to do code for you, I don't even think I was a trial dev
No, but you had an application up to become a dev that was active for a very long time then.

Generally I never take suggestions. Sometimes I take suggestions if I feel incredibly motivated, but none of the ideas you presented to me really motivated me to drop everything and get right to it. Reminder that I am unpaid and everything I do is volunteer related so when I'm not staff, or even a trial dev, I'm not going to code something I don't feel motivated coding especially when I have other projects that need attending to, and I feel, aren't important enough to spend time on. Unless I'm being paid real cash money, motivation is the currency in which you pay me in.
No one's here to get paid. We're all here to help each other to make something greater and have fun with the community. I understand motivations. I understand inspirations. God, do I understand. But if you want people to understand and go "oh, okay!" you need to communicate this with them instead of just blowing them off. I'd be far more likely to ask you if you wanted to do something and see if it was something you were interested in and be less offended that you said "no" because I would've understood that you just weren't up for the task and simply leaving it at that.

Also life advice. If someone is going up to you and telling you that I'm talking shit about dionaea lore and the state of it, then maybe you need to consider that perhaps the people who are bringing it to your attention are doing so maliciously especially when the screenshot you posted was taken out of context and does not mean what you think it means.
The thing is that I haven't seen any proof of otherwise, I've experienced some of it in person and have read the things following some statements, nor have you shown you want to elaborate on that screenshot either. Which is fine, that isn't entirely what this is about. Like I've said, this is more about the teamwork aspect. And from the above, you've more or less cleared up the hows and whys, and I'm decently satisfied at the answer so I retract my -1 to a more neutral stand.

I can understand the whole motivation/inspiration thing you got going on. But it seems to me you're more than willing to literally drop everything for your own personal projects and work on them the moment you notice something that immediately affected/inconveniences you, such as the parapen fiasco. I get it, the parapen made your experience into something negative and you saw an issue it. You're a volunteer who's unpaid who has difficulty finding the willpower to do things they just aren't interested in. But what about the other projects? What if you were entrusted with something and you dropped it immediately for something that mildly inconvenienced you once in-game? Loredevs and others will come to you for help. As a member of staff, you are no longer working for yourself. You are working with other staff for the community.
~ N E I N B O X ~

Characters
Spoiler:

Art
Spoiler:

Note:
I did apologise in the Parapen thread as I have misunderstood a previous posts from Burger. That was on my part. Re-reading it, it mostly seems like a pointless change now.

However I still believe there is a lot of agenda pushing behind every 4th to 6th PR made. Mainly the PR's that were so stupid in essence they were shut down immediatly and no drama was stirred around them.
Namely:
Make AI's a % spawn, after playing borg extensively and constantly complaining that AI's don't know what they're doing.
Removing Wizard apprentice contracts after meeting a peacewizard who made apprentices in a round.
Multiple attempts to whitelist antags after each "bad round" even though everyone else might have enjoyed it.
Observing a ninja roundstart, assuming everyone in the round is bored and making thread after thread to remove/turn it into whitelisted antag.

BUT as stated by Skull on the previously made Ban Request thread

It doesn't matter WHY you code, just that you code. So really these gripes are pointless to hold.
...the Hangman corrected me; "First the alien, then the Jew... I did no more than you let me do."
- "The Hangman", by Maurice Ogden.

Return to “Developer Applications Archives”