Kalren Halstere's Uniform Application

BYOND Key: Brutishcrab51.

Character name: Kalren Halstere.

Item name(s): Solarian Marine Dress Uniform, Solarian Marine Dress Cap.

Why is your character carrying said item to work?

Well. Halstere's a proud veteran of the Solarian Marines, the basis of this even originated in my whitelist application. Generally speaking, this would see use during times as a Visitor, and otherwise be stored in his locker.

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP?

It'd give a more physical example of Halstere's backstory with the Solarian Military, and encourage more open dialogue regarding the use of the uniform, and his story overall. Alongside this, many people are a bit abrasive towards the Solarian Government, and it might serve to cause some developing interactions with Halstere, with more 'touchy' members of the crew.

Additional comments: I was encouraged to put this application up by TheDocOct, and, I believe, the item is already in the code and can be used on the server. It's not in loadouts, I've seen, though. I feel it wouldn't be that much of an issue to make use of.

Finding it hard to justify why Halstere would wear it. In fact, it's extremely disrespectful towards the service since it is also technically illegal, reason why I assume it is illegal is due to this being a law in our current times in a plethora of nations, though while not enforced in mass, it is still enforced in selective cases.

Spent a few minutes looking it up and found a clause which I believe is the correct one to attribute Kalren too.

Sec. 772. When wearing by persons not on active duty authorized

(d) A person who is discharged honorably or under honorable conditions from the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps may wear his uniform while going from the place of discharge to his home, within three months after his discharge.

There's also the fact you are wearing a service uniform that in the same year held a military occupation of the system. Sanctioned or not, Biesel relations with Sol are still rocky, even hostile to a certain extent. This is a whole new issue altogether as well, especially with the current arc pertaining to Sol servicemen living in Biesel. [mention]Senpai Jackboot[/mention] can explain further.

Addendum: You may note why certain character(s) of mine may act cold or dismissive towards Halstere based on my reply.

Not sure what regulations would be applicable here - I can only assume a realistic example would be the current US Marine Corps dress-document for retirees or veterans (Retirees being individuals who served 20+ years, Veterans being individuals who served, though not for twenty years).

This would be an example of a protocol allowing Halstere to wear his uniform, MCO-P1020.34G, which labels strictly when and where the uniform, strictly the service dress uniform, is not allowed to be worn.

(1) At any meeting or demonstration which is a function of, or sponsored by an organization, association, movement, group, or combination of persons which the Attorney General of the United States has designated, pursuant to E.O. 10450, as amended as totalitarian, fascist, communist, or subversive, or as having adopted a policy of advocating or approving the commission of acts of force or violence to deny others their right under The Constitution of the United States, or as seeking to alter the form of Government of the United States by unconstitutional means.

(2) During or in connection with the furtherance of political activities, private employment or commercial interests, when an inference of official sponsorship for the activity or interest could be drawn.

(3) Except when authorized by competent Service authority, when participating in activities such as public speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches, rallies or any public demonstration (including those pertaining to civil rights), which may imply Service sanction of the cause for which the demonstration or activity is conducted.

(4) When wearing of the uniform would tend to bring discredit upon the Armed Forces.

(5) When specifically prohibited by Marine Corps regulations.

What would be the primary concern is, section two. However, a 'Visitor' would not qualify as taking part in private employment, the opposite would be true if he wore the uniform while actively working, such as in the role of Head of Security, as he normally does. Halstere was proud of his service, and sees wearing the uniform, while presenting a 'good' side, helps in breaking the stereotype present with the Sol Military in Biesel. NanoTrasen employs a great deal of veterans onboard the Aurora as well.

Coldness or outright hostility to the character is great! It's good, actually. A good step away from the constant positive relations Halstere maintains with people. It gives a new branch-off for RP regarding him, and I feel, would be enjoyable. And it'd even be brought on by something so simple as a uniform, which I'd enjoy. It wouldn't change him in any regard, it'd just help bring to the surface his background as a Solarian.

He is still an off duty Head of Security. It makes no sense that he would be parading around wearing a military uniform representing a faction holding dubious-to-hostile relations with Nanotrasen. This goes beyond inciting personal hostility from coworkers, to standing against Nanotrasen itself. Servicemembers in real life do not take their uniforms to work and run around dressed in them in their private sector jobs, so why would this be a thing? Regardless of Visitors not being paid, he is there, in his place of work, as an off duty high ranking official, and you want him to be wearing the uniform of a faction that Nanotrasen is anywhere from wary to outright hostile with. There is no reason any rational Head of Security would pull something like this, nor would any veteran of such experience think it's a good idea to anyway no matter how proud he is of his service. No one I have ever known with a military affiliation has ever thought "hey, I'm so proud of my service, I'm going to wear my military uniform to work". This is just a custom item for the sake of having a custom item.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Tajara often run around in things like military coats and jackets - they're memorabilia but they're not literally military uniforms. Sol fatigues and Sol military dress were worn by Aurora characters during the 2nd Antag Contest - by occupying forces. Wearing Alliance naval fatigues would be extremely offensive, especially to anyone who had to deal with Sol Officers during the contest. You'd be telling all the native Ceti characters that Kalren thinks they're lame ass natives and Biesel independence was a mistake.

As well, it's pretty much illegal or heavily frowned on to wear your military uniform to random places.

I think the cap would be fine since it's just a hat. A good conversation piece.

The regulations you cited are for active duty personnel I believe, I cited the only example when a discharged servicemen is allowed to with your characters history.

I cited that regulation from the same page, actually, that you got yours from (At least, what you posted was on the same page). And, it wouldn't seem so, given the mention of use of the uniform in foreign countries, and in private work.

I'm fine with the cap, if not the uniform itself. Though as a notice, retired veterans are allowed to use the uniform 'at their pleasure', though that's quite a subjective term and can still be regulated. Regular veterans can generally use the uniform during time of travel, and during occasions of 'importance', ceremonies, national holidays, weddings, funerals, such and such. Occasions of 'importance' is a bit wide and not really specific, hence, it gives veterans leeway in when and why or how they use their uniforms, which is why veterans generally just choose to wear their uniform when they choose, because they see those occasions as 'events of importance'.

Plus, Halstere does think Biesel independence was a mistake! He's an open and blatant ATLAS supporter, who makes his belief known when asked, and on the Relay. He believes that Biesel is a puppet state, that the 33rd was in the right to try to bring it back into the fold, and that NanoTrasen is pulling the strings at large for it on a political scale. Now, that doesn't come into play when he's under the effects of a loyalty implant, but it's still a personal belief. Besides, it's actually against regulations to mix military attire with civilian attire. Hence, no grey cap with a dress shirt, no dress cap with a normal suit. This is often ignored at times in regards to retired veterans, though.

Edited by Guest

At the risk of deviating from the subject of a custom item application, why is a subversive element a Head of Security

For much the same reason a Captain is the head of the Biesel Storm Division.

Loyalty implants neutralize the threat of subversiveness, given they're artificial implants that pump you full of concern for NanoTrasen, and putting the best thought forward for it. Halstere would hardly be the first ATLAS-supporter as an HoS, Klaus Eliade was another one, so was Sean Richter.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I've discussed it with the player. I'm able to support the application if Kalren ONLY wears the uniform when a visitor. If he is in literally any other job role the uniform can't be worn. I have no specific objections.