Re-add radio muffling when someone is either weakened or handcuffed.

Scheveningen

This used to be an old feature that was long forgotten before we did the switch to baycode. It was shortlived as the organ printer and didn't see a lot of attention.

What I'm suggesting is that you can't reach your radio when you're in paincrit on the ground or if you're handcuffed. It doesn't automatically activate. Ergo, in cases where you cannot fathomably activate your headset like that, you shouldn't be able to yelp into comms in the event you get floored due to weakening or by being restrained.

What this does, both with positive and negative consequences:

1.) Gives antagonists an added edge of being able to stun someone with one measure or another without too much risk of the person being targeted yelping into their headset like a whinybaby player rather than an actual character that would avoid being killed faster because they ratted out the guy attacking them. This specifically allows certain drugs to be used effectively to sedate targets, unlike now in which people can yell to everyone who's killing them at X, Y, Z coordinates!

2.) Inadvertently gives security much of the same edge.

3.) Changes up the meta a bit for people to communicate in different manners before they give chase to a confirmed antag lest they get stun-cheesed and dragged off into maintenance, allowing for more tense rounds in which people stop mysteriously responding.

4.) Will probably end up in people keying up ;HELP! as a macro whenever they have a spidey sense of an antag about to sneeze in their general direction.

This was an old bit of code so I don't recall exactly how Scopes did it from years back to make this feature work, but it was pretty robust.

Actually, yes please. As an antag I find that I am very stressed and don’t exactly have the time to excessively RP because people will just “Help Sec Maint Bob Jones flashed me!!!” If you give them even a second of air.

With something like this I can feel more confident in RP’ing as an antag or ling and such, and it goes both ways. Encourages generally more communication between players and I approve.

I am on the fence about this, so I would like to see a trial run. It seems realistic, but what if you fall on the asteroid, and can't call for help? Are lasered into crit, and then left to die with absolutely nothing you can do? It is easy to silence someone once they are stunned with simply a grab targeting mouth, do we want to make it easier?

I am on the fence about this, so I would like to see a trial run. It seems realistic, but what if you fall on the asteroid, and can't call for help? Are lasered into crit, and then left to die with absolutely nothing you can do? It is easy to silence someone once they are stunned with simply a grab targeting mouth, do we want to make it easier?

You should have your suit sensors on. Getting lasered to crit is fair game, why should you be able to "help@me"?

I'm all for this for the reason delts has ready said.

This literally makes so much sense, seeing headsets needs to be tapped or pushed for activation.

Perhaps this could be pushed back in as a trial run, see how people respond to it.

All for this suggestion.

You can rotate your head, you know. You can rotate it, and push your ear against your shoulder.

In fact, that's how you work a hands-free radio at a construction site, I've been told.

This literally makes so much sense, seeing headsets needs to be tapped or pushed for activation.

Perhaps this could be pushed back in as a trial run, see how people respond to it.

All for this suggestion.

You can rotate your head, you know. You can rotate it, and push your ear against your shoulder.

In fact, that's how you work a hands-free radio at a construction site, I've been told.

That may be so, but if you have a multidepartmental headset, this'll be a little more problematic.

Besides, being weakened would imply that you couldnt reliably work your head in a way to activate your headset.

There's a lot of pros and cons to this tbh. Getting antagged vs being downed due to carp or falling into holes.

I'm against completely disabling it.

Handcuffs already give you an unrealistic advantage of completely pacifying someone who could otherwise kick you in the dick.

I understand where you're coming from and I agree shouting instantly for help is shitty, but I don't think this is the best way to add it, currently it has too many "what if" scenarios and promotes lazy antagging.

I suggest, in cases where you would not be able to use your radio here, it would instead give a text of you trying to use it and a 1-2 second randomized time to complete the task.

This will have more than one uses:

A: If you are weakened down from a fight it's still possible to call for help if you're not interrupted

B: You can use your radio when arrested by security

C: Antags can react in time and cover their mouth and strip their headset, at the expense of dropping whatever they were doing and delaying it a bit.

This will balance it out, no longer can you rat someone out as easily, but it also doesn't give antags a safe space to carry on their silent murders with even more ease then they already can.

• 1 month later...

I am willingly to support this suggestion. It is already proven difficult for the antagonists to attack a victim. There are cases where victim upon being attacked would just suddenly call out for Security, then providing the location and name and thus either completely destroying everything that the antagonist had severely fought to stand for and or not.

A hypothesis inspired scenario by HIDEO KOJIMA

This is what we have right now and is extremely common.

Snake McAntagonist says, "Hello, sweetheart. Kindly follow me into this dark and creepy maintenance. I got something to show you."
CP McVictim says, "Sure. Why not."
Snake McAntagonist fires revolver!
CP McVictim was hit by the bullet! 
!!!
CP McVictim shouts, "; SECURITY! HELP! SNAKE MCANTAGONIST IS ATTACKING ME IN BAR MAINT!"
[145.9] HQ McSecurity says, "Got it! All units, search for Snake McAntagonist and valid this fucker!"
Snake McAntagonist hides in a cardboard box for the rest of the shift. 

What we want to hope for.

Snake McAntagonist says, "Hello, sweetheart. Kindly follow me into this dark and creepy maintenance. I got something to show you."
!!!
CP McVictim shouts, "; SECURITY! HEL-AGH!"
[145.9] HQ McSecurity says, "This is HQ. CP, respond!"
[security Channel] HQ McSecurity says, "All units, enter alert status!"
Snake McAntagonist hides in a cardboard box and wanders around. 

!!!

How would you propose to implement that? Force the game to replace everything after 10 characters with '-arrgh!' when someone is injured? How would you sanity check that? What stops them from trying again a second later with the 'repeat previous message' command? Having someone spam "HELP SEC MAINT-augh!" 4-5 times before you take off their headset would be really silly and dumb.

I guess you could implement a 5 or so second 'can't use your radio' period might work when you take above a certain threshold of damage (15?) in a short period of time

!!!

Love this suggestion, and this metal gear reference just as much.

!!!

How would you propose to implement that? Force the game to replace everything after 10 characters with '-arrgh!' when someone is injured?

I cannot answer these questions because I lack programming knowledge in BYOND. These were merely my spit-balling idea & example to support [mention]Scheveningen[/mention]'s idea. It does not have to have "-Arrrgh!" or "-Auuugh!", it was my merely point of view of how that can make the roleplay story interesting and suspenseful.

Minor issue: unless [mention]Skull132[/mention] ever wishes to implement his diabolical pipedream of enforcing all say functions through the command bar, I don't believe there's a proper way to implement a system where it automatically cuts off messages and detects damage being done and replaces it with a suffix "OOF". I believe it's been covered before as a limitation of the say function when opened in a window.

It isn't a bad idea, though.

• Gem locked this topic