• One Suggestion per Thread
  • Make sure your suggestion has not been suggested before. (Search the Suggestions Sub-Forum)
  • Please don't title the thread in all capitals.
  • Don't respond to idea's with gif's, +1/-1 provide reasons on why you like an idea or not.
  • Do not derail the thread
  • Read the whole thread before you post in it. (Yes, that means all of it)
  • The usual forum rules still apply here.
  • Developers will delete all posts that violate any of these rules are are not contributing to the discussion in a suggestion.
  • The reasoning behind a suggestion should be elaborated upon in the initial post to a reasonable extent.

Re-add radio muffling when someone is either weakened or handcuffed.

This used to be an old feature that was long forgotten before we did the switch to baycode. It was shortlived as the organ printer and didn't see a lot of attention.

What I'm suggesting is that you can't reach your radio when you're in paincrit on the ground or if you're handcuffed. It doesn't automatically activate. Ergo, in cases where you cannot fathomably activate your headset like that, you shouldn't be able to yelp into comms in the event you get floored due to weakening or by being restrained.

What this does, both with positive and negative consequences:

1.) Gives antagonists an added edge of being able to stun someone with one measure or another without too much risk of the person being targeted yelping into their headset like a whinybaby player rather than an actual character that would avoid being killed faster because they ratted out the guy attacking them. This specifically allows certain drugs to be used effectively to sedate targets, unlike now in which people can yell to everyone who's killing them at X, Y, Z coordinates!
2.) Inadvertently gives security much of the same edge.
3.) Changes up the meta a bit for people to communicate in different manners before they give chase to a confirmed antag lest they get stun-cheesed and dragged off into maintenance, allowing for more tense rounds in which people stop mysteriously responding.
4.) Will probably end up in people keying up ;HELP! as a macro whenever they have a spidey sense of an antag about to sneeze in their general direction.

This was an old bit of code so I don't recall exactly how Scopes did it from years back to make this feature work, but it was pretty robust.
Direct action is not always the best way. It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever.
If you are to truly understand anything in life, then you will need the contrast, not total adherence to a single idea.

Though often, extremes are necessary to force or fight change.

Re: Re-add radio muffling when someone is either weakened or handcuffed.

Actually, yes please. As an antag I find that I am very stressed and don’t exactly have the time to excessively RP because people will just “Help Sec Maint Bob Jones flashed me!!!” If you give them even a second of air.

With something like this I can feel more confident in RP’ing as an antag or ling and such, and it goes both ways. Encourages generally more communication between players and I approve.

I am on the fence about this, so I would like to see a trial run. It seems realistic, but what if you fall on the asteroid, and can't call for help? Are lasered into crit, and then left to die with absolutely nothing you can do? It is easy to silence someone once they are stunned with simply a grab targeting mouth, do we want to make it easier?
“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

Superiorform wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:55 pm
I am on the fence about this, so I would like to see a trial run. It seems realistic, but what if you fall on the asteroid, and can't call for help? Are lasered into crit, and then left to die with absolutely nothing you can do? It is easy to silence someone once they are stunned with simply a grab targeting mouth, do we want to make it easier?
You should have your suit sensors on. Getting lasered to crit is fair game, why should you be able to "help@me"?

I'm all for this for the reason delts has ready said.

Pratepresidenten wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am
This literally makes so much sense, seeing headsets needs to be tapped or pushed for activation.
Perhaps this could be pushed back in as a trial run, see how people respond to it.

All for this suggestion.
You can rotate your head, you know. You can rotate it, and push your ear against your shoulder.

In fact, that's how you work a hands-free radio at a construction site, I've been told.

chaoko99 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:43 am
Pratepresidenten wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am
This literally makes so much sense, seeing headsets needs to be tapped or pushed for activation.
Perhaps this could be pushed back in as a trial run, see how people respond to it.

All for this suggestion.
You can rotate your head, you know. You can rotate it, and push your ear against your shoulder.

In fact, that's how you work a hands-free radio at a construction site, I've been told.
That may be so, but if you have a multidepartmental headset, this'll be a little more problematic.
Besides, being weakened would imply that you couldnt reliably work your head in a way to activate your headset.

There's a lot of pros and cons to this tbh. Getting antagged vs being downed due to carp or falling into holes.

Return to “Suggestions & Ideas”