Overall Server Complaint

Prospekt

So, to begin with, I'm sure this'll either be deleted (swept under the rug) or be disregarded because of the person posting this. But, I'm posting this with complete consideration of not only my own views but other's as well which I won't name for their sake.

The overall server has been great in player count of course, it's pretty much always been. But, lately the staff have been taking their position way to serious to the point where they jump on you over the pettiest things. Things like handcuffing someone who took someone hostage as an HoP. Other instances include many situations of mine where I've tried to be as genuine as I could because if I said anything that was the opposite to what the staff member thought they would outright ban me. My main complaint is that staff seem to want big praise when they bwoink you. If you don't immediately apologize, kiss their feet, give them a little handy, you're fucked. If you talk back or go against when they are telling you, you'll end up with worse consequences than if you said you were wrong and apologize (even in circumstances where you weren't).

Let's go back to when Aurora was first getting popular, we had the old forums, etc. Before the rebase, IIRC. Before bluesec, etc. Back when staff were actually mellow and allowed the fluidity of roleplay to go way smoother and just let things happen because they understood human nature and understood that people didn't have to act like a robot following a law set (the rules). There were hiccups but still, staff back then were way more bearable and didn't jump at literally everything. It was more understanding that it was a game, people were here to roleplay, and most importantly have fun. Now, it's treated like you're being paid 9 to 5 (you're fired if you fuck up not demoted lmao).

All I'm trying to get at with this criticism is hopefully staff can read this and understand that while they take their job seriously, they shouldn't being bwoinking people over every little thing. Let people breath, if they genuinely go on a murder spree or something serious then bwoink the hell out of them. But situations like bwoinking an HoP over cuffing a hostage taker, that's retarded. Anyways, I hope this isn't disregarded for my own personal record. I've fucked up in a lot of situations, I'm not perfect, but there's been some questionable situations that not only I have been through. I'm writing this for the actual players, non-staff. Let people play and roleplay, you guys wave a flag that you don't mess with IC shit yet you do, I understand if they break a rule which messes with IC shit, but some of it can be handled IC.

You've got some contradictions going on here...

All I'm trying to get at with this criticism is hopefully staff can read this and understand that while they take their job seriously, they shouldn't being bwoinking people over every little thing.

I'm writing this for the actual players, non-staff.

So which is it?

Other instances include many situations of mine where I've tried to be as genuine as I could because if I said anything that was the opposite to what the staff member thought they would outright ban me.

I don't think you understand the definition of "being genuine."

Look. You have posted multiple ban appeals (at least three unban requests and a staff complaint since Nov. 1st) with active hostility toward the admins and the rules set here. I'm going to be genuine here and say what this looks like to me: this looks like a guy who got locked out of the dance and is retaliating by trying to set fire to the ballroom.

If you don't think I am being fair to you, perhaps you should have thought of that before posting such unban requests as this one,

affectionately called unban me from discord fuckers:https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9441

real shit, delta was a faggot and banned me for saying 'hurt my feeler' words to him in defense to some guy i cant remember

im not formatting this because its 2:30 am and i cba

in all reality, delta is 'fired' (lmao this shit is as corporate as it is ic)

Your credibility is in the toilet. Just find another server.

Let me actually address the argument itself instead of how it was worded or the person who posted it.

In short, yes.

As you've said this server has a large playerbase now, a very large playerbase, in fact we have such a large playerbase that we've already passed Paradise multiple times on the hub and the increase seems to not be stopping.

That's why we have to be more strict, that's why we can't let people get away with the small things, that's why it seems we're taking our volunteer work more seriously, because we are.

Times change dude, this community has over 250 people on discord and while this is nowhere near accurate to how many people play we often have over 70 people on livehour and 30 people on deadhour! Deadhour used to be like 15 people and 1 staff!

Before we could count on people they would behave, before staff could play favorites, before staff could afford giving out leeway because they knew most of those people atleast as an aquintance and the few rare baldies that acted like idiots were swiftly booted.

Now you're the minority and they're the majority, that's why we need to measure everyone with an equal ruler.

tl;dr

00110a7246.gif

I said this wasn't about what I've done in the past, but people still brought it up anyways. Whatever.

You've appeared to do everything possible to cause as much grief to Aurora admins as possible. After being banned from Discord you PM'd an admin and shittalked. You posted unban appeals that demonstrated that you have zero respect for the rules of this server (or the appeals process, for that matter).

Nothing happens in a vacuum. You haven't taken responsibility for being a dick.

The first step to being taken seriously is to act maturely.

You failed in that. You got banned from discord and the server.

This server will not stoop to your level of maturity.

This is a HRP server. There are standards and rules. Break them and you get a conversation with an admin. Demonstrate a disrespect for our rules and you get banned. Got too salty in a round? Appeal the ban and demonstrate that you understand what you did wrong and will try harder.

That's simply how this server works. You cannot simply get banned and reply "Y SO SERIOUS??"

Just find another server. Work on understanding that servers are communities and we're all just trying to have fun. If someone comes in the door and causes problems with everyone else's fun, they are going to be kicked out of the server. When the time comes that you realize that, write a new appeal and demonstrate that you won't cause problems if you are let back in.

It is a sad thing to see someone get banned. If they were unbanned, I think they wouldn't make another problem. Simply saying "lol ur bad find another server" won't do anything. Have empathy

This is my opinion on the matter. I've seen some players who make an effort to try not to intentionally create a problem, I'm a neutral party as I find myself in a state of contradictory conflict. Sometimes, I tell myself that moderation should be a little strict while I tell myself that moderation team should be a little flexible. I know not where I stand.

I can see a strong aggressive coming from you over a small deal, [mention]alexpkeaton[/mention]. Are you having a bad day, biased against [mention]Prospekt[/mention]'s opinion, or something to cause a spark?

4vkxd.jpg

It is a sad thing to see someone get banned. If they were unbanned, I think they wouldn't make another problem. Simply saying "lol ur bad find another server" won't do anything. Have empathy

This is my opinion on the matter. I've seen some players who make an effort to try not to intentionally create a problem, I'm a neutral party as I find myself in a state of contradictory conflict. Sometimes, I tell myself that moderation should be a little strict while I tell myself that moderation team should be a little flexible. I know not where I stand.

I can see a strong aggressive coming from you over a small deal, @alexpkeaton. Are you having a bad day, biased against @Prospekt's opinion, or something to cause a spark?

4vkxd.jpg

Perhaps you are not a frequent reader of the unban requests. This guy is a troll. Perhaps I shouldn't have fed the troll.

The thing about the "Aggression" towards Prospekt is. It's oddly warranted. Literally everything Alex said is correct, it would be an outright and clear lie to say it isn't. And this is wherein lies the issue with this thread: trying to crowbar Prospekt's own shortcomings out of his opinion, and evaluating the latter based on its merits. The problem is that Prospekt has constantly popped up with the same exact complaints that he raises in this thread, while partaking in activity which is hostile towards staff, clearly not allowed by server rules, and has never been allowed. For reference: literally all of his unban threads, "y so srs" threads, and his conduct over Discord. None of that has ever been allowed, and consistency in staff actions this is clearly denoted by his notes and warnings as well, which date back to 2015 and echo the same issues that are present with his conduct now. Clearly he got in trouble for his conduct in 2015, so I fail to see any merit to the point of, "You're all suddenly so serious; it used to be more lax in the past."

With Prospekt addressed, let's swing around to the issue without involving him. None of what you said is new or too enlightening. Standards sway: they move from too soft to too rough, this is normal. Has always been the case, if you care to remind yourself of the time when FFrances was Head Admin and nit picking of standards was through the roof. This was then followed by the relaxing of said standards. It's basically a sine wave. Right now, we're probably on the rising edge of it, considering the immense influx of people has forced staff to batten down some hatches. You can read more about it here. Towards the end of the summer, a lot of communique was received by staff, from the playerbase, about the fact that the gameplay felt more disjointed and less RP-like than it has been for a while, so the staff have been responding. That's really all there is to it.

Also, I would enjoy actual proof (and legitimate staff complaints for that matter!) regarding some of the allegations you raise. "Kissing our feet" is something that usually ends badly, literally just follow the rules or run with your warnings. None of the staff here do this for whatever personal gratification goal you twist up. The proof existing in the fact that if what you said were actually true, we would not be here. There have been plenty of instances where staff have gone over the line and the community has clearly and loudly told us to fall back in line. Notice how this isn't one of those cases.

I can see a strong aggressive coming from you over a small deal, alexpkeaton. Are you having a bad day, biased against Prospekt's opinion, or something to cause a spark?

4vkxd.jpg

Gaslighting much? Not much else you add to discussions anyway UM.

This thread was funny to read, anyway. I like when people rant on about the insecurities of the server while having much more glaring ones particular to their own character that make them much worse than the picture they're trying to paint of the community. See you next week with your ban appeal, Prospekt, you know you can't resist coming back. For whatever reason I'm glad to live in your head rent-free, in addition to UM's. Inevitably it's your mind so I'm still not responsible for anything you say and do. Funny how that works, that me focusing on my actual real life still got your no-lifer ass permabanned from the server. See how blaming everyone but yourself for your own issues works out for you, good luck, man.

I'd just like to pop in and say, I think a lot of people are just jabbing needlessly at others here, instead of discussing and trying to solve things. Before you post, think about what you are saying accomplishes.

As for the OP... we have rules. If you break them, you got a talking to. Your post, Prospekt, seems to amount to "let people break minor rules", and that just can't happen.

I said this wasn't about what I've done in the past, but people still brought it up anyways. Whatever.

Your past defines you. It is these experiences that make you the person you are. You've insisted so many times that you are not this person that this very thread paints you as and yet you've made no change to your conduct. All of your characters are shimmering reflections of yourself. You define yourself. Nobody else does, but you cannot lie to everyone else and yourself by insisting you're not toxic. You are toxic. Very, very toxic. Embrace the truth for once and give an actual effort at improving as a person and a player and maybe you can come back. Seeing your track record I'm holding my doubts firmly like cards at a poker table, but improvement is always possible.

You'll probably find a way to fuck it up on purpose though, knowing how you love to be the angry contrarian spreading their hate around.

I agree with Prospekt that things are a bit stricter now. I think Coalf has the right diagnosis for the reasons too. I used to know all the regulars at least on an acquaintance level. Now I don't even know all the staff on an introduction level. Even the staff team seems huge compared to what it used to be, but maybe that's bad memory on my part. Whether it's for better or worse, the whole moderation experience has been made impersonal by the sheer number of actors available at a given time that are either breaking the rules and being ahelped on or casually ahelping everything not going their way.

While I wouldn't necessarily agree with opening a dialogue by calling it a complaint, I do think it's a phenomena that deserves some talking about. It is the rise and fall of servers afterall. Is Aurora currently in its golden age, it's peak, where the majority of people who will remember us will experience it? Or is there still more rise in playerbase to be had? Has the number of players affected the quality of roleplay? How has the difficulty of moderation shifted since the sudden rise in playerbase?

The food for thought I would like to add is how a not-so-recent change in policy may have been an early indicator in shifting attitudes for server management. Namely, the removal of hidden weekends. This former bulwark against greytide made Aurora an exclusive in-club of course. While it was a low barrier of entry, it was ultimately an isolationist policy from the greater SS13 community. At least seemingly, in the twilight days of when cliques ruled the land, there was a tendency to exclude and distrust new players. Now, the community has become extremely welcoming to new faces with doors wide open. I think the change in attitude along with the seemingly small change in policy has contributed greatly to create and shape the era we're in, possibly at an expense to roleplay quality and freedom (I said behind rose tinted glasses of pink haired princes from planets in bluespace and ape-people genetic experiments who self-antagged daily.)

Funnily enough.

Namely, the removal of hidden weekends. This former bulwark against greytide made Aurora an exclusive in-club of course. While it was a low barrier of entry, it was ultimately an isolationist policy from the greater SS13 community.

This was never removed, just somehow forgotten? We've recently been instating it when our player population would hit 40 or above.

I can see a strong aggressive coming from you over a small deal, alexpkeaton. Are you having a bad day, biased against Prospekt's opinion, or something to cause a spark?

4vkxd.jpg

Gaslighting much? Not much else you add to discussions anyway UM.

This thread was funny to read, anyway. I like when people rant on about the insecurities of the server while having much more glaring ones particular to their own character that make them much worse than the picture they're trying to paint of the community. See you next week with your ban appeal, Prospekt, you know you can't resist coming back. For whatever reason I'm glad to live in your head rent-free, in addition to UM's. Inevitably it's your mind so I'm still not responsible for anything you say and do. Funny how that works, that me focusing on my actual real life still got your no-lifer ass permabanned from the server. See how blaming everyone but yourself for your own issues works out for you, good luck, man.

You actually have problems if you think you're in my head, lmao.

I'm not going to say in text how I've changed, you can say what you want about me. You have big problems of your own buddy, more than you can chew.

Sure, I've fucked up, I've learned from it, I'm back in the community. I honestly forget making this thread because it was late for me (I think). I was probably fucked up when I made it lmao. But, sure I'll take my no lifer ass back onto the server! I hope you really put the fact that you permabanned me from discord onto your lil trophy shelf you fat gremlin. You must've hit the wall hard when your parents threw you as an infant.

e; I just read majority of the thread, and yes I've taken the piss out of certain shit when I've gotten in trouble and broken the rules. But, I don't think any of the shit I've done is warranted for "go find another server u troll". I'm not even a troll, hahahaha. Immaturity or not, people fuck up, or don't take certain things serious. I've done that, I've looked at my experiences, and I've moved on from them. What most of the shit that's said about me is true (except what Delta has said holy shit that had me rolling). But, I've stopped fucking around and I'm just trying to play the server seriously.

e; I just read majority of the thread, and yes I've taken the piss out of certain shit when I've gotten in trouble and broken the rules. But, I don't think any of the shit I've done is warranted for "go find another server u troll".

How about your completely shit attitude, you ever think maybe for once it isn't everyone's fault but your own for how you talk to other people?

You've totally zero room to tell the entire community what they need to improve upon when you suffer from the same issues yourself. You just come off like Diogenes, I'm sure he had interesting things to say but he still stank up the place and lived in a barrel. Also notable, his method of criticism of other social concepts boiled down to holding up a plucked chicken and proclaiming, "behold, a man!" to make fun of Plato for comparing people to featherless bipeds. While funny, it was still coming from the guy who lived in a barrel and screamed at people on the street as a living. Just something to consider, you're not really someone in the luxurious position to be telling people what they should be doing when you're barely an authority on such things in the present. Not judging you on what your past was, because honestly you haven't showed any meaningful improvement to say anything about yourself is "just in the past."

Get shafted, mate. You felt plenty enough mad to make the OP to lecture staff on "taking their job too seriously" for giving you the righteous boot. If you didn't care you wouldn't have even posted this.

e; I just read majority of the thread, and yes I've taken the piss out of certain shit when I've gotten in trouble and broken the rules. But, I don't think any of the shit I've done is warranted for "go find another server u troll".

How about your completely shit attitude, you ever think maybe for once it isn't everyone's fault but your own for how you talk to other people?

You've totally zero room to tell the entire community what they need to improve upon when you suffer from the same issues yourself. You just come off like Diogenes, I'm sure he had interesting things to say but he still stank up the place and lived in a barrel. Also notable, his method of criticism of other social concepts boiled down to holding up a plucked chicken and proclaiming, "behold, a man!" to make fun of Plato for comparing people to featherless bipeds. While funny, it was still coming from the guy who lived in a barrel and screamed at people on the street as a living. Just something to consider, you're not really someone in the luxurious position to be telling people what they should be doing when you're barely an authority on such things in the present. Not judging you on what your past was, because honestly you haven't showed any meaningful improvement to say anything about yourself is "just in the past."

Get shafted, mate. You felt plenty enough mad to make the OP to lecture staff on "taking their job too seriously" for giving you the righteous boot. If you didn't care you wouldn't have even posted this.

You should be the last person calling people out on their attitude. I mean look at your responses.

Both of you need to chill out ASAP. There's a discussion going on where several people are pointing out "If you break rules, then you get talked to", and our #1 rule (both in the server and forums) is don't be a dick. Doesn't matter to me who started it, but cool your jets. If you can't have a peaceful discussion, then don't talk at all.

ok so like, i've been on aurora since basically the day it split from apollo, and I have to say you are misremembering your history. I'm not nearly as active as I used to be due to 60 hour work week and all that jazz, but I remember a time where I was attacked in maint and a mod instantly downed both of us and banned the guy. At least now mods will wait until after everything plays out to lay down their judgement and get involved. I think this server has come a long way and is in a very good place with regards to administration and development

and in the end, its just a game, and its not even one you have to pay for so like... no reason to get worked up over anything