[Denied] Server Moderator Application - DasFox

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: DasFox

Character Name(s): https://gyazo.com/075d880f26be3f725f272d56e9e9c0e8 (Gyazo of it)

AI Name(s): Sabbon

Preferred means of contact: Discord/Phone

Timezone: EST

When are you on Aurora?: Usually afternoons, occasionally I'm on at deadhour just messing around.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: 6 years, give or take a few months here and there.

How long have you played on Aurora: Over a month now, and I played it a bit a *while* back.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I know most if not all of medical, as well as I'm decently OK at combat. However engineering and science mostly escape me.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: SS13 servers no, however I have managerial experience IRL, as well as experience moderating communities over discord, some larger than others.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?:Yes, Permenantly on Bay for disrespecting a trial moderator when I was severely upset, based on a captain, who was not antag, randomly killing me and getting away with it. It was appealed, since the Headmin didn't like me in the first place.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I enjoy the game, and I really love ot RP.

Why do you play on Aurora?: Aurora's a HRP server, which makes me enjoy it even more than when I enjoyed Bay, as it was pretty bland.

What do moderators do?: Moderators are the OOC administration, dealing with Ahelps and trying to resolve problems that the players ask about.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: To be respectful to the playerbase, assist them, and above all to listen to their complaints.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I have a want to help the server, and I can do that by being around (sometimes) when staff usually aren't around. I also like to help people, so it seems like a good fit. :)

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?:When I think of something like work, I tend to easily respond to things. Not to mention I have 16 years management IRL with my current hospital as I run the shift changes, manage a community for a youtuber, and have a lot of experience moderating on other MP indie-games/servers.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:When I'm trying to relax I can fly off the handle a little too easily, starting to get aggressive. I'm a slightly hostile person, and I understand that's a put-off most of the time, however as I stated, when I work I tend to do a lot better with it, as I keep a calmer state of mind.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

I understand if the admin team who decides this can't support my being a moderator, however I think given the chance I could do well. Or I'll fail and go down in flames. Still. :) ((If you need more information, let me know.))

DasFox is pretty good. I've gotten to play with their characters more lately instead of never interacting with them, and I think they're better than expected. Their RP has been getting better and so has their general play, which is always a good thing to see. With the experience they're currently getting as a head of staff they're improving a lot, and I don't see an issue giving this application a +1. Good luck. Blue merc best merc

The only time I've ever interacted with DasFox that I know of was very sour, as in a situation ICly went south and ended in him dying and he attacked me OOC for it. This was a few weeks ago now, I believe, but he owned up to the situation and I've heard good things about him all around from the rest of the community. His OOC behavior is something to take in consideration, but otherwise, I don't think I've seen him enough to be confident in giving an opinion one way or the other.

DasFox is a good RPer. I haven't had the chance to spend a significant amount of time with them, but they are a great Head sec, and any interactions I've had with them or seen them involved in OOC shows they are quite clearly a level headed person, and would surely make a great addition to the mod team.

DasFox seems a decent person in OOC, however, I have a few issues with how you have roleplayed, mainly with your HoS Janette Mccollough.

You play her somewhat carelessly. There was this cult round where I, as warden, was ordered by you to hand you laser weaponry. I did so, and when I asked why you weren't requesting backup (meaning ordering all available officers to report to the armory to also be armed) to deal with the situation in the construction level, you replied to me with something among the lines of "Well, what are you waiting for?" as if I was expected to know I was to leave the brig unsecured because you didn't bother to get anyone else. Shortly after as we prepared to board the elevator, we ran into the chaplain. The first thing you did was to ask them "Hey, you'll be useful. There's some occult shit going on." I don't know what you had experienced or known about the cult at that point, but asking a chaplain to come with you and only one other person to "help" against a group of hostiles that just happened to be doing stuff with blood seem something out of a LRP server. You couldn't have had any idea that the chaplain's religion was going to help in any way. Then, for some reason you say you have to return to your office and leave with one of the laser rifles instead of handing it to an officer/cadet that just happened to walk by. The three one us go up to the construction area and die horribly to juggernauts and what not. I also blame myself for not directly going against your order of having the chaplain respond to an active crime scene even though I thought it was incredibly dumb, but I digress.

Another round the same day I think, you responded to hostile activity in Cargo, yet again on your own. I do not know how hard you tried to request backup before deciding to barge into an area with 2 hostiles, but in the end you got deservedly killed. One of the cultists put your soul into a shard and turned you into a wraith, but you decided you were done with the round and ghosted out of the construct instead of at least running around as a haunting spirit who was there thanks to cultists outrobusting the head of security.

There's also this time you made reference to a +400 year old movie in the security channel by saying "Do you know the second rule of the fight club?" If you had been playing as anything other than a command, I would have let it slide. I wonder what other memey references you have in store for us, but I'm not looking forward to see them coming from a member of whitelisted players.

Quoting movies from modern day is *extremely* common. I really don't see how that's memeing, but alright.

Secondly, I was not alone during the raid on cargo in that cult round. The officers I brought with me besides one, were already cultists. So it didn't do much good anyway.

Also yes, I may play carelessly. However, I asked the chaplain because they were screaming at me in tongue after using a paper to stun me, drawing in blood in strange runes, and talking about sacrificing us. I mean, to be fair, that's a pretty fair assumption I think.

Referencing 400 old movies to your friends in private is acceptable if it has been established that you are both into that era of film. But I challenge you to find a head of staff who makes such references on a much more public setting like the security channel and expect everyone to get it. It is common in the same way unwhitelisted medical players urge people to max their sensors and tell those who say that it's not required to have fun dying in maintenance as if all deaths are canon and it happens all the time on a research station. It's common, but it doesn't mean people should be doing it.

You still rushed two hostiles in a room with your telebaton and got rekt because the other officers got locked behind Cargo doors. I don't have a problem with security trying to save people, but not even having the courtesy to wreck a little chaos in favor of the people who just defeated by instantly ghosting you was poor form, which is why I ahleped to take over your wraith construct.

Asking the religious authority to look into the behavior of the cult is perfectly fine, but it does not excuse you of the way you had them go up there while you knew the hostiles had not been dealt with and he paid the price.

I'd just like to say this is to one of my characters. If it becomes a major issue, I assume I'd be talked to about it. All of my characters react differently to situations, not to mention I simply just don't like cult. I keep it disabled for a reason. Being a construct isn't something I want to do, sorry to break it to you.

Beyond this, I'm not going to continue an argument over it on this thread. If you'd like to talk about it PM me on discord or write up a thread somewhere about it. I'd be happy to continue it there.

• 2 weeks later...

I unfortunately cannot provide any modicum of support towards this application - While I am sure DasFox is a fine player, (despite some of their IC actions being questionable), their OOC conduct is something that concerns me. They are equally if not more confrontational than myself, and will unprovoked, get very nasty quickly if you say something they do not like, one example of this was me joking with another player, saying 'ban Pacman when'

DasFox's response was:

Untitled.png

Unfortunately, this behaviour was very recent and until I can personally see a change in such behaviour, I must urge this application not be accepted, as this kind of behaviour cannot be something that comes from the staff team at any time.

Addendum: I have also been attacked by them in LOOC (as another player here mentioned of themselves) when having a negative interaction ICly with them (see the dismissed complaint against me for more info).

This is going to be a big no from me based on a recent and my only interaction with you. You decided to sporadically call me a ''dumbfuck'' in dsay for no apparent reason, then defending yourself with ''I call everybody a dumbfuck, I don't see the issue rofl'' Perhaps it was the post round salt speaking in you, but regardless, being a mod requires a certain level of maturity, something you, despite being 42, seem to severely lack.

While I am not usually quick to judge based on a single interaction, first impressions do matter especially so as a mod. And you simply haven't made a good one. It's a -1 from me.

You give me a -1 based on a single communication where I was aggravated as a player by repeatedly being talked over when I was asked what happened. I understand first impressions, but that's a little far out there in my opinion. I didn't say it in a way nor intention of being openly hostile. I legitimately just went "hey ya dumbfuck. Here's what happened."

If that's such a major issue for me being casual as a player, might as well start banning people for being salt. :P

If that's such a major issue for me being casual as a player, might as well start banning people for being salt. :P

Okay, I thought this application was alright until we got here. This is a problem. If you expect to be staff you should at least act professional in your application. That’s my personal belief and thus might not carry weight with the deciding staff members.

But to address the issue I saw. This remark here really gives me bad vibes, it gives me a sense that you arnt taking this criticism seriously. Which is half the point of making an application, to find out what the problems are and correct them.

Neutral.

Yes, I gave you a -1 based on a single communication because that is exactly what you will be doing as a mod most of the time. Having ''single communications'' with players that either have ahelped or people you need to bwoink. You'd argue that mods want to have atleast a semblance of professionality in these moments, and not offend whoever they're talking to.

You might not have intended to be openly hostile but intentions aren't everything, the way people perceive you matters too, if not more. Further, instead of going ''Hey, sorry, I meant that as a joke, not to be hostile'' you decided to just deny me taking issue and stating you don't see the issue. Which, frankly, is beyond me. Calling people you're not buddy buddy with dumbfucks is just incredibly rude.

Onto the point of ending the response to my criticism on a ''jokey note'' You're right, you didn't come over as hostile and demeaning, you instead came over as demeaning and not taking my criticism seriously because of it. Having somebody who tends to come over as hostile and demeaning without realizing it as a mod is debatable at best.

-1. Everytime I've encountered them they've seemed upset or angry. Direct interaction is non existent, but I just don't like the jive of how I've seen them argue with others on and off server. The RP I've observed has also just been, well, lackluster. Well, maybe a better description would be just not my cup of tea. I feel like, as a staff member, they'd earn a few complaints.

I'd weigh my input less than others though, since it's entirely based on taste and gut feeling and has no hard evidence.

Allow me to preface this with the disclaimer that I don't have a terrible amount of playtime here and I know them more by their looc blurbs than by their characters.

In a round that just recently ended(bR2-aeY6), they were chastising the CMO in looc for a decision based on what he then knew IC, to a degree I would call nagging. I can't cite other specific examples, but while I'm sure they're characters are all great and well developed, (warning, opinion and hearsay from this point) what I have seen in LOOC (nagging, backseat modding, etc) all would make very concerned about having them as staff.

Harass is the wrong word here. I poke at you in LOOC because you've made these points against me. IE, captain rushing mercenaries alone. (Which you did when one had a hostage.) If it's such a big issue, Xander, make a player complaint.

As well as your comment about being rude to people; You were a CMO who was refusing to scan someone who was shot several times. But I'm not going to put every single scenario here. If i'm asked to sure, but I don't think this is the place.

Poking at someone in LOOC repeatedly to make a point about how they're doing something they criticized you over is a bit much, wouldn't you think? It's also a distraction beyond the usual silly memes people do. It seems to be a sign of immaturity, and from what I've read throughout the course of this application, you aren't someone I would want to see on the moderator team. Troublesome indicators point that, while some may think you are a good player in the community, you aren't the sort of person who should be moderating the community, lest nagging turn into something more.