[+1 dismissal]Brain damage indicator

alexpkeaton

So there are HUD icons or text alerts for nearly all ailments and advisories, medical and otherwise. Sleeping, blindness, bone fractures, phoron atmos contamination, etc. Notably absent is brain damage. As a clone, I really like to RP brain damage, but I'm not always sure if I have been given Alkysine without LOOCing, and, even then, I have no way of knowing if I've received enough of the medication.

I think there could be a HUD icon similar to blindness/sleeping that could appear should you have moderate to severe brain damage. That way, there is a hint that you shouldn't be carrying on fully coherent dialogue or robustly executing complex activities like ranged combat.

There are a few indicators that you do have brain damage, for example:

You will headbutt airlocks, knocking yourself out cold.

You will momentarily forget how to use items such as machinery, PDA etc.

Random blackouts.

Chance to shoot yourself as if you're drunk (unconfirmed).

However I do agree that brain damage should be more noticable such as messed up speech (Not like drunk, but.. Missing or jumbled words), and perhaps.. Forced involuntary emotes like drooling or unsyncronized blinking.

And of course, an indicator to yourself that you feel sluggish or that something aint right.

I disagree with the HUD Icon, its not something that is that obviously noticeable for your mob.

All the other stuff we have hud icons for is extremely obvious (heat, cold, vacuum, phoron).

Where as brain damage (impaired mental functions) is not something someone suffering from that will easily recognize as such (especially if they have "brain damage")

Example for the above: 50% BMW drivers on the road

However I really like the suggestions presented by Pratepresidenten

sadly the voice filter that served this function is either broken, or purposefully removed. if it's the latter, presumably to keep immersion, despite the stupid shit like headbutting airlocks being kept in.

The voice filter was purposefully removed because it broke immersion.

if (getBrainLoss() >= 60 && stat != 2)
if (prob(3))
	switch(pick(1,2,3))
		if(1)
			say(pick("IM A PONY NEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIGH", "without oxigen blob don't evoluate?", "CAPTAINS A COMDOM", "[pick("", "that meatball traitor")] [pick("joerge", "george", "gorge", "gdoruge")] [pick("mellens", "melons", "mwrlins")] is grifing me HAL;P!!!", "can u give me [pick("telikesis","halk","eppilapse")]?", "THe saiyans screwed", "Bi is THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS>", "I WANNA PET TEH monkeyS", "stop grifing me!!!!", "SOTP IT#"))
		if(2)
			say(pick("FUS RO DAH","fucking 4rries!", "stat me", ">my face", "roll it easy!", "waaaaaagh!!!", "red wonz go fasta", "FOR TEH EMPRAH", "lol2cat", "dem dwarfs man, dem dwarfs", "SPESS MAHREENS", "hwee did eet fhor khayosss", "lifelike texture ;_;", "luv can bloooom", "PACKETS!!!"))
		if(3)
			emote("drool")

is significantly more anti-immersive than headbutting airlocks.

Totally forgot about the speech thing which was a thing on Paradise. Problem is that if it's similar/identical to Paracode it would significantly break immersion. Like "FUCKING 4URRIES" and "CAPTAIN IS COMDOM"... I agree a progressive slurring based on amount of brain damage would be good and a suitable replacement to a HUD indicator.

It would be preferable to edit the regular say message from,

Urist McThonked says, "My head doesn't feel too good. What happened?"

to

Urist McThonked gabbles, "My head doesn't feel too good. What happened?"

Maybe add a permastutter until the brain damage is fixed.

No, it would be so hard to talk to the Doctors.

But the gabbling is cool

—

Doctor: How do you feel?

Urist McBaldie: I-I-I-I-I-I-I- fete-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l oooooook-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-aaaaaaayyyyy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...