Incog's Tajaran Boogaloo

BYOND Key: incognitojesus

Character Names: Senri Ishikawa, Damian del Prado, Kir Suhl, Jameson Suhl, Gunny, ISU-6672, Hiroto Sato

Species you are applying to play: Tajara

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Ruddy (RGB 138, 54, 15)

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I would like to play the Tajara race because they seem to have the best thing going for them in terms of actual lore development. I've seen that Mofo plans on developing the Tajara storyline more than just adding fluff every so often. I honestly really enjoy the ingrained sort of differences between the different races of Tajara, which is honestly something that you don't see in any of the other species (the closest parallel I can think of is the way that Guwans are segmented away from society in Unathi culture, but even that is a stretch). The ongoing war was getting very weary, but I do greatly enjoy the dynamic between the different factions, and it provides for tension between the individuals on the station (something I have observed firsthand).

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Roleplaying as a Tajara is different from roleplaying a human in several ways. First, Humans are the general blank slate, and have a lot more freedom in terms of how their backstories can be constructed whereas Tajara are more limited, although they do have much, much more to build off of. Tajara also have different priorities in terms of physical needs while on station such as monitoring their temperature, etc. Tajara have different priorities in general when it comes to their coworkers. A Zhan-Khazan may hold their family closer than M'sai or Hharar, while Njarir may view their family simply as an extension of their bloodline. Lastly, the animosity that can form between Tajaran characters that come from different factions or locations is very interesting, and has lead to some of the most interesting character dynamics I've seen that have come as a result of actual lore.

Character Name: Kadir Al-Shennawi

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Kadir Al-Shennawi was born on 24 May 2439 in the military base of Miran'mir on Adhomai. The Civil War displaced his mother, Rrhuyala of the Njarir'Akhran Rrhamrare line, and her family, forcing her and her father to flee from their ancestral home as the Republican Army closed in on the seat in the year 2429. Facing imminent extermination, the patriarch of the Rrhamrares stowed himself and his young daughter away aboard a fishing vessel where they retreated to Miran'mir. The years passed, and while the patriarch found his family and he well-received because of the few levies he was able to escape with to Miran'mir and as befit his social station, this staled quickly as those levies were exhausted. By the end of the first war, the once-proud noble was nothing more than that but in name, and in turn resorted to helping connect wayward Tajara with coyotes to smuggle them off-planet in the wake of the Republican victory before he himself died of lockjaw in 2442, leaving Kadir's mother a modest sum of money.

The death of Kadir's grandfather left Rrhuyala with enough money to survive for the next ten years, although this only lasted three years before the debts owed by Kadir's father, a sailor in the Republican Navy, forced Rrhuyala into an early poverty by 2445, just a step above the peasantry. Rrhuyala found herself working in a supply warehouse as a clerk, with the kit Kadir at her side as she labored long hours poring over manifests and the sort. As the years went on, Kadir developed an interest in the ships he would see moving in and out of the naval yard, watching and waiting for his father to return after he left in 2444, which he never did.

At the dawn of the year 2453, while Kadir was working in a library in Barj'ar, his mother dropped dead of shock as fireworks went off above Miran'mir. Hearing this dreadful news several months later, Kadir returned to Miran'mir, lied about his age and claimed to be two years older, before enlisting in the Royal Navy at the age of 14, working his way up from an Able Seaman aboard a battleship to a gunner's mate over the course of the next five years. He blamed the PRA for his family's hardship, and was determined to get into the fight, although he would never experience any heavy combat beyond moderate skirmishes. He was medically discharged in 2458 after loss of hearing in his left ear, and Kadir returned to Miran'mir once more.

This time, however, Kadir was not content to remain in Miran'mir for the rest of his life, toiling away like some peasant in a warehouse. Instead, he arranged passage with a family friend who worked with the coyotes, and smuggled himself to Tau Ceti in the cargo hold of a fur trader in the year. In Tau Ceti, he applied for a visa, and found himself working for the biggest employer in the system, Nanotrasen, as a slightly less impoverished noble in a warehouse, taking up shifts as a cargo technician when possible, and working on his poetry.

He arrived in Tau Ceti, a newfound sense of freedom in the air mixed with fear as he stepped off the ship, stretching out his legs, and with a flick of his ear, went to a safehouse in District Six, Little Adhomai while the coyotes awaited the rest of his payment to arrive on the next ship. Kadir was sickened having to live amongst his lesser Tajara, and pondered a way to get out of the district, perhaps even out of the city. More so, he was sickened with himself for his method of payment, a silvered brooch wrought with gold that was given to his mother by her late father. The payment went through, and he was given forged documents, and then Kadir was on his own. Where else was he to turn for employment, a Tajara in Tau Ceti? Kadir was conflicted, but the hunger pains in his stomach and the lost weight practically forced him to either beggar himself, or work for the very corporation that could very well have supported those who wrought destruction upon his family, and his birthright.

Kadir of the line Rrhamrare swore to himself that he would begrudgingly work for Nanotrasen at the time, and one day, when the NKA, the rightful government, was poised to destroy the Communists, he would return home to Adhomai. He would not return to Miran'mir, but rather to his ancestral home.

What do you like about this character?

I would say that I enjoy the struggle of identity that is present in Kadir, as while he does come from a noble background, this didn't mean much in his upbringing. He craves to reclaim what he views as his birthright, or to at least live in luxury as he feels he should be. He views himself as genetically superior to his non-Njarir coworkers, although he doesn't play this up openly. He acknowledges that there are PRA and ALA sympathizers on the station, but takes pleasure in knowing there is nothing they can do to him while he is in Tau Ceti space, or so he believes. He is a firm believer in the NKA, and despises what he views as Communist peasants.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

This is always a loaded question. I could definitely work on emoting more, but I would hope that this whitelist would facilitate that more. I always try to keep my character at least believable, and am open to suggestions regarding backstory.

Notes:

As I said, I'm open to editing the backstory. I worked with Alb to try and make a backstory that connects to an already established character, and want to give a shout out that way. I felt as though the backstory of the family was important because he is Njarir, although I did cut out a few things because of length that may come up as questions, so feel free to ask away.

EDIT: Also changed the color to Ruddy because Garfield isn't cool.

Edited by Guest

IJ is one of the most interesting roleplayers to interact with, I had good experiences with Senri Ishikawa and Damian del Prado mostly. I believe he could roleplay a tajara without any issues, speaking as someone that did help him with the backstory and character's concept.

+1, it has my support.

I see you are willingly to drop your high school as the longest ongoing player without a whitelist species and I will claim this status. *cue evil chuckles*

IncognitoJesus is one of the best roleplayer that Aurora Station has gotten and is my second most respected ex-staff (first being [mention]Serveris[/mention]). He knows how to handle situations well and know difference between what is a good roleplay and what is a bad roleplay. I have interacted many of the times and was able to produce a good RP result. IncognitoJesus will surely not put the Tajaran race into bad light and is eager to continue this. If you can read this, help me. I am being bullied by IncogntioJesus. You're my only hope.

+1

First off, the whole backstory leading up to enrollment is good, you cover his life from start to finish and the simple description of events tells us what kind of character he's growing into, you cover the basic Tajara lore, show your knowledge about the nobles and their downfall and the charcaters backstory reflects it, very nice.

But the issue is since the story is well done and connected, the bad ending becomes very noticable.

For being what is technically one of the most important parts of his life it's extremely short, flavorless and bland.

The thing is why would they accept someone who smuggled himself out when they have plenty of legally background clean and cheap tajara? How did he know about NT what led him to it? Wouldn't he be actually quite angry with NT since they were one of the reasons of the rebelion?

The rest is well done but the ending is a bit of a slap in the face, actual RP experience is as others said mediocre to excellent depending on the mood, time of day, cycle of the moon and your menopause.

So yes while I adressed my only issue I don't have a problem with giving a +1 even before that ending is patched since it has nothing to do with how you understand the species but with how your character got there.

So yeah I support this

Yeah, the ending is definitely something I need to work on. It's one of those things near the end when I was looking at the length of the application and decided some things could be omitted, but I'll update it tonight when there's a lull in my schedule. Or in a few hours, depending on how the day goes. I am glad that people enjoy the bits before that though, and thanks for the kind words about my roleplay. I'll post here again once it's updated and tag you and Coalf.

i rrrrrrrefuse to allow incognitohitler to become a fucking furry ban this man on the down low, I'm sending in my team of russian hackers as we fucking SPEAK.

yeah incog is cool and I support him because he is an admin and I don't want to get hit by his swat team for not supporting his fursona. he is a good RPer with a good history and the reasons stated above.

+1

Wow I really like this app. I've seen Incog RP and know he's capable enough in that regard without just echoing what others are saying. He's used dates more effective than I ever could and has a really detailed background for this character, that sadly ends abruptly. I can't wait to see how you fix up that ending. Even with it I firmly believe you have a strong grasp on RP and handling a cat char.

I don't have much time to provide a full feedback since I got called into work, but here's a quick synopsis:

Surprised your studied lore, especially Tajara lore, since you never really seemed interested in either lore or Tajara. Stuff from all over the Tajara wiki pages are here and placed properly in context, showing excellent understanding of the lore.

Great application! Strong story, the new ending was far more powerful.

What a great guy, good at RP, tons of peer reviews that add to my already positive perception of the player.

Approved. Go dab on the commies.