[Declined] BurgerBB's Diona Species Maintainer.

Ckey/BYOND Username: BurgerBB

Position Being Applied For Dionaea Species Maintainer

Past Experiences/Knowledge: I've been a Filthy Dionaea main for several months.

Examples of Past Work:

I honestly have no lore work to show, except for a work in progress wiki overhall I'm doing to prove that Im' competent in understanding established dionaea lore as well as writing.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FH5RToM4RXjNJEt9-sQ42LKAqRbmJG0sJHWD3wvGvQY/edit?usp=sharing

The current dionaea wiki is heavily outdated and is lacking in some serious information regarding dionaea biology. I've also done some code changes to reflect the lore, and planning more as I look more and more into the Dionaea code.

Additional Comments:

There is a heavy emphasis on "Maintainer" on my role. Any established lore by the previous dionaea lore dev will remain the same unless there is an incredibly good reason, however new lore will be introduced in order to make the Dionaea a complete and unique race while still remaining mysterious.

I thoroughly enjoy the lore for being incredibly freeform and open ended, however like I said I rather keep it that way by maintaining the lore and only doing expansions if there is a desperate and/or logical need of clarification in the lore.

If I ever have to introduce anything revolutionary or big in the lore, it would be the fact that dionaea have a very strong desire to feel and experience the pleasures and knowings of life. They are like viruses in a sense where on a basic level they hoard and consume knowledge and biomass to store that knowledge in. it would be part of their evolution to either be born with a desire to consume, or break off a gestalt with the will to seek out more knowledge and then eventually report back to the main gestalt after hoarding it.

Additional Additional Comments:

The google doc I provided also includes some headcanon of my own. That is what the wiki would look like if I had complete and total creative control over diona and only displays my skill, whether or low or high, as a writer and making creative decisions.

Hi there, Mofo1995 here. I had some issues and concerns that I wanted to raise regarding, primarily, the proposed changes to Dionaea lore. I will start with a summary of my complaints before launching into a more detailed explanation of my opinions. I think the suggested changes seem to really change the Dionaea into annoying Mary Sues, all the while paradoxically stripping them of their beautiful concept and originality. That's really the meat of my complaint, so I'll take it step by step to compare and contrast with the current canon.

The Overview section:

Overview

The Diona are strange, mythological-like sentient beings with multiple forms and functions based on the accumulated biomass of that creature. The most basic form is the nymph, as it is considered a single Diona, however the most common form is the gestalt; a collective of about six nymphs, merged together in a humanoid shape. This shape is a cluster of biomass of collective consciousness all sharing the same thoughts and intentions as the rest. In a gestalt, each nymph is the brain and a limb working towards a greater purpose.

This overview is far less descriptive than the current overview. The current one launches into some important information, such as how an individual nymph is just considered and animal and carries only the legal rights an animal would have, words for singular diona, plural dionae, and plural gestalts Dionaea, a quick rundown on diet and biology, and a description of their learning process. It's very informative and doesn't have any redundant or useless information. This one however is very short, and uses far too much reverence when describing dionaea. The largest style problem of the current Dionaea wiki page is how choppy Sleepy and Hurtz's sentence structures were, but this seems to exacerbate the problem with run on sentences with far too many prepositional phrases and even a semi colon. The idea that it posits that all nymphs within a gestalt share the same thoughts and intentions is also contradictory to the lore you wrote later, as you changed a gestalt from a harmonious entity to a democracy of individual nymphs with their own thoughts and feelings in your rewrite. Saying they all work together towards a greater purpose just winds back to how I feel that this overview discusses Diona with too much reverence, same with using the phrase "Mythological-like." While the current wiki is honest about how the larger forms of Dionaea appear in a vague Skrell mythology, it doesn't really reinforce the idea that they really are mysteriously mythological.

The biology section:

Biology

Diona nymphs are small creatures that can range in size from a soda can to a fully grown adult housecat. The biological makeup of a nymph shares heavy resemblance to a eukaryotic cell, but with its nucleus exposed and acting as a lightwave-sensitive retina that is always active unless in danger. The skin is an off-brown dense, moist, spongy makeup similar to a mushroom, and their insides makeup thick, green-colored sticky radium-laced liquid that digests and synthesis nutrients into biomass to be used later for gestalt growth. This strange green coo acts as blood, stomach acid, and a brain to store data in.

In addition to the absorption of biomatter, nymphs also synthesis nutrients through light as well as small carbon particles present in the air. However, unlike plants, nymphs do not require carbon dioxide to breathe however a nymph cannot last very long without a reliable light source. A nymph can survive for long periods of time without air, however may die in a few minutes in total darkness.

A unique feature of nymphs is their ability to merge into other nymphs as one and form new subtypes of lifeforms with various traits and abilities, effectively increasing the total intelligence of the lifeform. This is where they are referred to as "Dionaea", the plural of Diona. While Dionaea do have several traits similar to plant-based organisms, such as regeneration and photosynthesis, Dionaea biology contains a number of rudimentary systems such as a digestive system and a nervous system.

The digestive system, or commonly known as the nutrient channel, is a channel that absorbs nutrients from digestive material and distributes them to all the nymphs in the gestalt. This system is also important to the survival of the gestalt as it allows the nymph to communicate to each other through information stored in their blood.

Another such system is the nervous system, or known as the response node, a sensor that detects light levels, acting like a pain mechanism for light. Dionaea do not feel normal pain like regular lifeforms do due to a lack of an fully fledged nervous system, however nymphs in a gestalt will still alert each other through data stored via blood if one senses injuries. The only form of pain they feel can be compared to emotional distress and lethargy when exposed to prolonged periods of darkness. Gestalts larger than workers tend to have extra organs that are larger than normal to make up for the additional biomass.

There is a difference in needs for a nymph to survive. A nymph requires biomass as well as light to survive and grow, while a dionaea gestalt requires light. A gestalt is so efficient, it can go several years without consuming biomatter, however if the gestalt is in total darkness, they will not last very long and may split into nymphs to sacrifice lesser nymphs into sustainable biomatter.

This is comparing technobabble to technobabble. As it stands, I prefer the current standing technobabble, or really biosci-fi-babble to this strand of bio-sci-fi-babble. From writer to writer I feel that putting the plural Dionaea into the biology section into the overview is a downgrade and makes it harder to find, and I could criticize how the form "Dionae" is removed completely. Now one change which I didn't like was that it removes the spacial potential for Dionaea. How can there be space-faring satellites of our bushwalking monstrosities if they cannot reproduce in space at all? The idea of being mysterious floating space hive minds is much more interesting, but you kept those large forms canon while also removing the only perceivable way that they could grow. Do these forms take shape on a planet and then somehow take off to space? I understand that space is supposed to be without any biomass or nutrients, but you have to remember we have space faring lifeforms in our setting that are relatively common. These range from space bears to space carp. Campy and unrealistic though it is, Dionaea could easily have a form of biomatter in space. There's also consistent references to a planet and to having natural predators... but what planet? And what predators?

The age, reproduction, and early life section:

Age, Reproduction, and Early Life.

Diona nymphs without gestalts share the same general shape structure through their lifetime, however the size of nymph change based on biomass provided. The average lifespan of a non-domesticated nymph is approximately three years as stray nymphs are a common, nutritious, snack among predators. Otherwise, nymphs can last up to 300 years without a gestalt under ideal conditions, however a nymph reaching past the age of 10 years alone is incredibly rare due to their strong desire to merge with a gestalt.

Gestalts, on the other hand, can live up to 1000 years of age before showing signs of serious mental or physical decay. It is incredibly rare for a heavy gestalt to maintain a stable relationship with the other 5 nymphs past the age of 300, let alone maintain a healthy form after 500.

Diona reproduce asexually by spontaneously releasing specially made spores that contain the framework to form dionaea nymphs. These spores latch onto nearby surfaces, and then slowly absorb light and nutrients in the air until the spore detaches and a nymph is born. This feat can only be done by gestalts who are typically between the ages of 60 to 110. This feat is usually done during the spring equivalent of a planet's season, and is appropriately named "Seeding season." This feat never happens in space, as space air is usually purified of important nutrients for a nymph's survival.

Once a nymph is born, it begins to recklessly feed on readily available plant matter nearby, including the corpses of nearby animals and sometimes other nymphs. Through the devouring of this matter, it's intelligence increases significantly. This process of consumption can be sped up if the nymph is allowed to consume the blood of a living sentient being. Through this absorption of blood, the nymph can learn rudimentary basic things about the sentient such as its culture, language, and some basic skills.

Okay so let's talk about what this changes about Diona lore. First thing's first: It adds a life span. Second: It changes Dionae to be some forest dwelling creature with natural predators that snack on them. Second, it adds divorce, as apparently instead of being a harmonious collective of lifeforms with a singular will, they get into arguments and break up after 300. Third, it uses "this feat" as the opening to a sentence three sentences in a row. Now, I would argue that the fact that Dionaea could go on forever and be an ancient tree being is way more interesting than deteriorating and dying off eventually. They alone held the aesthetic of being a purely biological being with functional immortality, whereas Vaurcae had VR hiveminds and synthetics can just get new hardware. It really removes a unique aspect from them. Also, by giving each individual nymph agency instead of having a truly merged being... I don't know. I really hate it. The peaceful gestalt of nymphs all becoming one that is also many was always kind of beautiful to me. I feel like this trashes that, especially when it comes to them being able to argue with each other within the gestalt so much that they break up and die.

The sentience and intelligence section:

Sentience and Intelligence

The intelligence levels of nymphs still baffle top skrellian and human scientists to this day. A collective of nymph brains, while small, are incredibly effective at processing and storing information with incredible accuracy. A newly born nymph has the intelligence equivalent of a young child who learned how to speak, but within hours and proper tutoring, the nymph can have the same or greater amount of intelligence of a human with a high school diploma or equivalent education.

A dionaea gestalt of 4 to 8 nymphs can have the combined intelligence of 2 to 8 humans, depending on the age and size of the lifeform. However despite this intelligence, these dionaea may not always quickly and accurately recall data stored due to a number of factors such as mental stress, poor mental health, lack of blood circulation, and conflicting accounts of data.

This section really jumps the shark to me. Before a nymph had the intelligence of a "very young child", but this wants me to believe that a newborn can be as intelligent as a fully grown adult after a couple hours. In addition to retconning out that nymphs are considered nothing more than animals (or at least removing mention of it) this would lead everyone to believe that the blood sucking killer Dionae are people too. Changing the species from a unified mind to multiple personality disorder and then having each individual in that multiple personality have absurd intelligence levels even from being hours old is just... bad. It removes the core aesthetic of the Diona while making them smug genius intellectuals. Then it takes the gestalt and makes it a super duper ultra genius, and I just can't help but hate it. Before, a gestalt was on par with a smart human or an educated skrell. But now the combined intelligence of 2 to 8 rick and morty fans? Also, "mental stress, poor mental health, lack of blood circulation, and conflicting accounts of data." The first two... fine. A gestalt is, for all intents and purposes, a person. But conflicting accounts of data? Once again, I really don't like the idea that east Nymph, despite being gestalted together, retains individuality. Harmonious collective peacetrees is a far stronger aesthetic, not Voltron of nymphs.

Learning section:

Learning

As a result of their intelligence, diona are incredibly fast learners and are able to accurately recite entire volumes of novels with incredible accuracy, and learn how to do things from simple observation. However the speed of recollection can take anywhere from a few seconds to an entire hour, depending on how recent the memory is as well as the mental fortitude of the nymphs involved.

So, as the current canon goes, the learning potential of some gestalted dionae was inversely proportional to the intelligence of that group of dionae. So a single nymph wasn't very intelligent and couldn't hold much information, but it could pick up on things very quickly. But massive colussus and shells instead held onto tremendous amounts of information but were slow to learn new things. This kind of axes that by just making all dionae learn pretty much instantly in addition to being able to know ridiculous amounts of information on hand. It feels like it removes balance from the force.

Joining and Splitting section:

Joining and Splitting

The process of a collective of nymphs joining together to form as one is a serious and sentimental part of a Diona's lifespan. To Dionaea, it's importance can only be compared to a birth and a marriage on the same day and it is celebrated with a new name for the collective, which is usually based on a pleasurable experience, feeling, or choice of words. In order for a merge to full take place, a name must be agreed upon by the collective and a "head nymph" must be chosen to act as the chosen superior or leader of the rest of the nymphs.

Despite the term, head nymphs are not the absolute leader of the gestalt, but the dedicated "brain center" of the nymphs that processes thoughts and actions while the other nymphs focus on things such as locomotive manipulation and organ management. If one or more nymphs disagree during a merge, serious consequences might occur for each nymph involved. Many nymphs die to do malformed merges during disagreements regarding the new gestalt's name and head nymph.

The process of splitting a gestalt is usually met with intense sorrows, and is only done during dire circumstances such as near death or mental instability. Not only is a split emotionally taxing, it is physically and mentally a burden as well depending on a nymph's age and circumstances of the split. Some nymphs do not survive the splitting process, and the nymphs who do are usually left with fragmented memories and knowledge of previous experiences.

I don't like this at all. I would cut the whole thing. Again, I just really personally don't like the new plan to change the Dionaea into a bunch of kids standing on each other's shoulders wearing a coat. Though really it's a bunch of small fully grown adults rooming together in one body. The whole vibe I get here is that gestalts are, well you say it, marriage. Adding analogues to things like marriage, dating, and divorce to Dionaea rips their originality right from them and makes me think of them as a bunch of small vampiric humans who can form Voltron rather than the bizarre and alien plant-like lifeforms they currently are. I mean this even goes as far as them all up and dying if they argue over what the name of their mecha should be, and even go as far as to form a social hierarchy within the gestalt, which again they can up and die if they don't like the vote for head nymph. With this, they're just no longer the ominous and powerful space lifeforms, and are now just a bunch of petty bickering trivial little humans.

Classifications section:

Classifications

Diona gestalts, or more commonly referred to Dionaea, the plural form of Diona, are a collection of three or more nymphs working together to form a greater organism all glued together by the nymph's secretious liquid. There are several classifications of gestalts that are based on size, including Worker, Colossus, Shell, Satellite, and Singularity.

Worker Gestalts are wide humanoid shaped masses of 4 to 8 nymphs ranging from being 6 to 8 feet tall depending on its total biomass. Worker gestalts are the most common form of gestalts as they are usually the most efficient way of traveling safely and the most safest form to be around.

Colossus Gestalts are a collection of 8 to 16 stationary nymphs joined together as one giant gestalt. These gestalts are very rare, incredibly intelligent, and are only usually seen locked away in hidden Skrellian research facilities for study and computing power.

Shell Gestalts are incredibly rare 100+ nymphs, taking the form of large, stationary structures. They are usually found in places with constant light, such as derelict ships, planets with almost constant sun and radiation exposure, or orbiting planet-less stars. These forms are hyper intelligent and have the potential knowledge of 10,000-100,000 years of recorded time.

Satellite Gestalts are several million nymphs forming a biomass large enough to have the same gravitational influence of a moon. These satellites are self-sustaining, and do not require constantly light or nutrients due to the amount of collective nuclear radiation emitted from within the biomass. Only two Satellites exist in the known galaxy, and have the potential knowledge of several million years worth of recorded time. The Skrell and the humans are currently actively studying and communicating with these gestalts.

Singularity Gestalts are purely theoretical gestalt forms that make up billions upon billions of nymphs with enough emitted radiation and energy to melt nearby planets and absorb nearby stars. The amount of intelligence of this life form could accurately record and analyze the movement of every single atom from the big bang, all the way to the heat death of the universe. Singularity Gestalts are the result of every single dionaea nymph that used to exist, currently exists, and will exist merging together as one.

Worker criticism:

"Most Safest" lmao

Colossus criticism:

"These gestalts are very rare, incredibly intelligent, and are only usually seen locked away in hidden Skrellian research facilities for study and computing power." is far weaker when compared to: "A rare form, the Diona Colossus is a large network - often upward of a dozen - of nymphs inter-connected, forming a veritable physical and information net. The Skrell are looking into inducing this form and using it as a controlled organic processor for facilities. Very high intelligence, low learning potential." It's way less descriptive, and while saying something like being locked away and hidden by Skrell captures Skrell pretty well, it removes the idea that it's more difficult for them to chew on more intellectual material despite having a vast pool of knowledge and processing power. It also removes makes vague the idea that Skrell are trying to make biological computers as a competition to synthetic AI, which they are naturally opposed to. Overall cheapens the theme of Skrell and Dionaea as an axis of biology as a riot against the cosmos.

Shell Criticism:

"Shell Gestalts are incredibly rare 100+ nymphs, taking the form of large, stationary structures. They are usually found in places with constant light, such as derelict ships, planets with almost constant sun and radiation exposure, or orbiting planet-less stars. These forms are hyper intelligent and have the potential knowledge of 10,000-100,000 years of recorded time."

Mn4Ch9o.jpg

All around, far less interesting than "An even rarer form, a Diona Shell is a large-scale structure - the ones found were made of more than hundreds of nymphs - exhibiting advanced intelligence and isolationist tendencies. One particular example was found growing around a derelict space station - it is also believed that the "Organic Craft" that attached itself to the human cruiser reached at least this state. Extreme intelligence, assumed low learning potential." One theme which the current lore reinforces a bit is that the more out of hand intelligent dionaea become, the more insular they also become. Afterall, if these hyper intelligent super beings were proactive and intervened elsewhere... wouldn't it cause massive issues in the setting? What's to stop a satellite or a shell from dropping bombs of secrets about the universe on humans and skrell and what not? Imagine the destruction it could cause to hand over a bunch of high tech level ideas to your local Jargon Federation, upsetting the balance of power in the galaxy as the technological edge dramatically outpaces the Alliance's numerical superiority. The current lore's isolationist and reclusive tendencies of the most advanced forms makes for better prose, as the reader is left to wonder what sort of exceptional truths they've become enlightened about that causes them to actively seek becoming a passive force in the galaxy, and why the satellite gestalts are so reticent to even reciprocate a hello to anyone knocking on their door.

As far as the rest, I'm supposed to believe that satellites, which are a giant living organism, have their own biological nuclear reactor contained within? Or rather, that they break the law of the conservation of energy by just emitting on themselves from within the gestalt to grow from nothing? Let's stick with sunlight. Now as far as the singularity goes, I feel like we've removed a lot of cool style from it and added some more "look how absurdly smart they are!" The way the current lore is, a form of this nature would be killed on sight by the Jargon Federation for the threat it poses to the galaxy. You see, as it currently stands, the Skrell are afraid that something of this nature could be just as intelligent and destructive as Glorsh-Omega, which was an AI that spanned a multi-solar empire. But it didn't have something which made me cringe such as "able to track every single atom in the entire universe from birth to heat death." Plus, I don't like how it takes the theoretical nature of it and goes hyperbolic by making it impossible to ever actually form, requiring all nymphs that will ever exist to be formed. It removes the real and tangible threat, while also stepping up its power level to an absurd size.

I'm skipping the further merging section. While it adds a nice balance to why all Dionaea don't just come together (other than the threat of being slain by the Skrell) it still relies on the whole head nymph idea, which I've already expressed my disdain for.

Culture and Personality section:

Culture and Personality

Culture and personality varies from diona to diona, and is largely based on the knowledge absorbed and learned as a nymph and as a gestalt. Nymphs who absorb the blood of a species, or are around a species, tend to behave like that particular species. In some occurrences where nymphs absorb the blood of criminals, those nymphs usually go on to lead violent criminal lifestyles and work as excellent thieves, spies, and smugglers due to their small size and agility.

Emotions also vary by the age of a diona; younger diona tend to be as emotional as a sane minded human while older diona tend to be more numb to emotions and not display it as much. In most cases, diona are peaceful until provoked. Despite their soft mushroom like body, they can defend themselves by using their tendrils as deadly, painful whips or using nearby tools and weapons like other sentient beings. Sometimes, depending on the gestalts age, it will forget or be completely oblivious to the fact that other organisms feel pain until it happens.

I would be disgusted to see a Tajaran personality and cultured Dionaea. And well, really, this just goes on to further remove Dionaea from their current unique standing. This is just literally giving them a free pass to just be human. Because any diona player could just say they absorbed blood from humans and therefore could act exactly like a human in every way. Also, the idea that there are just criminal nymphs leading lives as thieves spies and smugglers is just painful. There were already serious issues in the past of nymph players going way too far with self antagging, and with Nanakode giving nymphs the ability to stone cold kill people just by taking a sip of their blood, this is a very poor mixture that I don't want to see come to fruition. I've already said it and I will continue to maintain it, I would seriously prefer if we kept the current canon of nymphs having only the intelligence of a very young child. The idea that they also just frequently fail to register that others can feel pain only further reinforces the license to self antag.

Family and relationships:

Relationships and Family

Due to their asexual nature, Diona do not have feelings of love or lust towards each other. Generally, nymphs in a gestalt treat one another as family, and nymphs outside of that gestalt as extended family. Diona, despite their actual age, tend to treat nymphs like children or nephews, equal lifeforms as siblings or cousins, and greater lifeforms as parents, uncles, or grandparents. Typically, Diona do not feel a strong attachment to nymphs created through their seedlings or through merging as they regard all nymphs and gestalts as the same unless the nymph or gestalt is proven to be troublesome.

Diona do however, like to befriend other lifeforms or sometimes even inanimate objects. They are very quick to make friends, and are just as quick to make enemies depending on the collective's decision on the pleasantness of the person or object.

I don't like the family aesthetic. I'd rather family be an alien concept to Dionaea. I mean, they're weird plant-like things that form collective hiveminds. Something like children, siblings, parents, etc just fits very poorly and shouldn't be a concept native to themselves.

I'm fine with them befriending other things or even making enemies out of other things. That aspect doesn't really affect the current lore at all.

Self-Identity:

Self-Identity

Diona do not have a determinate sex as their lifeforms are asexual, their sex is usually listed as "Neuter." officially. However, some Diona may sometimes refer to themselves as a male or a female depending on their personality as well as the source of the knowledge they gained. Diona who absorb more female blood tend to lean towards being a female, while those who absorb more male blood tend to lean towards male.

Typically, a nymph will refer to themself using the singular "I" while a collective of nymphs in a gestalt will refer to themselves as "we" or "this one", referring to their gestalt form. Sometimes, due to the desire to avoid confusion or the time spent around other species, gestalts will sometimes refer to their collective as "I" instead of the plural "we".

This is painful. Keep Dionaea completely neutral. Something like the concept of gender should be completely far removed from the Dionaea. Once again this strongly humanizes the Diona and by removing the pronoun construct of saying "we" and just letting them talk like normal humans and saying "I" just negates one of the few verbal and noticeable differences between Dionaea and... again... humans. With this proposed rewrite, it would be entirely possible to just make a Diona that's a human in every way, from culture to gender to sentence structure, with the only difference being biological form.

I don't have much to say about the language section, other than "To them, hearing ceti basic is similar to hearing at toddler smash random keys on a piano." is a very poor simile for a wiki page. It just doesn't feel like it fits in with the informative tone the rest of the wiki strives for.

EDIT: I do not support this application for Diona species dev.

Well obviously if people don't like the Dionaea changes then I won't implement them. First thing I will do, if I get the position, is ask the community what is lacking when it comes to Dionaea and work from there. Anything changed in the wiki will be on a general approval basis because it would be ridiculous to overhaul the lore without doing gradual changes. Keep in mind that I wrote that document with 0 contact with Skrell and Unathi loredevs (let alone anyone who else who plays dionaea) when writing that document.

I think it is incredibly hasty to dismiss my application based on my equivalent of a fanfiction submission of what I think Dionaea are biology wise.

So, I won't really echo Mofo's concern here since it's already touched upon.

Now, you seem quite eager when it comes to Diona, you've contributed quite a bit from the mechanical side of things, but there are a few concerns I have about you.

Now, from personal observation, which could all well be wrong but it's what I've seen, I'd like you to correct me or provide further context if I'm not correct here based on your opinion. You've had a few run ins with staff, all of it barring one pertains to roleplay in general, though I'm chalking up the first two to you being new as they're based on you being new at the time.

I also can't really say that your Diona roleplay is something I too approve of, based on a staff encounter with another Admin and a picture you've posted.

t77MPre.png

This doesn't really seem alien to me, a Dionae telling another that they shagged their mother. Remove the name and I'll just say it's a human with a speech issue. This makes me skeptical in the quality of whitelists that you may approve and the bar in which you hold your current whitelistees to.

Now, that's not to say everything I have about you is bad. You're eager, you've done a lot of work mechanically. But maybe you'd be better suited to helping current lore developers instead of taking the mantle yourself?

Edit: It's also come to my attention that one of your Dionae characters is supposedly versed in the following jobs.

• Bartender
  • Chef
  • Cargo Technician
  • Janitor
  • Librarian
  • Scientist
  • Roboticist
  • Medical Resident
  • Lab Assistant

Which is also not a full list as I see it doing chemistry as well. All these qualifications were supposedly attained in

EDUCATION SUMMARY:

The Nal'tor College of Career Excellence, Culinary Aptitude Test Pass [29/8/2459]

The Nal'tor College of Career Excellence, Horticulture Test Pass [12/8/2459]

Mars University, Masters, Mechatronics Completed [6/10/2446]

Lunar University of Medical Science, Doctorate, Medicine [3/8/2456]

Lunar University of Medical Science, Doctorate, Philosophy [3/8/2456]

CURRENT QUALIFICATIONS:

Test, Culinary Aptitude Test Pass, 93%

Test, Horticulture Test Pass, 96%

Doctorate, Medicine

Doctorate, Philosophy

Masters, Mechatronics

I'm leaning against supporting this application now, since I'm getting vibes that you're going to effectively change the Diona into a species that is quite powerful. Though I'd like to hear your thoughts on these too. How do you justify them? What is your reasoning? How come your character is able to effectively work the most specialized and difficult jobs?

So, I won't really echo Mofo's concern here since it's already touched upon.

Now, you seem quite eager when it comes to Diona, you've contributed quite a bit from the mechanical side of things, but there are a few concerns I have about you.

Now, from personal observation, which could all well be wrong but it's what I've seen, I'd like you to correct me or provide further context if I'm not correct here based on your opinion. You've had a few run ins with staff, all of it barring one pertains to roleplay in general, though I'm chalking up the first two to you being new as they're based on you being new at the time.

I also can't really say that your Diona roleplay is something I too approve of, based on a staff encounter with another Admin and a picture you've posted.

t77MPre.png

This doesn't really seem alien to me, a Dionae telling another that they shagged their mother. Remove the name and I'll just say it's a human with a speech issue. This makes me skeptical in the quality of whitelists that you may approve and the bar in which you hold your current whitelistees to.

Now, that's not to say everything I have about you is bad. You're eager, you've done a lot of work mechanically. But maybe you'd be better suited to helping current lore developers instead of taking the mantle yourself?

Edit: It's also come to my attention that one of your Dionae characters is supposedly versed in the following jobs.

• Bartender
  • Chef
  • Cargo Technician
  • Janitor
  • Librarian
  • Scientist
  • Roboticist
  • Medical Resident
  • Lab Assistant

Which is also not a full list as I see it doing chemistry as well. All these qualifications were supposedly attained in

EDUCATION SUMMARY:

The Nal'tor College of Career Excellence, Culinary Aptitude Test Pass [29/8/2459]

The Nal'tor College of Career Excellence, Horticulture Test Pass [12/8/2459]

Mars University, Masters, Mechatronics Completed [6/10/2446]

Lunar University of Medical Science, Doctorate, Medicine [3/8/2456]

Lunar University of Medical Science, Doctorate, Philosophy [3/8/2456]

CURRENT QUALIFICATIONS:

Test, Culinary Aptitude Test Pass, 93%

Test, Horticulture Test Pass, 96%

Doctorate, Medicine

Doctorate, Philosophy

Masters, Mechatronics

I'm leaning against supporting this application now, since I'm getting vibes that you're going to effectively change the Diona into a species that is quite powerful. Though I'd like to hear your thoughts on these too. How do you justify them? What is your reasoning? How come your character is able to effectively work the most specialized and difficult jobs?

I hope that this isn't seen as any sort of backpedaling, but I will explain everything.

I've had two runs in with staff and that had to do with general stupidity on my part. First was joining as simply "Pedro" when I was new to Space Station 13, and the second was severely underestimating the power of an APC explosion while playing as a malf AI. I've had a lot of admin pms in terms of me doing dumb things or things that needed clarification, such as me setting my security record to "Ex Revolutionary" thinking that only antags saw security records.

That image does not reflect the entirety of my roleplay as Dionaea. It was a very poor attempt to be funny in an OOCly manner by having my character act clueless by not understanding emotions or humor, hence the very poor phrasing of me trying to shift aggression from one dionaea to another. But as you said, Dionaea shouldn't behave like that, and I'm limiting my poor attempts at humor to general cluelessness that doesn't involve emotion.

As for my records, they do need updating after the job-hopping announcement. Before the announcement, I was under the impression by lore that Dionaea could read books and understand them fully as it is stressed that they are very intelligent beings in terms of hoarding knowledge. To me, robotics, science, and a medical resident were very close (as you all need experience in medical and science professions to play these roles) but now, that is flawed logic. I've been permanently sticking to botany, cooking, and chemistry. I don't think I've ever touched robotics this year, and as for roles like Cargo Technician, Librarian, and Janitor, those are roles I have never played and are just there because technically I do have the skills and degrees require to be able to play those roles as they have very low requirements.

In terms of balancing Dionaea, I intend to really keep them roughly the same as they are now. Given how other developers are vigilant in terms of that sort of thing, it would be next to impossible to make dionaea super powerful even if I wanted to or if I had the influence. I know that's like saying "Don't worry, I won't kill you because the police would probably stop me from doing so." but that's how I see things. Same really applies to lore chances given how strongly people feel about protecting the lore of dionaea.

However, I'm not saying that I'm not going to change everything only with everyone's total approval. Like any other position whose job it is to approve things, there will be decisions made that will receive everyone's approval, and decisions made that will not receive everyone's approval. I worked on balancing a gmod deathmatch server for 4 years (See: https://github.com/BurgerLUA/CSSWeapons and https://github.com/BurgerLUA/burgerbaseweapons ) and made bad PRs for 4 months so I know what to expect when those moments come, but unlike a garrysmod server, aurora has a large community of dedicated dionaea players that know what they're talking about and understand what dionaea are to the point where they're likely qualified to be a head lore dev.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello, another applicant was chosen for this position. Thank you for your interest and please apply again in the future if the position opens up again!