How Are Freelance Journalists (And Journalists in General) Going?

Hello,

The new journalist job with its alt title have been implemented for about a month now. We ultimately went in a slightly divergent way from the original suggestion on Press Freedom, which can be found here:

viewtopic.php?p=101531#p101531

To summarize,
"The Corporate Journalist has basic access to all departments. Their guide (and intro blurb) encourage them to put a positive NT-friendly spin on their stories. They are here for morale and to make the corporation look good. They can be d-noticed and their news stories censored freely by the Captain. Because they are a private agent of the corporation, they are not granted freedom of the press.

Freelance journalists are conceptualized like the Merchant; they are detached from the station command. They have no extra access outside the office. But with their lack of access, they have a lot of freedom. They can report as they see fit. Their channels cannot be given a d-notice. They cannot be censored. They are not beholden to station command, and can't be fired by the captain of head of personnel. The only legal recourse to stop the reporting of a freelance journalist is by having Central Command grant the authority to dunk on them, just like we have to ask CC to legally dunk on merchants. Otherwise, it is very easy to punish an annoying freelance journalist by simply not working with them. If all they do is post negative stories, then you can sideline them. Without their access they do not have the ability to get as much of a scoop as corporate journalists.
"
viewtopic.php?p=101753#p101753

How have you found the rogue Freelancers? How is the power dynamic between the freelancers and station command/security? How are corporate reporters? Have you noticed any over-arching attitudes from Corporate journalists and freelancers? Have you met any notable characters or have you had rounds/stories impacted by their presence?

Re: How Are Freelance Journalists (And Journalists in General) Going?

I see a lot of them running around. It really seems like people are enjoying the role, which is only a positive thing in my eyes. I think they're fitting, and a nice addition!
Discord: Eels! The Musical#9351
(I don't pay attention to the Aurora discord server unless pinged.)
= = =
Current Characters:
Spoiler:
Wynter Steele - Librarian/Corp Reporter - Pink Poetry Pest
Kizikh Guwan - Gardener - The Guwan Garden
Sazya Xichi - Miner - Edict-breaker, Rock-breaker
Sikaevi Suhn'Krashzkrikh - Security Officer - "Jussst call me Sssunny."
Hadiyya Nejem - Chemist - Rebel With a Beaker
Rowan "Miss" Fortune - Cargo Tech - Delightful Dreg
Beatrix Saint-Claire - Head of Personnel - Classy Crew Caretaker
Mari Tanaka - Captain - "Together, We Survive"
Ka'Akaix'Myrz C'thur - Phoron Researcher - Vivacious, Voracious Vaurca
Ka'Akaix'Daze Zo'ra - Bartender - "Hey doll, what'zz your poizzzon?"
Amadi Udoka - Medical Resident - IAC Helper
Moth-3R - AI - A literal mother-unit.
Marceline Finch - Mechatronic Engineer - 0% Social Skills, 100% Sleepy
H.A.R.P.I. - pAI - "How exciting!"
Moth - Stationbound - Hovers near the light.
Misfire - Raider/Merc - Would rather shoot the shit than shoot 'em up
Tpr. A'dab "Sphinx" El-Safin - ERT - "Salam, Aurora. Grandma is here for you."
Retired:
Spoiler:
Rafia Lakhani - Maintenance Technician - Frontier Grandma
Zizi'Azik Kuhwinla - Janitor - "Messes for Zizi?? Okay okay!"
Azulzi Sinensiz - Merchant - Treacherous Trader
Mehreen Al-Dimashqi - Chef - Human Grandma in District 6
Samirah Al-Kandari - Janitor - Big Janitor, Big Sister
Nahjiya Khayaram - Maintenance Technician - "Rrrrepublicanism is bloodshed!"
Memes
Spoiler:

Re: How Are Freelance Journalists (And Journalists in General) Going?

As with every role, there are good journalists and there are bad journalists.
With certain players being absent the number of bad journalists has taken a slight dip in the last weeks.
random quotes from random people
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Sorcflopter wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 am
The newest form I have decided to take is not a ckey, but a series of UDP requests, requests your server has to ACK and handle, that much power your server has to divert away from running ss13 for you all to tell my connection that it cant connect.

Return to “General”