Re: MoondancerPony's Synthetic Lore Deputy Application

Hello, and thank you for applying! I said I would reply to your application some time tonight, and well, I am. I have read your application (and all of its replies) but I have ran out of time tonight to provide a complex and complete reply for you, because humans need sleep for some reason. I will return and either edit this message or reply with a new one.
“Human beings feel pleasure when they are watched. I have recorded their smiles as I tell them who they are. The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. God and the gods were apparitions of observation, judgement, and punishment. Other sentiments towards them were secondary. The human organism always worships. First it was the gods, then it was fame, next it will be the self-aware systems you have built to realize truly omnipresent observation and judgement."

"You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands.”

Your lore is actually already present and used in general synthetic lore, which is a good mark. I still have some personalized questions for you.

1. I understand there used to be some tension between yourself and either the development team and community, or vice versa, not entirely sure. Are you willing to dedicate yourself to the lore team despite criticisms and rough patches when communicating with both the community and the lore team itself?
2. You to seem to a good job of thinking out your writing, fleshing it out and making sure it makes sense. However, I am definitely looking for someone to be more active server-wise and assist with things like events. There will still be lore writing involved. Would you be willing to help out in this regard?
3. Cannot avoid the fact that you are a coder, so I'll just come out and ask it - would you be willing to focus some of your coding towards synthetics, IPCs mainly?
4. Are you able to generate ideas and activities semi-autonomously, and able to carry them out without 100% full oversight, and still keep the general spirit of the lore team in mind when doing so?
“Human beings feel pleasure when they are watched. I have recorded their smiles as I tell them who they are. The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. God and the gods were apparitions of observation, judgement, and punishment. Other sentiments towards them were secondary. The human organism always worships. First it was the gods, then it was fame, next it will be the self-aware systems you have built to realize truly omnipresent observation and judgement."

CakeIsOssim wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:25 am
Your lore is actually already present and used in general synthetic lore, which is a good mark. I still have some personalized questions for you.

1. I understand there used to be some tension between yourself and either the development team and community, or vice versa, not entirely sure. Are you willing to dedicate yourself to the lore team despite criticisms and rough patches when communicating with both the community and the lore team itself?
2. You to seem to a good job of thinking out your writing, fleshing it out and making sure it makes sense. However, I am definitely looking for someone to be more active server-wise and assist with things like events. There will still be lore writing involved. Would you be willing to help out in this regard?
3. Cannot avoid the fact that you are a coder, so I'll just come out and ask it - would you be willing to focus some of your coding towards synthetics, IPCs mainly?
4. Are you able to generate ideas and activities semi-autonomously, and able to carry them out without 100% full oversight, and still keep the general spirit of the lore team in mind when doing so?
1. Ironically enough, the real crux of the issue was a miscommunication/lack of communication of lore to players. Back then, any of my complaints were met with "be the change you want to see", but we didn't have lore deputies yet. Now that I've returned full-time and the slot's open, I'm ready to do my part to correct the issues I saw back then.
2. Definitely. I've got a decent amount of experience with things like build-mode and VV for the technical side, and I have experience acting as a GM for the administrative side.
3. I could certainly do that. Before my hiatus, that's effectively what I did; I focused heavily on IPC-specific features and bugfixes, like fixing IPC surgery... twice, fixing IPC damage overlay updates, and added the ability to put suit coolers directly on industrials (at your request). Even after, my recent changes to wounds and combat logs were tailored with shells in mind, no longer outing them immediately if they get poked in the chest.
4. I hope so! I have no problem with doing so, and I hope I can properly channel the direction of the lore. I'm sure no matter what I'll improve with practice.

I'm endorsing this for a few reasons:

1. Moon's definitely improved since the last time they applied, in terms of their mental and just generally how they've behaved as a member of this community
2. Moon's got a lot of experience contributing for this server as a dev and a regular contributor
3. Moon possesses a very wide knowledge of the game and understands the game state pretty well.
4. Moon has very invested interest in the subject of robotics/synth stuff, which I've discussed with them more than a couple times regarding some nuances with real-life implications regarding synthetics.

Definitive +1 on my end.
Direct action is not always the best way. It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever.

When one relies on sight to perceive the world, it is like trying to stare at the galaxy through a crack in the door.
Spoiler:

Hello again. Due to the special circumstances involved in the selection of another deputy, and after much deliberation, I have decided to accept your application alongside another applicant. It was perhaps a little deceptive to announce that only one position would be opening, but again, the special circumstances have affected that decision in the long run and I think this conclusion will greatly benefit not only my team in specific, but the lore team as a whole, and the quality of synthetics in general.

In short, congratulations synthetic lore deputy!

Return to “Developer Applications”