[Accepted] Aqy's Unathi Application

BYOND Key: Aqy

Character Names: Eliza Blackwell, Emmy Gray, Samiya Jawdat, Shaw, Omega

How long have you been playing on Aurora: About 7-8 Months.

Species you are applying to play: Unathi

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): RGB 59, 60, 37

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: This race is interesting because of the challenge it poses to perhaps go against ethical means in order to preserve honor and pride. Although not every Unathi would do this. Many consider fighting and war to be something which is sought after, and prized, and to go against the flow of this would mean overcoming stereotypes and expectations of other Unathi, while still remaining within borders of what’s acceptable in Unathi culture. Providing both interesting role play, and again, a challenge.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: To roleplay an Unathi is similar in some aspects to certain cultures throughout our history. And this, in itself makes it different than role-playing a human in this universe. To play an Unathi, means to come from a culture in which technological advancements have happened rapidly and drastically, and to have to find a medium between tradition and advancement. There are also stereotypes which I believe have been fueled for Unathi, leading to a lot of assumptions coming from other races.

Character Name: Masakhane Ezekwesili

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs Masakhane was raised as any decent Unathi on the Plaines of Moghes had been. He showed respect, to war, the ones who fought, and his elders. He was brave, never dreading exploration, and the threats that may come. And he was intelligent, never taking on a fight he couldn’t win, choosing his battles was a strong suit for him for many years. He and his war brother had been groomed to be warriors, taught proper techniques with glaives, upon thresh-beasts; and should that fail, their bare claws until the victor was declared.

When the contact war came, Masakhane’s clan fought as War Riders under the Izweski Clan. Masakhane showed fierce determination and did his family proud. Unfortunately, the toils of war are dangerous, and victories shift back and forth; Masakhane had come to see his first loss, what would be the undoing of everything that had prepared him. One slip in the line, and the enemy flooded in, taking with them those that stood to protect their way of life, and to better Unathi as a whole; friends, mentors, fathers, and sons, gone in a fell swipe. All the training, the techniques, the bravery meant nothing while he watched the people who had moments ago been by his side, be slaughtered. He finally began to question all that he had done, the honorable kills became ruthless murder and in those moments, his mind broke. He panicked, and continued to fight out of sheer desperation that nearly cost him his life, as the enemy easily slipped behind him, his war brother was all that stood between them, and a cowering excuse for an Unathi, who had once been proud of the kills, and the honorable deaths his family incurred. His war brother defended him to the bloody end, when finally they retreated, choosing to fight another day than stay and die.

Not all minds can stand the stresses of life, while some are merely carefully balanced, only needing one push to send them down into the depths of Depression and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. All it took for Masakhane was a singular bloody loss, a passing worry to most, to send him off of the tight rope and into that pit. For years, he struggled to even go outside, fearful of what awaited him beyond the comfort of his home. His clan had all but given up on him, labeling him a coward, and a blemish. Thus, when the opportunity to escape came in the form of a contract, promising the help he needed, education, and work from the leeching corporation of NanoTrasen, the decision was easy. He left his home, the only thing that kept him sane, and the source of his heart ache and dishonor, and joined NanoTrasen, where he was once again with his War Brother, and could face the harshness of life once again.

What do you like about this character?I’ve never played a traumatized character, let alone a traumatized Unathi character. So I feel the challenge this will pose, will actually need me to understand the disorder on a realistic level, and remaining respectful about it. Beyond this, I also would like to be able to give the colder-although-not-brooding-and-edgy kinds of characters a chance, as this isn’t normally how I play my characters.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I believe I’ve improved a lot from where I’ve started out.

Notes: As I was making this, the Unathi Lore page changed, so I hope this is all still relatively accurate.

Aqy is a level-headed player with a realistic view on disorders and generally calls bullshit on over-the-top and outright ridiculous symptoms given circumstances so I have confidence that Masakhane won't be a ridiculous "Oh, here we go again" type of PTSD-ridden character. It'd also be nice to see an Unathi that's scarred by war rather than hardened. We can't all be str8 thuggin' badasses.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

With the lack of feedback I've discussed this app with Chaz_Noodles, the other person working on unathi lore. The character idea is interesting, and I trust Aqy to handle it well.

Application accepted.