Prospekt's Moderator Application.

Basic Information

Byond Account:Prospekt1559

Character Name(s): Silaris Uaekis, Odanu Adanutha, EPSiLON, Prometheus. (The rest are just junk characters that I NEVER use. If I could, I'd delete them).

AI Name(s): N/A

Preferred means of contact: Steam (Scully), Forums(Prospekt), Skype(scu11y3000/Scully).

Timezone: EST/ GMT -5

When are you on Aurora?: Around 2-3PM on weekdays after I'm done with school. It could vary sometimes though, but I'm mostly on till 9PM.

Experience I've had many experience in the field of Moderation, though not in SS13. Many have been games outside of SS13, such as Garry's mod where I was an operator for a highly populated serious RP HL2RP server; Lemonpunch. That lasted about a year before I resigned because I started getting into SS13 a lot. Most of my experience has come from other games, though I'm familiarized already with how Moderation tools work in SS13, (I'm a Wiki-Nerd).

How long have you played SS13?: About a year and a half, I started on a few servers that are most likely dead now before I came to this one and settled here.

How long have you played on Aurora: I used to play on my old account, Scu11y3000. I don't use that anymore, mainly for forgetting my password, etc. That lasted about half a year before I came back and played once again on this account.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I'd say I'm up to par on the mechanics, I made sure I read Bay's wiki a lot so that I know what I'm doing in SS13 from job to job. I don't know all of it, but I believe that I know a good quantity of the mechanics and how they run. I'm also starting to learn how to code in byond and SS13 itself.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: No I do not, though I'm pretty sure I'll catch on quick since I have plenty of experience from games outside of SS13.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: I was banned from Goonstation for a week. I was playing the role boxer and decided to challenge a man to a fight, I punched him a couple times before he pulled a razor blade on me. He stabbed me a few before I could disarm him and chase him down to medical. Then I began to stab him repetitively, thus killing him.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: It's the only free Sci-fi game that holds my interest, especially when it has the potential to harness serious roleplay servers like Aurora. I like pixelated games also, such as minecraft, etc. Games that people can build off of are something that I've always followed, such as this. It's a game that brings a lot of different kinds of developers, such as Coders, Spriters, Mappers, etc.

Why do you play on Aurora?: I play on Aurora because it was the first Heavy RP server to have a really good community, Aurora has the best non-biased staff team I've yet to see on any other SS13 servers. The players here are great with coming up with new ideas and communicating in a way that isn't just drama, drama, drama; atleast for OOC heh. The potential here is great, the way things run are very smooth which is another reason which keeps bringing me back to Aurora rather than any other server out there.

What do moderators do?: Moderators are the part of the staff team which handle player-based problems. These problems vary from, rule breakers (Griefers, etc.) to simply a player having a question. They are here to make sure things don't fall apart. From my understanding of how staff work on servers moderators are where staff begins with handling problems with players. I'd assume moderators are mostly the ones that deal with the average day-to-day issues that need to be solved. The moderating team also oversee chat, to make sure everything is PG-13, no spamming, advertising other servers, basically the simplicity of the average rules stated here in Aurora.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: What does it mean? Well, to be a moderator for Aurora means a lot really. You are the sense of protection when it comes to tedious rule-breakers. To be a moderator here means you're probably one of the most helpful and co-operative staff in SS13. Not only are they helpful and co-operative, they have a good attitude. I've yet to see anyone from this staff team break into a fit against another player. Anything problematic with a staff team is non-existent here. It'd be an awesome experiencing to be a part of this staff team as a moderator.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I want to be a moderator so I can finally get the big shot at helping around. Not only that but when I get on at dead-hour, I feel that there are more moderators needed. Because if something happens when no moderators are around or admins then it's way more tedious to find out what happened from my understandings. I've always tended to lean towards an administrative side with servers and applied for the staff team. My main reasoning for wanting to become a moderator would have to be because this server is too darn good to have those sort of people who break rules ruin roleplay for others. I'd love to help people here in Aurora, like I said you guys have the best playerbase I've seen in a while from any other server. Which is why, I'm putting my efforts into writing this moderator application today. So, I hope you consider me and I thank you for reading why I wish to become a part of this fabulous staff team.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I'd have to say one of the qualities I possess is learning not to be biased towards players. I stick towards a really strong honor-system. I believe that if you truly make a mistake, you should own up to it; it makes life more easier. I'd have to say I believe hostility should be a last resort for anyone, there's always a way to defuse a hostile situation with someone. If you keep a calm nice tone with someone you are most likely going to get a better response rather than cursing at them and insulting them and yelling garbage. That's one of the qualities I believe would help a lot to being a good moderator and I'm glad I have that mindset.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: If I'm stressed or angry, it's most likely why I'm playing this game because it just makes it all go away. If I'm insulted, I really don't care that much, words are words.

Anything Else You Want to Add: (Do not put words here)

I'd like to add that I'm thankful for your participation in reading my application. I hope you consider me to be a part of your staff team, thank you.

So, speaking a moderator, I'd have to say that being a mod can change the way you play a game alot, especially if you play to blow off steam. Because, being a mod can actually make you more stressful, and not just from dealing with insults and whatnot. Just something to consider.

Honestly if someone is insulting me I take it quite oppositely as anger. Instead I'd honestly from a player perspective let them vent off on me before they get normal again then deal with the situation at hand. But if it needs to be done now, it needs to be done now. I have my experience as a moderator and I've learned a few things. I see SS13 as a game, nothing more, nothing less. It's not something that I get worked up on, so I don't see it as a stressful game no matter the problems. I don't really see myself getting angry at all at the game or in any of my moderation experiences.

• 3 weeks later...