Sniblet - banned for 24h by peppermint96

“Please note that appeals for bans that are 24 hours or under will most likely be ignored”

Yeah, that’s fine. I’m not necessarily asking to have it repealed, I just want to talk some more. I think I look pretty bad to the staff, and I don’t want to. If it turns out staff made a mistake, that's bonus.

BYOND Key: Sniblet
Total Ban Length: 24 hours
Banning staff member's Key: peppermint96
Reason of Ban: Said “I don’t care what year it is, maybe I just don’t want some lady pulling out my dick for me.” We do not allow sexual content of any kind like this. You’ve been spoken to aboutt suggestive stuff before. Knock it off, next will likely be a perma

Reason for Appeal:

Bear in mind I’m coming RIGHT off of that round and I’m still a little upset, but I’m trying to take my time as I think this over.

So here’s the ERP rule, since I’m quite sure that this is what I’m banned for breaking:

ERP, also known as Erotic RolePlay, is not allowed on the server. While displays of romantic affection and romantic scenes are acceptable, scenes of a clearly sexual intent will be broken up. (Again, use common sense for this. Sexual tension up to a point is acceptable - sexual acts in themselves are not.)

And here’s some context:

I’m the technomancer. I kind of didn’t want to be, and it turned out to be a sucky round. I broke tcomms first thing, didn’t really get to interact with people much, had a bad gimmick where I acted like an immature idiot IC and declared myself king. An admin talked to me about that, too. Woops. I turned technomancer off a little bit after giving up to sec, I really just don’t know how to solo antag. I’m not feeling very happy at the point leading up to the ticket.

So I’m in cuffs, being processed, being talked to by an IRU shell about my villainous behavior. They tag out, and let the female warden in to get me dressed for prison. I bring up something I saw on the Security Officer page about how prisoners should ideally only be changed by officers of the same gender (female warden, male technomancer). She says no, that’s not a thing, and someone else says “it’s 2464, you’re gonna complain about having a woman do this?” or something to that effect. I say the quote in the ban reason, and the admin PM soon follows.

Someone probably has the exact ticket logs, but I don’t. Basically, Peppermint feeds me the quote and asks what it’s about – I go “oh, was that over the line, ok” – Peppermint tells me it’s really bad because minors play here – I’m balancing this conversation with talking to sec as I get put away for HuT – Peppermint says I’m getting a tempban because I’ve been talked to about this before, I ask to finish the round first, I get the ban mid-conversation with sec. Didn't really get to talk to Peppermint about what was going on, and probably couldn't have made much of a case in the moment anyway.

Alright. That’s the facts out of the way. Here’s why I think this – by which, especially, I mean the “next will likely be a perma” comment – is unfair to me.

1.      I’ve never engaged in ERP on Aurora (or any other server, if that means anything). There was and is no intent here.

2.      I used some immature phrasing in this case, like an immature idiot technomancer might have. This was not ERP. Who's getting off to that comment?

3.      The time I was talked to before, was me approaching staff to ask about how far I can go in a flirty PDA exchange with Kexi Danjuma. It wasn’t me actually breaking, or toeing the ERP line, but asking how not to. That was not ERP. It could only have touched on ERP if I hadn’t talked to staff about where the line was – what I ended up doing was "sending a pic"  of my character reading in the library and smirking over her glasses at the camera: picture some tame CG in a visual novel. (what I had in mind before the talk, and did not do, to be clear, had to be thrown out, and I'm not gonna describe what it was here at risk of getting hit again.)

I’m okay with the tempban, if talking about dicks like a middle schooler would is over the line. But I'm really very surprised if it is, and I’ll need some work (and help, probably) to reassess my sense of where the line is. Last time I was talked to, I was told that ERP is simply roleplay that’s erotic – this time, I’ve been tempbanned for something that I feel was non-erotic. Help?

I especially don’t understand why a permaban is on the table for next time. I’m not willfully disobeying anybody, and I’m not trying to get anybody’s spaceman into bed. If I make another mistake, it will genuinely be another mistake, and I probably won’t have any idea what I should have done better, if these two talks make a pattern.

I've been playing on Aurora a lot lately. It's nice to actually RP with people in my spaceman game. It's been a cool new experience.

Thank you for your time.

Well I don't have anything else to say on this. Don't tell people

"I don’t care what year it is, maybe I just don’t want some lady pulling out my dick for me.”

You have another note of going over the line. That's all from me. Appeal denied. Need to make a staff complaint justifying it if you wanna. I'll edt in some more info a bit later.

Edited by Peppermint
4 minutes ago, Sniblet said:

As I mentioned, I didn't go over the line before, and don't know where the line is now.

I was originally busy at the time and read the intent here wrong. I'm not lifting the ban as it's only 24 hours but I'll do my best to explain what the issue here was and why I can't just write it off as playground humour.

You were originally spoken to in regards to explicit content so far as I can see on your note history. It doesn't show the details of it so perhaps I'm getting confused given the wording. That's why it wasn't just a note/warning. But already seem to have blurred the line of what is ok.

The thing is, to the person you're saying not to get your dick out too, it immediately creates a situation where your character was implying theirs's was doing exactly that - attempting to undress your character for questionable purposes.

This kind of thing sticks. It doesn't matter if it's observers or other players, but this kind of stuff causes issues. People aren't going to want to interact with someone who's trying to 'get people's dicks out' or the like, yeah? It's really just the kind of thing that gets cemented onto someone's reputation in a really bad way. I do not believe you were being malicious, or attempting to do that.

If it was a question of me thinking you were actually out there attempting to put those kinds of allegations onto people, it would have been a perma ban instead - I don't, which I touched on in the ticket; that it was a 24 hour ban (the smallest we give out) due to trying to make it  clear this kind of thing is a really big no-go here.

I hope that clears it up. If you wanna, you'll need to put a staff complaint up if you still disagree.

Locking and arching for now.