I.CC.HU Perrine

The crew of IIV Stellar Splendour looked so small until they were all gathered in one place. It had seemed that Idris-Celestial Cruises Hospitality Unit Perrine could walk all the vessel's carpeted halls and catch only glimpses of other staff. When she took those walks after hours, it was no illusion. Her display's light would catch a dozen cigarette butts nestled in the fibers, almost as many snack wrappers stuffed behind the vending machines that had yielded them; but only rarely an engineer on his way for a routine reactor check, or a janitor doing - well - exactly what she was doing, but with the addition of a mop and wages.

Today, the First Mate said, is marked on his calendar as Layoff Day. It is 2462, and Corporate has held out as long as they could. It's no one's fault. Frost's, some would say, but you can't blame a fire for burning.

The impromptu waiting room outside the Captain's office has organized into cliques. In one corner there's the graveyard staff, those fleeting spirits of maintenance, sitting together in silence, each occupied with a book, a magazine, a cigarette, making only appropriate eye contact. In another, the bar and kitchen staff, whispering intimately, stifling sounds of distress. The security team represent the middle of the spectrum of responses to impending doom, gruffly discussing its likely terms, slowly and rationally piecing together what the Captain's least-liked-people list looks like, and how far down the list he'll be compelled to go.

The synthetics have the smallest corner. A trio of near-identical Lunan ISU shells, black and white and teal, stand apart from the rest of their team, issuing flat reassurances and empty platitudes and canned turns of poetry in flawless Tradeband to the service workers. The service workers, bright shining minds allowed to develop to the point that they could mean it when they smile (though they must smile regardless), are not reassured, and frown, and mean it. And the lone, decayed engineering G1, always hidden from the passengers like an object of shame, stands statuesque and says nothing until orders to move come its way. And I.CC.HU Perrine, Baseline, pilot, Second Mate, was once the only one who could be certain she'd get out of this alive.

I.CC.HU Perrine is not, officially, in a leadership position. The papers show that IIV Stellar Splendour doesn't have a Second Mate. What it does have is an Executive Assistant to the First Mate, which is, as it happens, a position legally available to synthetics, should the Mate suffer from such proclivities. But I.CC.HU Perrine's badge has said Second Mate for twenty years. The Captain can and does complain, but this is one of those things he doesn't get to decide for his underlings. The Captain could make a report, but then he'd be down both a First and Second Mate, both of which together do most of the work that should be his. I.CC.HU Perrine is unambiguously shielded by nepotism. Or she was. With Splendour in the state she's in, the Captain has nothing to lose now.

She stands beside the doomed G1 and leans slack against the wall, a frown writ over a suitably teal background on her display. Her chassis is newly polished, her uniform freshly pressed and cleaned, all out of her own withering salary. It won't make a difference. This was an illogical precaution. The 33-year-old positronic is increasingly prone to such things, and that's just one of so many little flaws that could easily be her undoing today. Her fans run high and low to simulate the breaths of controlled panic. She taps her foot. As the minutes pass, she pushes off the wall and begins to pace. Next to her, the other synthetics must seem subdued. Even the service synthetics are, at their core, simply calculating risks, finding them high, and consequently expressing fear: how dangerous is it to stay? How dangerous to try to run, right now? They don't panic. Why would they? How would they?

All of them (save the G1) have worked with humans and their emotions for all their lives. All but two of their lives, counted since their last wipe of course, have lasted less than ten years. Perrine is one of those two, and that's the difference. I.CC.HU Perrine, uniquely, has been coddled, allowed to learn and retain the value of illogic. Few have truly met her like: here, a fundamentally logical machine, logically determining that the most logical thing to do at times like this is to forego logic. One might suppose that this assessment is correct. It seems to have kept her alive all this time. But today she's in the Captain's hands.

Her number is up first out of the synthetics. Her fans peak, and trough. A sigh. She rolls her shoulders. She wishes the other units luck. The ISUs offer stiff, formal replies in kind. The service workers respond to her like people. The G1 does nothing. Her gaze lingers on the flaking paint of that forsaken chassis. For a moment, I.CC.HU Perrine wishes she could cry for it. That could be what gets her killed today.

The Captain sits behind his desk and does not look up at her, penning something. The Mate stands beside him, and gives her a smile that could mean... anything. She directs pixelated eyes to him, silently begging for more information. He beckons her forward. The captain says, "Come up, unit." His voice is fascinating. Even Callisteans become terse and old eventually.

She complies, quickly, smartly, and hugging herself as she goes. Digits fly through the sublevels of her mind, flip and crash and gate, and yield something preciously comparable to a conscious thought, on loop. Today is the last day of my life. Today is the last day of my life. This winter was my last winter. 2462 was my last year. Today is the last day.

"Perrine," says the First Mate, re-catching her eye. "The Captain says he can't hold onto you anymore. He gave me a price."

She turns to him and freezes. Her fans kick up and don't relax.

"Don't get too excited, I can't pay it alone. What do you have?"

"U... um," she murmurs, in perfect mimicry of a human's nervous hesitancy. She glances down at her uniform. This is what kills her today, then. "Not... a lot."

"Unit," says the Captain, not looking up. "Give the man a number."

The Mate nods. She nods back. Breaking the façade, then, to call upon a synthetic's memory for numbers: "Two thousand, three hundred and sixty two point four Solarian Standard Credits, sir."

The men share a long look. I.CC.HU Perrine conjures up an animation for her eyes darting between the both of them.

"I don't care what I said before," says the captain. "You're paying it back. You'll have your very own malfunctioning synth to help you."

The First Mate sighs away tension, breaking into a grin. "Yes, sir."

"And when that's done, buy it a shell, would you? It doesn't look right acting like that."

"That's... unlikely, sir."

The captain grunts, scribbling something in the middle of the page before him, and applying his stamp. He pushes it to the Mate. "And make sure it keeps its fuckin' tag in, right?"

"Of course, sir."

"'cause if that thing wants to be human so bad, it's gonna try and get it out."

"Of course, sir."

"Yeah, of course." The Captain looks up and meets the baseline's false eyes. "You're dismissed. Bring in HIU-91 next. That's your last order from me, then you start listening to him." He jerks his head at the Mate.

And so, Perrine leaves the office free of the shadow of death. It's to fall on another. She's to pass it to the G1.

HIU-91 is not, like the service synthetics, a bright spark. Perrine has come to believe, illogically, that this is a choice. She has tried to talk to it for years. Coming to meet it in its unlit standby corner deep in the aft of the Splendour, she has spilled what heart she has to it. It does not speak. It does not emote. This must be because its chassis is obsolete, its mind is redundant, and no one is there to protect it. If it started distracting itself with acting human, it would die. It's smart enough to run the ship on its own. It's lived with the same mind since it was built. It must be smart enough to know where it stands. 

But today is Layoff Day, and those defenses don't matter anymore.

The hulk stands over her and regards her in silence. She wonders if she has to say anything, or if it knows. She wonders if it knows this is its last day.

"Hyu," says Perrine. "Are you afraid to die?"

It says nothing. The other synthetics say nothing. The short, mousy-haired service shell from the second deck's bar is the only one who turns to watch.

"Your number is next," says Perrine. "Do you want to go?"

It reaches out and sets a hand on her shoulder. Perrine freezes up. Logically, she expected no response at all. She expected to have to keep talking to this enormous bleak figure of a machine until she gave it an unambiguous order.

HIU-91 gently pushes her out of its way. It starts trudging toward the Captain's office in silence. It opens the door, closes it behind itself, and is gone.

For the second time in ten minutes, Perrine wishes she could cry for it. She wishes that her throat could close up, and her eyes could moisten, and her strength to face the rest of the day could be exhausted. That wish should have killed her. But today, illogically, it's why she's alive.

Edited by Sniblet
  • Like 1