Wiki Community Assistance

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

As you all know, the Loremaster is infallible, as everything he says instantly becomes canon. But myself and my team can't catch everything; often times erroneous statements or pages with incorrect or outdated information can remain unnoticed until it's brought up by someone confused by this. This is especially true during the last major overhauls, which established the lore as it currently stands; some pages may not be fully up to date to be consistent with everything else.

I occasionally prowl the wiki and purge the inconsistencies, but the process will move a lot faster if we have a place for people that see these errors to drop us a quick notification.

In this thread, please provide a link and synopsis of errors, misspellings, inconsistencies, or other mechanical problems with the wiki.

Please keep in mind that this isn't a feedback thread. If there is a page that says a reincarnated Joseph Stalin currently rules a planet of communist Dionae, it's notable here because that's inconsistent with the current lore, not because you don't like Joseph Stalin being in the lore.

OH BOY IT'S MY TIME TO SHINE. Constructive edits will continue to come. I'm so hyped for this I have to post a placeholder. Feel free to edit my posts and strike out what's been changed. I suppose I'll only point out what is most jarring to me. Anything that can be handwaved as inferior style I won't mention, because there's a lot of that.

1) Adhomai. Not Ahdomai.

• Tajara page - "Additional information: Ahdomai"
  • Adhomai page - "Ahdomai (major planet designation 1345 Adhomai)" as well as the page's title.

2) General quality of writing on the Skrell page.

• "Skrellian skin looks gelatinous but in fact has a second layer of a less translucent flesh under the surface, their skin secretes a slightly sticky mucus when frightened or in a dangerous situation, similar to the humans adrenal boost, only it helps sooth the Skrell and prepare for death, rather than attempting to fight or flee, this does not however mean Skrell will not fight, but it does mean they can be at peace if they choose not to, this is likely a leftover function from the Skrell’s many years of being prey on their home planet, the mucus itself is dangerous to ingest, even in small quantities, meaning if a group of ancient Skrell were caught by a predator, the first to be eaten, would ensure the others survival, or at least give them a chance; however it is not deadly and only causes nausea and digestive issues that wear off a few hours after ingestion," - this is an entire run-on sentence with numerous grammatical mistakes underlined.
  • "Jargon IV(Qerrbalak)" - no space between IV and the bracket.
  • "instead need to wear Skrell Hardsuits helmets" - needless capitalisation, unclear plurality.
  • "helmets (found in EVA) their head tails also make" - run-on sentence.
  • "However Skrell can wear normal Hardsuits" - needless capitalisation, needs a comma after 'However'.
  • "Due to their herbivore nature"/" the source of their amphibian nature"/"Due to their herbivorous nature"/"Due to the nature of their digestive system" - jarring repetition.
  • "call a nose is infact" - 'infact' is not a word.
  • "Earth born Salamander" - needless capitalisation, could do with a hyphen between 'Earth' and 'born'.
  • "the Skrell bare tentacles. These tentacles have no real muscle tissue in them and cannot be controlled, instead they hang down over a Skrell’s shoulders and tend to keep the area between the neck and tentacle damp for the incubating of eggs, Nanotrasen discourages this practice aboard it’s vessels however, and says that any Skrell eggs should be kept in a bucket of water." - run-on sentence with numerous grammatical mistakes underlined.
  • "The tentacles only other real use" - needs an apostrophe after 'tentacles' to indicate plurality.
  • "chains, plates anything that can be used" - needs a comma after plates.
  • "Due to a lack of sexual organs the Skrell do not procreate as many other species do, and instead the eggs are laid by the female and fertilized by the male, the females can lay anywhere between 5-50 eggs and this has caused the Skrell to seek out other planets with similar features to their homeworld Jargon IV(Qerrbalak), as warm and humid environments are the habitats Skrell eggs are best raised in." - run-on sentence.
  • "The Skrell brain was not compatible with Nanotrasen neural devices as soon as Skrell started to work aboard Nanotrasen installations, and instead Nanotrasen started a project that took five years to complete, editing their Neural tech to fit almost all brain types, although the project set Nanotrasen back nearly Five billion credits for research and production, the Nanotrasen investors saw it fit to edit the devices to allow the Skrell, who were at this point far more advanced than they were, access to their neural interfaces." - run-on sentence yadda yadda.
  • "meaning that English cannot" - clarification needed. Just English? What about Tau Ceti Basic and Sol Common and stuff? Do people even speak 'English' anymore?
  • "often(but not always)" - space needed between 'often' and bracket.

Man, this sure would be easier if I was loredev. c;

OH BOY IT'S MY TIME TO SHINE. Constructive edits will continue to come. I'm so hyped for this I have to post a placeholder. Feel free to edit my posts and strike out what's been changed. I suppose I'll only point out what is most jarring to me. Anything that can be handwaved as inferior style I won't mention, because there's a lot of that.

1) Adhomai. Not Ahdomai.

• Tajara page - "Additional information: Ahdomai"
  • Adhomai page - "Ahdomai (major planet designation 1345 Adhomai)" as well as the page's title.

2) General quality of writing on the Skrell page.

• "Skrellian skin looks gelatinous but in fact has a second layer of a less translucent flesh under the surface, their skin secretes a slightly sticky mucus when frightened or in a dangerous situation, similar to the humans adrenal boost, only it helps sooth the Skrell and prepare for death, rather than attempting to fight or flee, this does not however mean Skrell will not fight, but it does mean they can be at peace if they choose not to, this is likely a leftover function from the Skrell’s many years of being prey on their home planet, the mucus itself is dangerous to ingest, even in small quantities, meaning if a group of ancient Skrell were caught by a predator, the first to be eaten, would ensure the others survival, or at least give them a chance; however it is not deadly and only causes nausea and digestive issues that wear off a few hours after ingestion," - this is an entire run-on sentence with numerous grammatical mistakes underlined.
  • "Jargon IV(Qerrbalak)" - no space between IV and the bracket.
  • "instead need to wear Skrell Hardsuits helmets" - needless capitalisation, unclear plurality.
  • "helmets (found in EVA) their head tails also make" - run-on sentence.
  • "However Skrell can wear normal Hardsuits" - needless capitalisation, needs a comma after 'However'.
  • "Due to their herbivore nature"/" the source of their amphibian nature"/"Due to their herbivorous nature"/"Due to the nature of their digestive system" - jarring repetition.
  • "call a nose is infact" - 'infact' is not a word.
  • "Earth born Salamander" - needless capitalisation, could do with a hyphen between 'Earth' and 'born'.
  • "the Skrell bare tentacles. These tentacles have no real muscle tissue in them and cannot be controlled, instead they hang down over a Skrell’s shoulders and tend to keep the area between the neck and tentacle damp for the incubating of eggs, Nanotrasen discourages this practice aboard it’s vessels however, and says that any Skrell eggs should be kept in a bucket of water." - run-on sentence with numerous grammatical mistakes underlined.
  • "The tentacles only other real use" - needs an apostrophe after 'tentacles' to indicate plurality.
  • "chains, plates anything that can be used" - needs a comma after plates.
  • "Due to a lack of sexual organs the Skrell do not procreate as many other species do, and instead the eggs are laid by the female and fertilized by the male, the females can lay anywhere between 5-50 eggs and this has caused the Skrell to seek out other planets with similar features to their homeworld Jargon IV(Qerrbalak), as warm and humid environments are the habitats Skrell eggs are best raised in." - run-on sentence.
  • "The Skrell brain was not compatible with Nanotrasen neural devices as soon as Skrell started to work aboard Nanotrasen installations, and instead Nanotrasen started a project that took five years to complete, editing their Neural tech to fit almost all brain types, although the project set Nanotrasen back nearly Five billion credits for research and production, the Nanotrasen investors saw it fit to edit the devices to allow the Skrell, who were at this point far more advanced than they were, access to their neural interfaces." - run-on sentence yadda yadda.
  • "meaning that English cannot" - clarification needed. Just English? What about Tau Ceti Basic and Sol Common and stuff? Do people even speak 'English' anymore?
  • "often(but not always)" - space needed between 'often' and bracket.

Fixed

Dealing with

Not an issue

Edited by Guest

The possessive context is that the tentacles have a use (as Russians might have a dog; the Russians' dog), and there needs to be no 'action' other than the ownership. The case is genitive, not dative.

You wouldn't say 'The Russians only dog is brown". You would say 'The Russians' only dog is brown".

Hence "The tentacles only other real use is X" is wrong, and should be "The tentacles' only other real use is X".

A clarification, perhaps. The use described here can be paraphrased as a function. A function of the tentacles is to help incubate shit. Yes?

Also Gollee is correct about tentacles vs. tendrils.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

OK guys good work; I wasn't expecting heated arguments over the proper possessive and plural forms of tentacles but this is all great. The Skrell page will be looked over and these issues purged.