Obiedog's Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: obiedog

Character Name(s): Owen Conrad

AI Name(s): [/b Guardian (Not been played much but plan to play more)

Preferred means of contact: Skype, Fourm PM

Timezone: EST

When are you on Aurora?: Most nights into the dead of the night if I have nothing going on. Some days if I am not working.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: About 6 months

How long have you played on Aurora: About 3 months

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I know medical (Some of surgery), Cargo/Civilian Jobs, Some of science (Xeno), basics of security.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: No (Played around on my own local server but never on an active server.)

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Never Banned

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I enjoy the role play aspect and the detail aspect of the game.

Why do you play on Aurora?: I like the characters (players) I often play with on Aurora

What do moderators do?: They make the game enjoyable for all by handing small issues that may arise during a round to keep the burden off the administrators. This can be by answering questions and making sure that players are following the rules.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: They will monitor the above categories and make sure the role play experience on this server is at par with what this server has shown in the past.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I have always enjoyed the back end responsibility behind games like this as I like to make sure that everyone is able to have an enjoyable experience.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I have very good leadership skills while also being able to multitask allowing me to handle issues that may arise. I am also very good with server mechanics and the more technical side of things allowing me to be able to navigate a game like this easier.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I work well under stress, don't usually get angry, and tend to ignore insults.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

Since I have begun playing SS13 I have really enjoyed the game. I feel as a moderator I can help to bring the joy I have found in this game to all. I also really enjoy server moderation as I think it is a good way to expand my abilities and the abilities of others.

• 2 weeks later...

My interview with Obiedog:

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: Okay, well, first off, what do you expect the everday workload of a moderator will include?

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): I think of it as keeping a general eye on whats going on so the admins don't need to be borthered with the little things. Also answering ahelps from new players to help them along. And finally making sure that people are not ruining the RP for other players by causing trouble when they are not an antag.

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: I see. Well, I'm going to give you some hypothetical situations now, and you tell me how you would react as an moderator.

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): Okay

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: First situation: A new player joins with the character name "Vladimir Putin", a bald 30 year old assistant. Our records show their account is 2 days old. What do you do?

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): I would start with communication and say to the person that their character is offensive and see if we can work it out with having to ban the player. If they refuse and don't cooperate I would then take action as nessacary.

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: Okay, second situation: You get an ahelp from a player saying that they have been permabrigged for no reason. What do you do?

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): I would check the round logs to determine A, Who put them in the brig and B. Why they may have done it. Follwoing the information I find I would tell the player it was justfied and to try and RP there way out. If it was not justified I would talk to the security offcer that placed them in the brig and determine what the next course of action would be.

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: Okay then, and if they were brigged for breaking into a secure location, like the vault, or secure storage?

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): I would tell the player to try and handle it with RP. Therefore asking for the investigation to be looked at again and how how the legal system works. If security refuses to look into I would ask security why they gave him a permabrig. Unless it all seems justfied for say breaking into the armory

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): If the situation was that complex I would probably ask the fellow team as I am not emtirely sure what should be done.

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: Mkay, I see. Third situation: Suddenly a bunch of Modlogs appear about two guys shooting eachother. You recognize one as being a regular player, but you don't really know this player that well. It looks like they're shooting at eachother with lethal weapons, but you were in the lobby so you don't have much else information on the situation. There are no other mods or staff on at the time. Go.

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): Honestly not fully sure what to do on that one. Try to figure out whats going on... but by the time I do that someone may be dead. I would also check if either is an antag.

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: Neither appear to be an antag.

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): I am really not sure what a moderator should do in that situation. I feel it is hard to take action as you don't know what's going on.

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: Also, all of these situations are designed to be open ended. There is no right or wrong answer here, it's mostly about learning about your thought processes.

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): I guess I would ask the players what they are doing since they are not an antag. Based on what they tell me I would take action.

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: Okay, and if they say their two characters have had a long standing IC conflict for several round, and that this round was the final straw for both of them, so they decided to then have a dual to the death.

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): Point of information are conflicts spanning multiple rounds allowed?

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: As long as it doesn't violate canon, isn't literally kill each other on sight, and is agreed upon by both players.

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): Well then I guess if both players are agreeing to a duel it would be up to the station's security to handle the charges.

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: Okay, last situation: A player adminhelps that another player, one you know well but have never had to deal with as a moderator, is powergaming. A quick check on them reveals that they, as a non-security role (such as either a quartermaster, scientist, or doctor), have managed to arm themselves heavy using the most powerful weapons they could have legitamately aquired in that job (such as a powered crossbow as a quartermaster, a polyacid syringe gun as a doctor, or a laser canon as a scientist), and is currently in a firefight with the nuke team. They are winning. What do you do.

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): I feel that situation is ruining the RP to the point that it takes imediate action given that the ahelp is indeed true.

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: So what do you do about it?

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): Not fully sure what a mod can do in that situation. I don't know if kicking the player would be appropritate...

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: Okay, then, we're more or less set then. Theis interview and it's contents will not be shared with anyone outside the administration staff within your consent. Do you want this to be made public avaliable for review by the general community on your application, or just to administration for their review?

Player PM from-Obiedog/(Owen Conrad)(?): It can be public I don't mind.

Moderator PM to-Obiedog: Okay, it will be released and posted on your application shortly, once all other interviews with the other applicants have been completed.

• 1 month later...