Jboy's Unathi App

BYOND Key: Jboy2000000

Character Names: Number Eighty-Two, Poslan Kur'yer, Emily O'Harron, Ida Cox, Issek Boyd, Miracle Kifer, Jackson Sullivan, Alisa Keener, Faith Hawkins, Rozhad Alakiv, Candace Grey, Ser Knyght, Diler Zakon, and a few other characters that I haven't played since 2014.

Species you are applying to play: Unathi

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Sandy Yellow

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I am so close to being an Aurora MasterIm still looking to expand and better my writing and roleplaying. I plan for this Unathi to be different from most, so I hope that the combination of a new species, and this one being against a general trope that Unathi usually have will help. Beside that, theres also a bit of a stigma against Unathi, I think at least, where people see Unathi as brooding asshats who will beat people at the drop of a hat (the fact thats actually happened before aside), so I hope maybe I can provide against that, and help myself along the way.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Unathi are, all physical things aside, more coarse than humans. Including their physical aspects of them being giant lizards who are taller and stronger then humans, they are also humans in the sense that they live under a very different code of honour, and show their emotions much differently. Also, while not exactly technophobic, they do seem to have a dislike for anything outside their norms, like ranged weapons, so it'd be interesting to see if theres anything I can find that would seem unnatural to an Unathi.

Character Name: So'Kea Slijep

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs He was hatched during the contact wars. More specifically, he hatched during the nuclear exchange between the Collation and the Izweski Nation. The first and last thing he ever saw was a nuclear blast, leaving him blind at birth. The nuclear blast he saw wiped out a good amount of whatever clan used to be there, leaving him alone, and whoever else survived to limp away and start again. He was found later by a clan of the Collation, with no living clan members known, they decided to give him a new name, and start a clan his own. He did accept it, but being blind, he already made the choice to partake in Guwandi when he could. So when he turned 18, he walked out into the dessert to die.

He didn't die though, he managed to survive a year on his own, listening to stories and making peace with his gods. Being blind, he of course was not as skilled or advantaged as those who weren't, but he was smart enough to figure something out. He would be at advantage if he could blind the other Unathi, since he'd lived with being blind for his whole life. Either by kicking sound and slashing their eyes, he'd be able to get an advantage, and live. After he managed to survive a year, he decided that he may not being a great warrior able to lead his clan by strength, he could live, but he promised to take no wife or children, since he was unable to fight for his clan. Instead he turned to being a Shamen, helping others with what he meditated on in the dessert. He only left Moghes to help those who left Moghes before him, giving spiritual aid.

What do you like about this character? Ive seen only one other Unathi Shamen, and they seem to have fun, and Ive also never seen an Unathi being blind before, and Ive never actually RPed blindness myself, so, all that and the fact I made this to improve myself, makes me like this a whole lot.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? 8/10

Notes: 31JUL, 21AUG, 29SEP, 29DEC

Edited by Guest
Guest Marlon Phoenix
Why would a research company hire a blind employee? That is just so illogical.

I tried to do a search on blindness in the fields of research and medicine, since this whitelist application is going to set a precedent. It is an abnormality, but there are cases:

"There are only a handful of blind doctors in this country."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7318398/ns/health-health_care/t/blind-medical-student-earns-md/

And I found this gem:

http://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/23421/which-problems-would-a-blind-person-have-when-applying-for-a-professorship

"This was motivated by thinking on the russian and blind mathematician Lev Poyntriagin who made important work in topological groups and control theory."

However, we have to consider one thing:

Unless I abhorrently misinterpreted the intentions of the OP, I don't think this shaman will be acting in the role of a scientist, or Command/security/engineering level jobs where sight is a major factor in the job.

Unathi shamans are spiritual teachers and help unathi communicate and connect with their ancestors, while providing guidance for their general life problems. They can also act as teachers, doctors, community leaders, and other roles - a small village revolves around its shaman. But their qualifications are, to use a simple analogy, "ghetto". I can see this character being a chaplain or counselor with no object. A nursing intern or doctor would have to have some further thought, and probably an experimental dabble to see how it goes.

So far the only hard qualification that can't be subverted is that the character can understand Tau Ceti Basic, and can communicate either through it or Tau Ceti Sign Language. Blindness is something I haven't seen before, and I'm curious about how Jboy goes about it.

Will you use the organ toggler to remove the eyes? I don't know if that makes you blind; otherwise you'd have to RP it or go into a quiet corner and stab yourself repeatedly in the eyeballs at round-start to get rid of your vision. (Don't do that last one)

I've had the pleasure of RPing with at least two of JBoy's characters. Both Emily O'Harron and Alisa Keener were interesting characters to interact with. I have not RP'ed with Jboy in some time, but if he's anywhere near as good as I remember, he can handle an Unathi whitelist.

I fully endorse this application.

+1.

JBOY, can you tell me what occupation your character will be taking?

Instead he turned to being a Shamen, helping others with what he meditated on in the dessert. ... giving spiritual aid.

...Ive seen only one other Unathi Shamen...

Probably a Chaplain or Counselor role.

I would love to see this in action. I have loved jboys previous characters and would love to see this character on station. To RP a blind character will really push him and I love seeing people pushed to their limits. It's exciting and stretches and helps people grow.

+1