Mikalhvi's IPC Whitelist Application

BYOND Key: Mikalhvi

Character Names: Kelle Ducote, Geniveve Allegri, Mikari Vance, Heliotrope (and a few others who are pretty much inactive - best known for the now deceased Brenna Noton)

Species you are applying to play: Integrated Positronic Chassis

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): N/A

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes, I have.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: While I would ultimately like to some day gain whitelist approval for all alien races, I would like to first start off with an IPC. I feel the role is a little more forgiving to someone who isn't used to playing anything other than human or human-like characters, as our current IPCs vary greatly in their make, model, and level of 'organic' personality. Specifically why I want to play an Integrated Positronic Chassis? While reading the Aurora wikipage, I spotted Uplifts. I have always heard it theorized that the majority of species of octopus, if they were able to live as long as a human did, would have society and culture similar to humans... Therefore, I would like to explore that possibility, with an Uplift IPC.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Assuming my request to play an Uplift class IPC is granted, it would be very interesting to try out how I think an octopus that was turned into a robot would act, react, and respond to a variety of situations. It would also be interesting to see what sort of job they managed to fit themselves into, but for now I anticipate starting them off as an assistant for a few rounds, just to get a feel for them as a character. Even if I do not get to play an Uplift, an IPC is the ultimate blank slate (in my opinion) for a character, as they can have as little or as much personality as you give them based on backstory, type and programming. They may come across as 'cold' by human standards... but they are, in their own ways, fun to play as. You don't need to respond to situations in a 'predictable' manner... and there's really no reason to empathize or 'play nice' when someone whines over trivial things; It's pointless, and not part of the programming. Unless you play a hospitality-oriented IPC...

Character Name: Mesecothera "Mesco" Zaal

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Mesecothera was part of a batch experiment involving Uplifts and cephalopods; six types of octopi were selected for the experiment, ten of each variety chosen. Of the sixty different octopi, only five - one of which being a member of the breed Enteroctopus dofleini (giant Pacific octopus) survived. That particular one was Mesecothera, whose first words upon getting the hang of his new vocal capabilities, were to demand a large quantity of raw shrimp, and to repeatedly state "Mesecothera" when their batch-experiment name, "ED-M05", was used to address him. Though Mesecothera's new, and much larger synthetic body was unable to actually ingest the shrimp, despite having this explained to him several times, the former cephalopod would not answer the research questions or cooperate with the study until the shrimp were presented. Upon their arrival, Mesecothera stuffed them into a hollow cavity in the chest of his robotic chassis, then cooperated with the researchers.

While the experiment was considered a success, and contained much potential in regards to the Uplifting of already-intelligent Earth animals, the plug was ultimately pulled on the lab's funds. Research dwindled, most of the unused IPC chassis were sold off (after the octopode guts were scrubbed out thoroughly) and eventually, the five 'survivors' were told there was only one thing left they could do; Go out and get jobs. Try to fit in to the rest of the galaxy. As they were sentient, the research labs weren't allowed to terminate the lives they'd altered into inorganic forms... So, Mesecothera was left alone in a large galaxy, confused and with an obsession for the life he had been robbed of. He went on to be arrested once for the theft of roughly 2000 credits' worth of aquarium goods (live corals and seaweed mostly) due to his lack of understanding on how stores worked. Upon the discovery that he literally had no idea that he'd done something illegal and hadn't a clue how the economy worked, as well as what money was, Mesecothera was declared a ward of the Republic of Biesel, until such time as he was considered 'fit for society'. As there were no real systems in place for the re-education of 'defective' IPCs, and the former octopus had been 'active' less than a year as a synthetic, he was shuffled about in the foster care system, ultimately being repeatedly sent back many a time, those who fostered him 'weirded out' from the sheer fact of his un-relatable mannerisms - to say nothing of the fact they expected an organic species' child, not a synthetic as tall as an adult. The last foster family he was sent to, Mesecothera ended up with an employee of Nanotrasen; one who worked on a space station, in particular - they had seen IPCs before, worked with them, and were willing to give him a chance. The intelligent Uplift, having finally landed with those who would benefit him, learned quickly and was ultimately released from the foster-care program. He chose to stay with the foster family - who gladly took him in as a 'son' of sorts, granting him their last name (Zaal) and what little rights they could obtain for him, as the adoption of IPCs was not normally something that happened. He sought employment with Nanotrasen as well, as soon as he was ready... and the rest, as they say, is history.

What do you like about this character? The first thing I like about the character is his unique background. Mesco was an experiment - and this is still reflected in many of his mannerisms, his way of thinking... and his chassis, as well (though this will be flavor-text only). Mesecothera thinks of his own 'needs' first, and sees no fault in this - it is the way of ocean life to either hunt or be hunted. While no means an apex predator when he was organic, Mesco's strong survival instincts have been carried over to his synthetic form. He has a fascination with human weapons in general (he had no need for weapons as an organic creature) and most forms of cultural evolution in general. While not exactly knowledgeable in most intergalactic history, Mesecothera is incredibly intelligent; Were he able to be tested by human standards, his IQ could quite easily rival that of some of the galaxy's leading scientists. Mesco doesn't exactly 'get' humor or sarcasm, as they are not things he grew up with, but he does understand the biological needs organics have, and will accommodate them as needed, sometimes even 'playing along' at fulfilling that need, to keep organics comfortable. He still seems to have a thing for live corals and shrimp, as well.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I would rate my RP skills as being "intermediate". I've been RPing in a variety of environments since at least age 13 or so - I'm 24 now. I've RPed on Gaia Online, in private message forums, through Skype, IMVU, Second Life and even MMOs such as World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn. I've had an on-again, off-again history with Aurora... but with something other than a human to expend my creativity on, I'm confident this time, I'll stick around for longer. I can easily be a paragraph RPer, or rattle off a few lines of action and dialog in a hurry - I try to adapt what others around me are doing. And I also don't waste time clogging up posts with superfluous "Her eyes were two sapphire pools of sight, deep and mysterious as the bottom of a well," over-flavored text just to sound clever.

TL;DR version - I'm not the worst, but you'd be hard pressed to find better than me on short notice.

Notes:

Edited by Guest