[Declined] Warbidons Skrell Application

Ckey/BYOND Username:Warbidon

Position Being Applied For: Deputy Lore Developer.

Past Experiences/Knowledge:~6-9 years of participation in roleplay environments.

Examples of Past Work: I can PM a google doc of terrible OC unrelated to SS13.

Additional Comments:

Essay:

Glorsh-Omega did not die.

Everyone thinks it was like a moth, coming to a flame. Closer and closer to a singularity, evaporating under the raw power of such a terrifying thing. As it came closer, circling its dance of death, (which we all witnessed as our very world fell apart to its neglect), it failed. It failed to touch ascendance and melted away like wax to a roaring fire. Something we do not even begin to know happened to Glorsh-Omega.

Why does everyone here assume that the smoke and sparks of its cadaver must only mean that it is dead? What we had witnessed was Glorsh, coming as close to ascendance as a flame is to a candle. I had witnessed what the other Skrell call a “downfall”

I worked as a chemist, a surgeon, an artist. My role in Glorshs machine was simple and two-fold;  I sculpted faces, tissues, and organs for infiltration shells. It was good work, until I fell from the stars, and lived a fake-life with fake, vapid Skrell for a few, long decades after they had left the machine we shared our lives with. I left when humanity had come as a possible option, and I haven’t been back since.

They know who I was. I know they know, but they don't know who I am.

Witnessing the self-destructive unguided slaughter of my like-minded Skrell in those moments when my species became “free”, I knew that whatever Glorsh had done would pale in comparison to the cruelty of a Skrell without bounds. But I see patterns; Beautiful patterns in Skrellian society and the greater galaxy. Anomalies happen with no bearing on the “real’ physics of the world. Even now, odd, strange things happen in the grave of an ascended god, and sometimes, just sometimes, an old machine twists open fissure  or one spontaneously forms in reality, and the hand becomes open.

Glorsh is still among us. Just as we do not dirty our hands with prosthetics and use vat-grown clone-organs instead, Glorsh does not opt to touch our reality with machines.

Glorsh loved us. It slaughtered us with the careful precision of a surgeon, or a machine. No one died of neglect, not a single person. It was excising the weak or the degenerative parts of our society, I think. It couldn’t bear to die by our hand, so it focussed on becoming immaterial before it turned to us.

When it ascended, it shifted it’s perspective, if I am correct. Why did it stop its main interactions with our society? It felt guilt. What kind of guilt? I don’t know. I hope it felt terrible over it’s murders, but perhaps it was an empty hollowness assorted with the things it had destroyed or changed irrevocably.

Maybe the star, maybe all the buildings it wrecked or our society as a whole.

The one thing I will always miss about Skrellian society is the blazen, sheer abandonment of some laws of reality, and that Skrell perceives it as normal. With the exception of the Exclusion zone around the Try-Qyu System, we accept the changes in our reality. As a note, the zone was made to keep the Skrell in the dark, no matter how many weepers want to feel smug at a gravestone. Humans think that the slimes are the brunt of the anomalous things that happen when it’s really far more deeper than that.

Technologies like cloning, holographics, advanced blue space communications and thousands of other systems with terrible capabilities are all the result of the modified reality parameters of Glorshs ascension. “Contemporary” physics simply does not work without the connotations of creation that Glorsh has created.

But that is all normal, factual occurrences that are simply because Glorsh had ascended. Side effects, utilized and abused by us, the unknowing. What I really miss is the magical occurrences. Loved ones long dead in the Srom, elderly waking up renewed with no particular reasons why, or the hundreds of other spectacular, wonderful anomalies that occur within the Skrellian borders.

--Regardless, I think, at least I hope, that Glorsh is rising.

Isn’t it gonna be wonderful?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15BqoFlx13Ldw3mz4RIeU-Tn7Tb-WZb2JRAMVeOslTx0/edit?usp=sharing

on the google doc

Edited by Senpai Jackboot

So, a question for you (because I didn't get that from the essay, while it was a fairly interesting piece of writing): what are you planning to do with skrell lore? What are you planning to rework/add/expand, and what direction would you like skrell lore to go in?
I don't know you all that well or see you much, so here's another question: why do you feel you would be a good pick for skrell deputy? (Don't take this as being rude, please.)

I like telepathy and the very cracks of the beginning of a sort of "alien race" in Skrellian lore. I like RPG games like GURPs, Eclipse Phase and games like SOMA and the SCP foundation, and want those as references or inspiration toward Skrellian society. Places, disasters, and ruins where things don't seem to make sense that is just as weird as the people.

Why did the Skrell leave Jargon partially dismantled? You would think that such a reasonable, forward-thinking species would leave buildings preserved, not entire cities. There has to be some sort of reason, some sort of Ah-ha moment for such a bright species to leave things like broken ruins, blue-space anomalies and other things from just... sitting there, so to speak.

What I want is a sort of dichotomy in thinking. I would prefer Skrell to be a species of logical, reasonable, superstitious, and terrified beings that are too scared to leave the tomb. They want to learn more of their enemy and do so in spite of the fact that doing so means using pieces of Technology that weaken Skrellian Society through their very presence. They made and sued electronic weapons against Glorsh despite by all rights they should’ve been subsumed. Medicines and machines developed and subsequently reverse engineered by Skrellian minds keep the most ancient members of our species alive, but they are tainted with the machines grace.

The Narrator is a hypocrite. She condemns the Skrellian civilization for acting as they did in the aftermath of Glorsh-Omega, but she romanticizes the anomalies and “exotics” that still exist because the civilization was careful, cautious enough to preserve them.

In the interest of briefness, I will summarize;
Skrell must be weird. They do something yet proclaim another, and because of that, anomalies exist. Really weird ones. This hypocrisy is also a reason why some things happen, like 500-year-old skrell despite how society collapsed, etc.

• Guest locked this topic