Questions About Gasses and Heat

NG+7 Gael

Question

Hey, so I've got a few questions about gasses, units, and heat-related things for Aurora, mostly related to tank transfer valves but also others forms of transfer.

1. Do gasses such as Tritium, Hyper-Noblium, and BZ exist on Aurora, do they function similarly to other servers, and are they made in the same way if they do?

2. Is there any way to check mol count with ingame methods, or calculate it? How important are mols when it comes to heat transfer, compared to something like pressure?

3. How is the combined temperature of two gasses mixing calculated? Is it based on the amount of mols or pressure of each gas? How does that relate to the temperature of each individual gas?

4. Less importantly as it's easier to test but, are explosion sizes based on mol count or simply pressure count? So, should you be packing in as many mols of each gas as possible- supercooled oxygen with phoron at just the right temperature to get as much out of it as possible, based on mol count, or simply packing in as much pressure as possible with extreme heat? This works differently on different servers so it's kinda hard to tell. I can test this myself though, and plan to, I'm just wondering on the code-side of things, how is it supposed to function, and which way can you theoretically get the absolute most out of it?

Edited by NG+7 Gael

5 answers to this question

To answer your questions:

1. No they don’t exist. 

2-4. You need to manually calculate the mols and everything relies on it, not just pressure. You can have extremely high pressure with high heat, but extremely dense cold gas will quickly rectify this. Denser gas at flashpoint is more efficient than crazy high heat with barely any actual substance. 

EDIT: This is my personal experience without referring to any code. If it turns out to be incorrect I am just dumb I guess. 

Sorry, I was at work. You can calculate the number of moles in a canister using the ideal gas law. I've gone ahead and put the explanation in a spoiler as it's quite long. 

Spoiler

PV = nRT

P = Pressure

V = Volume

n = moles of gas

R = Universal Gas Constant

T = Temperature

Let’s do an example. A single canister of Nitrogen Gas (N2) ingame has values as follows:

P = 4559.6 kPa

V = 1000 L (This can be determined only through varedit or viewing the code. I suppose you could calculate it too, but that's for plebs. Here is proof if you'd like though)

n = x moles

R = 8.314425525 L*kPa/mol*K (I've gone ahead and saved you the trouble of conversion here. This number will suffice for the units used in ss13)

T = 293.15 K

So we rearrange our equation to get: n = PV/RT, and plugging in our numbers, we get:

(4559.6 kPa)(1000 L)/(8.314425525 L*kPa/mol*K)*293.15 K) = 1870.70194986 mol

We can go ahead and just simplify this to 1870.71 moles N2, which if we inspect the canister using varedit, we can see is correct.

Now obviously this is a little bit annoying to do in-game, so if you are lazy, I recommend using a calculator to do it for you quickly.

To answer your second question, simply put, no. I'm afraid it is a bit beyond my abilities to explain this, though to be honest, you can eyeball most things in ss13 and be fine. For the purposes of toxins bomb making, simply getting your phoron to flashpoint and filling a canister to the maximum allowed, then filling a canister with as much oxygen at as low a temperature as possible will provide you with the largest explosion. 

EDIT: I've gone ahead and experimented with the problem you posed. As you can see, the results are not additive. Posted below.

Spoiler

Gas 1:

200 moles O2

-200 C

121.5 kPa

Gas 2:

200 moles N2

600 C

1451.2 kPa

Mixed Gas 1 & Gas 2:

200 Moles O2 + 200 Moles N2

200 C

1572.7 kPa

I actually made a mistake while explaining this. You want it to be at flashpoint AFTER mixing, yes. So it's a bit of a careful balance to find the optimal gas mix. I've also been told that the ratio matters, though I have not experimented much with it myself except for a few basic tests. 

It is however true that you want as many moles as possible (more fuel for the explosion), so a cooler mix will end up being more destructive, as you can pack more into it (rather than EXTREMELY high heat with little actual gas behind it). As long as you hit the magic number you're good. The wiki guide tells you what you should aim for I believe. 

Ah, that's unfortunate. Any specific reason why they're not on Aurora? I'm not too familiar with them but woulda liked to mess with them. And alright, so how are mols calculated then, if there's no way to check ingame? Also, when it comes to mols and temperature transfer, would an equal amount of mols of highly heated gas and extremely dense cold gas simply be additive? So, 100mol of 600c phoron combined with 100mol of -200c oxygen would come out as 400c? What are the calculations on this?

Edited by NG+7 Gael

Right- thank you again, much so. Very useful information, hopefully I can put it to good use. One question though, on the flash point- the goal is to hit the flashpoint while also packing in as many mols of each gas as possible, correct? But from what you said it sounds like you'd only want to get phoron to flashpoint temperature with as many mols as possible... wouldn't that cause it to NOT explode though? Don't you need to be at flashpoint AFTER the oxygen and phoron combine when the valve opens? That's what I thought, anyways, so correct me if I'm wrong.