Schmuck Lord's Unathi Application [Accepted]

BYOND Key: Schmuck Lord

Character Names: Joseph Lock, Edward Carja, Leslie Zimmerman, The Observer

Species you are applying to play: Unathi

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: A nice dull gray with maybe some brighter white highlights

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yep

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

Well if I'm being frank I have two reasons for wanting to play the Unathi race. The first is pretty simple, its a racial archetype I've never done and have never explored since playing SS13. A reptilian psychology with a rich history of honor-bound caste based culture and tradition has reached its point of appeal with me. I want to be able too walk through the Aurora living by a code of Honor that comes from the old ways of my culture and the blood spilled in their name instead of some abstracted ideals of a nation-state like Sol or Elyra. The second reason and what I find to be the more funny reason is to make an Unathi Character who is too a degree against those concepts, and looked down upon for pretending or failing to follow them. All up until the moment of truth where he throws sand in his opponents eyes and proceeds to win with a cheap shot. Specifically an Optikam Aut'akh, more on that later.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: 

The Unathi as a species unlike humanity are predisposed to displays of their culture. This culture primarily manifesting in the form of their honor code. This makes them defensive, territorial even along with a huge sense of pride that while can be seen in some humans, lack the necessary aggression and straight-forward thinking of an Unathi. Furthermore, their whole physiology makes displays of anger, comfort,  and sadness all much more visible than the subtle expressions a human might have. As a human I may squint daggers at you when I'm upset, but as an Unathi I'll thump my tail, so on so forth. The dispalys are more visible, indicative of their more direct psychology when it comes to dealing with problems and merely existing.

Character Name: Optikam Rakth

Please provide a short backstory for this character Rakth like many others joined the commune after its founding, for him it was around the age of 21. Before then like many other youthful Unathi of his age, he was a hopeful, attempting to join the ranks of heroes and adventurers that were able to call themselves Kataphracts in Izweski society. In those times he was known as S'rrazki Golv-Yunka, a member of a minor clan that while not well known within the Hegemony, produced fine scholars and warriors and he planned to be one of them. For a time he was a dutiful and honorable hopeful, shadowing a great hero of his clan with two others, They traveled, hunting Threshbeasts and other creatures along the mountainous coasts of the Tza sea. At the time, S'rrazki had realized something about his adventure and his standing in the eyes of the hero he was following. The other hopefuls were better than him, not by much, but enough for him to begin being thrown to the wayside. This burned a hot coal into his heart, he grew hot-headed, bitter, even resentful of his companions.

It didn't take long before honor was besmirched among the group and duels were had. S'rrazki had killed another hopeful after he was already defeated, refusing him mercy when he was already dying in the ground, attempting to recover. It wasn't long before they returned to their village and S'rrazki was exiled, the title of Guwan forced upon him by his kin. Filled with hate in his heart, he thought the only reasonable thing left to do was to attempt to regain his status elsewhere. While he had thought to make his way to Skalamar and to prove himself into becoming a member of the Hegemony's Guwan Guard, that never happened. Instead he happened upon the Aut'akh of an Exile Convoy, soon to be an Exile Fleet. They were friendly to him, peaceable and welcoming despite his history. This softened his soul and before long he joined the commune, taking the name of Ratkh and throwing off the title of Guwan that he had hated so much. Even as they fled, Ratkh still maintained a proclivity toward battle, joining Clan Optikam and attempting to become a warrior once again. He never got the chance to see the Polar Bunkers, much less do battle with the Hegemony forces that were blockading the home he was denied.

So instead, along with the rest of the Exile Fleet, he made his way to Tau Ceti and settled in New Gibson, working off the debt his new people had earned and attempting to find his own peace within worship of the Oss. Though he still harbors resentment and a fighting spirit he has grown enough to know there is a time to wait and lick your wounds and then there is a time to make war on the people that may have wrong you. Now Optikam Ratkh is a simple custodian aboard the N.S.S Aurora, silently biding his time until he may yet become the warrior that he had always wanted to be. He has since applied toward the Cadet program sponsored by NanoTrasen with no immediate response, if they ever approve the request of this cunning Unathi, surely they will reap whatever consequences or reward may come of it.

What do you like about this character?

Well, as I noted earlier, I liked the idea of applying a race with all these ideals and codes and a sense of Gilgamesh style justice and then just turning it all on his head. Optikam Ratkh is by all intents and purposes dishonorable scum by Unathi standards. Even though he had found purpose in the Oss and with the cause of the Aut'akh, he had joined them originally to get another chance at his  long time dream. He was in the right place at the right time, otherwise he would simply be a Guwandi wandering Moghes for the rest of his life. The best part about it all is that due to his own Unathi sense of honor and right, he doesn't believe he did anything wrong! Despite the fact that he clearly has. I'm excited to see how he pans out with the other Unathi aboard the Aurora much less other Aut'akh if this app is approved.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

A solid 8/10, always room for improvement and playing alien species will hopefully grant me that chance at improvement.

Notes:

Edited by Marlon Phoenix
Guest Marlon Phoenix

You say you have had no interest in reptiles outside ss13 yet your avatar is a cool reptile looking monster....

Your application is very solid. There is a minor hiccup in that you say Rakth became Guwandi after being exiled. The circumstances of his exile would make him a Guwan. In this situation, if Ratkh became Guwandi it would mean that he felt such a visceral sorrow and grief for what he had just done that he felt the only method of redemption was clearing his name by losing and dying in honorable combat. The title of Guwan is forced upon someone, and it makes them an Untouchable.

The only major question I have is, what religion did Rakth follow, and was it the same as his clan?

Other than that, I am going to let this sit for a few more days to gather feedback.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix
3 hours ago, Marlon Phoenix said:

There is a minor hiccup in that you say Rakth became Guwandi after being exiled. The circumstances of his exile would make him a Guwan. In this situation, if Ratkh became Guwandi it would mean that he felt such a visceral sorrow and grief for what he had just done that he felt the only method of redemption was clearing his name by losing and dying in honorable combat. The title of Guwan is forced upon someone, and it makes them an Untouchable.

Ah, thats my bad with the mixup in Guwan and Guwandi, I'll correct it in the application. As far as the religion he followed, it would be the clans religion and most likely the Th'akh