There needs to be another official gamemode favorability poll, but this time we need to do something with the results.

BurgerBB

A long time ago an official poll was done. The poll itself wasn't very well made and did not gauge whether or not the game modes were actually good but rather what the worst one was. Changeling was voted worst gamemode, with wizard and ninja being second and third. A lot of people, including me, used the poll as an argument to remove changeling or seriously rework it, but people kept arguing that the poll didn't mean that people disliked ling, they just thought it was the worst gamemode, so nothing was really done about it except for a few tweaks that make it easier to get ling genomes so people can be ling without being a ling.

Given that it's almost 2020, I think another official poll should be made and it should be worded in a way that addresses the enjoyment of all gamemodes rather than "What is the worst gamemode?" as that only addresses one. The poll questions and answers need to be extremely clear to avoid anyone abusing the fucking out the language and interpreting it differently like a certain US Constitution. Before the results are in, we should promise ourselves that we wouldn't act like assholes and immediately jump to conclusions such as "people don't like this gamemode because they die often it, which means that the results shouldn't be taken seriously" or "people only like this gamemode because when they're antag, they like to abuse the mechanics, so the results shouldn't be taken seriously". I think it would also be nice if there was a promise from developers that they would at least acknowledge the results of the polls and make it some sort of priority to "fix". Last time when king was voted the worst gamemode, there was really no organization or leadership to improve it other than the 3-4 contributors who all had conflicting PRs on how to fix it, and usually all of them would be closed in the end due to disinterest or stress.

So yeah, polls are good because it allows people who are otherwise silent in heated conversations to have their say in things. I used to contribute here and 9 times out of 10 whenever "the community" (aka 2-4 people on the forums) wrote paragraphs upon paragraphs of why a suggested feature is bad and how everyone shares that opinion, it didn't actually reflect the opinion of the community. I've had people claim that 90% of the community would hate a feature but in reality it would be around 20%.