Draculabot's Head of Staff application

BYOND key: Draculabot

Character names: Akira Takeda, Marco Farerra

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: A week or two at most

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I know I can play the role.

Why did you come to Aurora?:

Because it's visual standout (the sprites are beautiful!), it's seriousness, and the fact that it's not a circus like what Baystation has turned into. There's a underline of realism despite being a non-private server and people take their roles very seriously. Extended games feel like work, antagonist games can actually evoke feelings of despair, dread, and triumph, and the characters are all mostly well rounded and have their own personalities- and the chain of command is adhered to strictly.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?:

Yes.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplay is stepping out of yourself and into the shoes of a life that you can't live. Roleplay is writing- Collaborative writing, just as the form of the stage actor is to play a single role, you as a roleplayer are tasked to write a role in an ongoing story, with rises and falls, friendships and abrupt tragedies. Roleplay is a very good way at becoming a better writer, if you don't fall too headlong into it. It's been a hobby of mine since 1996 - From the old AOL roleplaying channels to SS13 today.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

The OOC purpose of the head of staff is to manage and oversee their department, and to work closely with the other heads of staff to ensure efficiency, safety, and productivity. A head of staff such as the Head of Security has to manage those who manage the safety of the crew and imprisoned criminals, has to protect the crew from corrupt staff members and worse case, has to organize a defense against disasters, boarders, or other catastrophes.

A head of staff also has to ensure that trainees are assigned to recruits, cadets and apprentices. Each head of staff has their own duty and responsibility besides the obvious- The Captain has to delegate work to his or her commanders and chiefs, has to be the final word of authority in matters related to law, intra-station issues, and contacting central command. the head of personnel has to oversee disputes between staff members, has to keep productivity going and manage access- And also act as acting captain should the captain fall or fail to do so, and the chief engineer has to oversee that everything is in working order, and has to report to the captain about structural damage and problems with atmospherics, The research director has to oversee research and the pursuit of scientific progress and to prevent his staff from getting too into their work (it happens) and has to explain preternatural or unusual events to the Captain, and lastly but not least the medical director has to ensure the staff is healthy, sensors are on at required times, and viruses are quickly attended to, and to explain medical incidents to the Captain and tend to the Captain's surgical needs.

Heads of staff have to be well educated in their fields, they have to be calm, efficient, and firm handed, but fair of voice, no matter what happens. They must make difficult decisions for the lives of the crew if they're tasked upon it, to throw themselves into the fire to solve a problem, the engineering chief should be the one capable of saving the station from a problem with the singularity, a Head of Security should be the tip of the spear against boarders, the Head of Personnel should ensure that service and supply is running even if the station is on fire, and stepping into the Captain's shoes if she's fallen, and the medical director should be the one working tirelessly to cure a lethal virus before it escapes the station. Responsibility. That's the name of the game.

A head of staff is just one layer of a massive layer-cake of responsibility, with the thickest responsibility lying at the top (with the captain) and rungs of different sweetness (and duty) the further down the rungs you go. A head of staff is there to represent authority - To represent the best and brightest of the staff, someone that can be turned to for help and someone that is there for the staff to pull them through in times of trouble and be sure they're safe and comfortable in the shuttle at shift's end. The head of staff's job is frequently thankless, difficult, and dangerous - But it's duty first and foremost why they do it.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of White-listed players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

An ooc responsibility for a head of staff would be to teach, to guide, and to assist them in telling their story in whatever way you can. You're also to ensure they're not griefers, they're not trying to play fast and loose with the rules of their section, and that the game is run fun and fairly for everyone in your department, oocly. I would strive to do so. I would set myself there to help teach new players how to play, I would help produce a cohesive and structural plan for my department of choice and ensure that players are engaged and having fun (or at least activity) for the duration of their shift.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name:

John Elliot Evans

Character age:

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

John Evans was born on July 1st, 2422 in the North American Eastern Metropolis, an overcrowded, starving and miserable city that stretched from the middle shores of the nation formerly known as Canada to the tips of the Florida Keys. His mother, a low-level worker for NanoTrasen, suffered and toiled to provide for her son, due to a missing father who left when the woman was with child. John didn't receive the best education, but he as taught and raised to be the man his father wasn't.

From such humble beginnings rose an eye for command and strategy, and after working his way through education as a teenager, he was considered a prodigy and rare talent midst a wasteland of the workers that had come from his very same neighborhood. Rising above the circumstances of his early life, John Evans worked his way into NanoTrasen to work with his mother until her passing in 2450, and since then, he's only shot for the stars even more, working day and night to serve his company and his fellow man. He has recently been granted the Captain's Star, after years and years of working for it. Despite his hard work, he tends to work himself to the bone, has no personal life to speak of, and is so frugal he lives within a small room within Central Command when not working.

What do you like about this character?:

He's a hard worker, he's efficient, he's smart and kind. He understand the burden of leadership.

What do you dislike about this character?:

That in many ways, his perfectionism and hard work will shave off years from his life. He sleeps at his desk, frequently, when the shift is over, and eats just enough to stay alive. His hard work, his desire to be more than his upbringing will be the death of him.

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff?:

I think so.

Why?:

Hard work and efficiency is key. His work ethic would certainly catch the eye of NanoTrasen's higher ranking officials, and the character would do well in the role of either Captain or Head of Personnel.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

I believe that I'm a good roleplayer. I also know that I have flaws- I've had some problems with metagaming in the past, I'll admit it, and I'm not perfect. Sometimes I screw up, sometimes I make the wrong decision- and sometimes those wrong decisions are serious. I kick myself to death when I make mistakes, I try and struggle despite my mental deficiencies (I suffer from Asperger's syndrome, and suffer from anxiety attacks) but I'm quick to learn and apologize. I love people, I love that I can in some way make someone a bit happier with the limited skills I have. I love to write. I don't work, I don't have much in my life, I just write. I love writing. I love roleplaying. Even though I'm not a Chuck Pahlahnuik or Stephen King in my writing skills, I try. I will never not try.

Mm-hmm, and. I've seen you around a bit, haven't witnessed any of the metagame myself. RPed with you a couple times, can't say for absolute certain I'd think you a competent head in an IC sense. But hey, the application looks pretty good and it's good that you made an attempt to clear up issues in the past.

I'd be onboard with endorsing this application.

When I say I know I can play the role, I mean I have the confidence in my abilities to perform the role as intended- I know how to delegate as a captain, I know how to act as a Head of Personnel, and I have some experience as a Head of Security, the three roles I intend on playing the most under this whitelist. As my experience in Engineering grows, I also plan on expanding my character retinue to create a prominent engineer in his or her field, once I have enough understanding to properly go about that.

I say "I know I can play the role" because I have played these roles OR similar roles before. I've been roleplaying for a very long time, and I believe in myself, and I can only hope that the operators of this server and the moderators of this whitelist can believe in me as much as I believe in me.