Telescience

nanotoxin

I haven't seen much about it, and considering we're getting a new map and this is a big idea, I don't expect it to be implimented any time soon.

Telescience has been a big anomaly in my mind. I've only just been taught by Ejunderscore on how to do it and I love it. Now I'm not asking we change they way it's done, because I like that it requires the math, but telescience as a whole could be better. What I think would be best for it would be if it were it's own department. This way we don't have lab assistants coming to the console and stealing all our crystals.

With it being it's own department it'll definately have the setbacks of not being able to go xenobiologist, or scientist to get the extra crystals. But why not give it full telecrystals right off the bat, or at least enough to cover the station.

Now I think I'm just dreaming with this feature, but what would be a good idea is a feature in the pda where you requested telesciences assistance, it could be a different console or perhaps in the same console where it tells you who the pda belongs to, and the coordinates of it when it was requested.

But why not give it full telecrystals right off the bat, or at least enough to cover the station.

No. God no. Real work needs to be done to make Telescience better for a reason (for both non-antags and antags).

Now I think I'm just dreaming with this feature, but what would be a good idea is a feature in the pda where you requested telesciences assistance, it could be a different console or perhaps in the same console where it tells you who the pda belongs to, and the coordinates of it when it was requested.

Telescience is not delivery or emergency services. Telescience is a research, and still experimental, field. Let me quote Tenenza from the last time somebody wanted extra telecrystals at round start:

You are not paid to be everyone's personal teleporter.

I'm not trying to shoot you down, but I feel like something different could be done with Telescience rather than "Oh, lets just give us enough crystals to have free access to the entire station at roundstart" or "I am emergency services, give me a console at round start that lets me know where who is." Most telescientists seem to think "I must use Telescience to save people with highly experimental technology" due to the fact that they OOC'ly know that there's no risk behind people teleporting. That contributes to the problem we've had about scientists using their research and experimental prototypes to help people because IC knowledge be damned, OOC knowledge to save lives is what matters in heavy RP.

Telescience is very difficult to initially get a grasp of, and after you figure out how to do it you're instantaneously tempted to do the stupidest powergamey shit with it because you know OOCly you can do whatever the fuck you want with it with no risk attached to it with immense reward if you know what you're aiming for.

Instead of the "Oh, I'm learning a lot of how short-wave bluespace manipulation works and how I can apply these theories," mentality that SHOULD be the drive of telescientists, it just boils down to who can be the griefiest shitter who is teleporting shit in and out of areas for the lulz.

It's a wonder this feature hasn't been toned down a lot in terms of what you can even do with it.