BYOND Key: MySkinIsThicc
Character Names: Dominic Rowan
Species you are applying to play: Shell Ipc
What color do you plan on making your first alien character: -
Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yesh, yes I have.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

It really started by me getting into science fiction in general. The ambiguity of sentience, as well as the struggles of understanding a world so far from yours, all the while feeling you want to be part of it. Artificial intelligence takes hold of that trope and stretches it to its limits, all the while being originaland intriguing. The very concept of robotics and code nets also provides a lot of room for creativity within the particular theme aswell, and I find the thoughtof bringing those elements to the table in-game very fun.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

For starters, an ipc is a fundamentally conflicting character, as their very concept is up for debate in game, or at the very least under much consideration.
That, in accordance with the lore written for them enables the player to choose the way they approach this puzzle, and even utlise it for dramatical scenes.
Ipc's, although varied in the way they behave, typically perform tasks in a more calculating manner, whereas a human would likely struggle to maintain their
composure or their emotions in-check. That, aswell as in game mechanics drastically alter the way the player is to percieve interractions, and changes how they go about
handling tasks on board.

Character Name:NT-Fumme (may possibly tweak)

Please provide a short backstory for this character:
Fumme was created in the workshop of a roboticist and was originally planned to sent off to work in Biesel. His creator had other plans, however, and decided to care for him instead of handing him to the service workplace. As time passed, Fumme was becoming more and more fascinated by human creativity, moreso about art and novel expression than architexture or science. This would eventually lead him to a curious path, ending up joining dubious groups, all of them promising freedom, change and expression one way or another. With the Waterloo of his last endeavour, he now seeks refuge more than anything, and is fixed on making changes for the better of all, or whoever that may include, be it with NT or others.

What do you like about this character?

What I love about Fumme is the way he views the world around him. Not having developed much as a positronic sentience, as he was meant for service work,
he is much more pure and curious about the outside worlds, as well as his own inner world. He can certainly be calculative and respond properly to certain situations,
especially the ones that deal with his own maintenance, but he can also be VERY faulty at times, either making wrong estimations about people or events, or behaving
in ways uncalled for (eg rude, confused,picky, jealous). Fumme is worried about the concept of sentience, and I'm hoping I'll have the chance to delve a bit further in
it through him.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?
I might find this one hard as being objective can be a bit difficult, but I would say a very solid seven out of ten. I am in no way the greatest roleplayer to have graced the server,
but I try my best to be cohesive and help everyone I'm playing with to have fun. Of course, that doesn't always work out, but I'm definately trying to have concept 
and or atmosphere that aids in  that.
Notes:

I organised a small arc on the personal terminal, where a number of interractions between Fumme and other characters can be viewed, should you be interested in checking 
it out.

Hello, thank you for applying. Can you expand on the backstory? As is, it's bare bones and the application calls for a two paragraph minimum. Moreover I have a few questions pertaining to the backstory: What chassis is he? Who manufactured him, and why? How did they acquire the parts if he wasn't manufactured by a company? What were these dubious groups? Why were they dubious? Is he free now? Owned?

Moreover, can you expand on this question here?

18 hours ago, MySkinIsThicc said:

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Yes I can. 

Regarding the backstory:

Fumme was a project brought into fruition by a roboticist operating under Einstein Engines, their workplace situated at the affiliated branch of Mendel City. His creator was tasked with creating and fully integrating handcrafted positronic intelligence, with the intention of selling them off to a number of businesses throughout Biesel. Being a new employee under the wing of the mega corporation, they were instructed to focus on the very basics of their field, and so their creations could only perform at the most rudimentary levels.

It would seem however that the growth of this particular positronic was shorter than anticipated, due to the lack of experience the roboticist had in the company. This lead to Fumme being far less advanced than his peers, with his problem solving and calculating speeds being lackluster, and much less efficient than the typical IPC on the market.

On the outside, the finished product looked rather ordinary. A standard shell model ipc with human-like features. These include, but are not limited to, a pair of emerald green eyes, a crown of blonde hair and red lips, only serving to contrast his pale synth-skin tone.

Of course, his state of mind was quite noticable to his creator, who was intrigued by the peculiarity of his newest project, and decided to conduct further experiments hidden from the watchful gaze of E.E. Fumme was introduced to numerous of work duties, such as engineering and architecture, cooking, music and writing. Needless to say, Fumme was somewhat slow to pick up on the details of most of the tasks he was presented, but seemed very eager to learn more about the arts. Overall, he was a passable service worker with interests beyond his reach, up until that point at least.

Fumme was later accompanied to various venues, ranging from clubs and concerts to political rallies and speaches. Fascinated by all the nooks and crannies of humanity, he spent much time in hiding with his creator, reading books and trying to learn as much as his positronic brain could handle without overworking itself. He was, however, found out, and although he managed to escape the iron grasp of E.E, his master was not lucky enough to share that fate, and was destined to face the consequences of their actions.

Bitter to his core about the way his master was treated, Fumme followed an odd path, far different from what he had envisioned for himself, as he entered the streets and searched for shelter. There he met with other positronic entities who were robbed of their right to be, and was inducted to the Synthetic Liberation Frontier. Under the command of their invisible plotter, he made an active effort to unveil the harsh reality the synthetics often faced, but to no avail. Despite his endeavours, he was captured, and subsequently taken away so he would be dismantled properly.

Through sheer luck, and a pinch of miracle, Fumme managed to escape captivity shortly before his termination, and begun his travels in-and-out of Tau Ceti space.

Today he is working under NT (With much help from Dominic, who pulled all the strings he had left), with a proper tag and an off-shore owner to show for, awaiting whatever fate still has in store for him.

On the differences of Ipc's and humans in-game:

Regarding roleplay, there are significant differences between humans and synthetics, both sides having the lore to prove it. As mentioned before, the sentience of synthetics is a much debated topic, with many conflicts seeding from this very fundamental problem in and out of Tau Ceti. Thus, a synthetic player should be aiming to capture that feeling of uncertainy and ambiguity, whilst incorporating to his character plans. There are also scenario's in which synthetics are called to behave and act strictly guided by facts and logic, much to the dismay of their more emotional organic counterparts. A synthetic also has very different needs from  a human, requiring charge and robotic maintenance to be held together, and being unable to sense any amount of pain. This can lead them to follow very different game plans, as  they can make life-saving choices (if you consider synthetics sentient beings) based on how many benefits they can reap before they blow up. A human on the other hand actively avoids (in most cases) suffering any amount of pain, instead aiming to maneuver around that variable and try to escape the spess deathtraps as unscathed as possible.

Of course, there are countless more scenarios and situations than I've listed here, but this should be a good base to build upon from the ground up.

Thank you for expanding on the application. I was curious what you mean by this however?

18 hours ago, MySkinIsThicc said:

This can lead them to follow very different game plans, as  they can make life-saving choices (if you consider synthetics sentient beings) based on how many benefits they can reap before they blow up. A human on the other hand actively avoids (in most cases) suffering any amount of pain, instead aiming to maneuver around that variable and try to escape the spess deathtraps as unscathed as possible.

Anything that would assure the synthetic's destruction or shutdown would go against the self preservation directive.

By that I meant that ipc's can make choices regarding self preservation without the limitations fleshy species abide by. An organic would be wary of damage to their limbs and/or internal organs, and there are numerous situations that can prove hazardous to them. A synthetic on the other hand can endure much more hardship. and is not ''fearful'' of external damage, so long as they do it to preserve their sentience. Essentially, ipc's can suffer a lot more damage (most of it repairable, mind you) if they are fighting to preserve themselves, and can enter scenarios where minute inconveniences for them could easily prove deadly to an organic (e.g. phoron leakage, if there's any to spare-). Typically ipc's don't feel pain, which is a benefit adding to the all the above.