[Accepted] Jamini Unathi Application

BYOND Key:Jamini

Character Names:Nasir Khayyam, Omnir Al-Nasser, Natalie Clarke, Edwin Atweeke

How long have you been playing on Aurora: About two months

Species you are applying to play: Unathi

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Murky Green

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes, though Jackboot just recently changed things up a bit.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

Honestly? I want to play Unathi because it is something I have never done. I've had quite a bit of interaction with Unathi on Bay, and I've been a huge fan of the species. Aurora lacks a fair amount of the hiss, and it needs more of it.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Unathi are a ssslightly violent, honorable, and hardheaded ssspecies. They tend to hisss when they talk, which resssultsss in extended s's. They come from a hot world, and do not handle cold temperaturesss well. On Aurora they alsso can quickly break cuffsss and consssume small animalsss whole. They are ssstrongly clanbound, and their lassst namesss are generally usssed for communication unlesss you are a very clossse friend. They are cold-blooded and, according to the wiki, hatch from eggsss. Unathi are alssso completely carnivorousss and cannot digesst most vegitables except asss ssspicesss.

Women are extremely disscriminated againsst by most Unathi, and some clansss treat them as property.

Character Name: Senzi Seifa

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Senzi Seifa

Age 17

Senzi Seifa is a young, proud warrior from clan Seifa. His mother was one of the first of their kind to leave Moghes and be employed by Nanotrasen as a Janitor in 2438. He was hatched in space, far from Moghes when the contact war broke out. He has no idea who his father is, though it is likely that they were an exile. Senzi does not care much. His mother brought him up, in-between her long work hours, in the traditional Unathi way. He was taught about Unathi honor, construction, fighting, sex, break-dancing, and home cooking from a very young age. Above all, however, his mother drilled into him the importance and superiority of the Unathi over every other species.

Now that Senzi is at the age of majority his mother has sent him out to make his own name, and the name of clan Seifa, proud. Armed with little more than the vital knowledge she has imparted in him and a, fortunately brief , Nanotrasen basic education course, he has signed up on the NSS-Aurora as an assistant.

This can only end well, right?

What do you like about this character?

He is essentially unskilled, proud, a little ignorant, and far more aggressive than the bulk of my characters are. I want to see him grow from a nice, blank template and see how the Aurora staff shape this little shit.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

I can range from utterly amazing, to complete shit, depending on the time of day, round, how my husband acts, and what I ate that morning. Overall I would say I am a fair role-player and I love to try and make my characters distinctive and fun. I don't always succeed, but I always try.

Notes:

This character is intended to be a conflict-starter. He holds many rather strong opinions that will intentionally rub other characters the wrong way, and he is expected to be violent to boot. How he develops, good and bad, will depend heavily on how others interact with him.

This is my third "Blank Slate" character. The other two originally being Nasir Khayyam and Omnir Al-Nasser.

The character his mother is based on had a liking for blood. He will probably have this as well.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I try to refrain lately from commenting on application threads because as loremaster it might sway the opinions of my minions and other players.

However:

I have a mild concern. You say he's supposed to be a "conflict starter", but I worry that this might be used to be a chucklehead and a headache to security. Are you going to be physically confrontational, or just sassy?

I have a concern as well in the same vein as Jackboot. Often times people misinterpret "warlike" when it comes to Unathi culture and think it means basic violence and thuggery. As an Unathi that was trained for battle and has a superiority complex over races I feel that it may be used as an excuse for violence. What may be redeeming in your character's description however, is that he was taught to be honorable. What is honor to you? And for that matter, if he was trained for battle, naturally what comes to mind for me is that discipline accompanies that sort of training. Has he been instilled with discipline?

Just gonna point out. If Jamini were to (Not saying he would, I believe him to be a fantastical RPer) make a chucklefuck character, they could use a species they already have access to, Tajara or even human. There's nothing wrong with being a "conflict starter", in fact, we might need a couple more of those who are well Rp'd. You can't possibly judge a character before he's even been created. Plus, tons of humans, most Unathi & Tajara, and just about ALL IPC's I've encountered have had some kind of species superiority complex. It's nothing new, nothing harmful.

+1, Jamini is a great RPer, has demonstrated Rping species well, and shows understanding of how Unathi are to act.

I have reason to believe you skimmed my post, or you didn't quite grasp my message.

Yes. The stereotypical "HONOR HONOR WAR BLOOD CLAN BLOOD FIGHT HONOR HONOR NO WEAPONS" breed of Unathi. I highly doubt Jamini would stoop that low. How he has his character setup, what his character determines to be honorable and what isn't, etc., is up to him to decide. Less as a character, and more as a player. If he uses his sense of honor as an excuse for unnecessary violence, surely he'll have to curb his attitude or be fired. If he doesn't, then hey, no problemo.

Examples of characters with species superiority complexes and violent backgrounds that don't exactly start violence all the time: Dicklizard, Vittorio, Sarge, just about any robot.

I have no issue with superiority complexes or conflict starters but we do have a history of Unathi that will claw at someone relentlessly when they don't get their way and it seems it's not much more than just because Unathi are supposed to be a "warlike" species. I feel that the "honor" descriptor is a redeeming factor that may KEEP them from being violent at the drop of a hat. I don't know Jamini very well and I know one of their characters which I haven't interacted with very much. It's not my lack of faith in them as a player but just because there's a lot of red flags in the description that brings me back to Space 'Nam. I'm still interested in their answers to my questions so I get a better feel for them.

Ok both me and Skull have discussed this at length in the past because a long time ago there were rules that Unathi couldn't be scientists and Skrell couldn't be security and Tajarans couldn't be engineers and the such. Because of the stereotypes. I love when people go against the stereotype I really do but if EVERYONE goes against it it's not really a good stereotype.

That being said I'm not too sure how I feel about the 'being violent' I hope this isn't another dicklizard or just someone who scratches faces off because they stole their cookies.

Anyway I'm still undecided about this, but I will make sure I reach my decision in a couple days.

However:

I have a mild concern. You say he's supposed to be a "conflict starter", but I worry that this might be used to be a chucklehead and a headache to security. Are you going to be physically confrontational, or just sassy?

Mostly sassy, though unlike several other characters of mine he is very unlikely to back down from a fight. I do plan to have him verbally bait to taunt other characters, especially the touchier ones, into fights.

Also, Unathi honor clearly defines that unless he is the one assaulted all physical confrontations between allies take place in organized and official honor duels. With the person who is challenged by said duel picking the style of said duel. Anything less is Un-Unathi and dishonorable.

That being said I'm not too sure how I feel about the 'being violent' I hope this isn't another dicklizard or just someone who scratches faces off because they stole their cookies.

Scratching someone's face off just because they stole cookies is dishonorable.

Shattering a few ribs in someone assaulting him would be self-defense.

Breaking a security officer's arm in three places after they assault a friend of his would be honorable.

Killing a fellow Unathi who admits to dishonoring themselves to restore honor, is honorable.

I have a concern as well in the same vein as Jackboot. Often times people misinterpret "warlike" when it comes to Unathi culture and think it means basic violence and thuggery. As an Unathi that was trained for battle and has a superiority complex over races I feel that it may be used as an excuse for violence. What may be redeeming in your character's description however, is that he was taught to be honorable. What is honor to you? And for that matter, if he was trained for battle, naturally what comes to mind for me is that discipline accompanies that sort of training. Has he been instilled with discipline?

Honor for me, and Honor as Senzi would see it are entirely different. One must remember this when talking about how Senzi would act.

First, his mother is based on/an Aurora varient on an Unathi played by a friend of mine. Sowei Seifa is a very real character, one that I've had a great deal of interaction with. Both Sowei and her player were very, very mercutial. On some days Sowei could be your absolute best friend and most trusted ally on the station, while on others she was swearing that she would eat your entrails while kicking and snapping her teeth at security officers busting her shins in. That said, even she had her own twisted honor system. It was one that was difficult to understand at times, and occasionally broken, but there was certainly one there. Some common points that the person that raised him would have brought him up with, regarding honor:

1. You do not attack your superior officer.

-Sowei was an engineer, under Nasir. At times she would absolutely loathe him. She had trouble understanding how he could be so patient and calm, even when he was getting insults and abuse thrown his way. More than once she even threatened to kill him out of spite. However, I cannot think of a single time that she attacked any CE or Cap without first herself being attacked/flashed. Even if she loathed (or wanted to have sex with) her leader, she wouldn't raise a hand to them.

2. Do not lie

-If Sowei hated you and wanted to hurt you, she would say as such. She did not sugarcoat facts or hide the truth, the only exception (ever) regarding CMD. If you wanted the blunt, unadulterated, truth you would ask Sowei.

3. Protect your allies

-Regardless of how you feel about your co-workers/department, when push comes to shove you stand with your allies. Betrayal is the worst dishonor that can come to anyone. Above all, you should be willing to lay down your own life for someone else.

4. Respect the honor of your enemies

-If an enemy shows honor in their conduct, Senzi will grant them respect. He would never stoop to attacking the allies or friends of an honorable enemy. If offered an honor duel by an honorable opponent, he will accept it. If an honorable enemy asks for a clean death or gives another request, he will grant it.

To counterbalance this however, there are several negative parts of the honor he was taught.

1. Always Retaliate in Kind

-If insulted, or assaulted, Senzi has been taught to retaliate in kind. His mother was notorious for shocking the security vendors in revenge to illegal/unethical brigging. If insulted, Sowei would retaliate with an insult. If assaulted, she would fight back and break bones. This attitude often led her directly into conflict with security and often resulted in her trying to trip or bite (RP-wise) people throwing her in the brig.

2. Never back down

-Unless made incapable, Senzi has been taught to stick to what he says and the challenges he makes. An honor duel given must be finished. A threat must be followed-through with. An argument, even if Senzi is clearly in the wrong (which he will be. Oh god will he be), will never be dropped or ended.

3. No Quarter

-If someone has gotten to the point where Senzi officially can call them an enemy (well beyond a simple, "I hate you"), he has been taught to not show them any mercy. Mercy, at least to him, is a sign of weakness and a great dishonor shown to the enemy. He won't necessarily kill a captive wizard or operative, but if given a choice between capture or execution of a hostile he will almost universally opt for the latter.

That's a very intricate elaboration. You've really thought this character through and seem to have given them a very solid basis for ethics and code of conduct. I'm pretty confident you'll play them well, and what violence may or may not ensue would make some sort of sense. I support this application.

Ditto.

Some people frown upon "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" kind of characteristic ideals, but I happen to find them interesting when they're executed correctly.

I have no doubt you'll take what you stated into consideration when someone attempts to challenge your character's moral, ethical or honor code. I support this application.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I'm going to accept the explanations and trust Jamini's creative ability to have this character be a good one.

Application accepted.