Toward Adventure

Toward Adventure

The date was August 21st, 2462. It was a warm summer night in Demolkos. Well, as warm as it could get on Moroz at least. The temperatures here would probably kill any Sinta that didn't dress properly in less than an hour. Still, it didn't discourage a small family of Unathi to dine outside. Moroz was a well developed world despite its chaotic origins, and Domelkos was a grand city, both in size and status, yet, right now, so late in the night, most of the city's lights were off, allowing the locals properly observe the stars from there, only adding more to the already quite scenic views that the ex-capital could offer.

Domelkos' periphery was mostly filled with the residences of nobles and other well-off secondaries, and thus, this is where a family of Han'san lived... Well, the parents at least, the children had left long ago, as soon as they reached adulthood, naturally. Although, this day, the four of them were reunited for a very special occasion, one of their son was leaving. Not just the family's proximity, but the planet. Sezrak Han'san, son of Kar'sani and Selathis, his father and mother, respectively, and brother of Nazik, was the one in question. This family nightly dinner was as much a way to celebrate the cream-colored Sinta's new job, as a way to bid him farewell.

The dinner itself went on, and by midnight, everyone by the table was sated. Nazik had to depart early, the Sinta was quite a busy one, between his work in the Imperial army, and his newborn daughters, he had plenty to handle. This left Sezrak alone with his mother, as Kar'sani simply stayed on the balcony.

"And where is it exactly in Tau Ceti?" Selathis asked. Out of the two parents, Sezrak certainly looked more like his mother. More than that perhaps, he was practically a copy, if one was to put aside the horns, clear absence of feminine traits, and imposing frame he got from his father.

"The Romanovich cloud, a region around the Tau Ceti system itself. The place is noteworthy for being rich in Phoron, and Space Carp nests... Nanotrasen has a research station around there, that's where they will send me. The theory, which I agree with, is that most if not all anomalies are somehow linked to bluespace... And, well, between the large deposits of phoron and high bluespace activity, let's say that this place could be a near endless trove of anomalous materials." Selathis cared little for the actual science, although she tried to follow, sometimes, out of respect for her son. "The station itself is basically in the same system as the Republic capital itself, Biesel. I've heard that it's quite the great place... I'll send you postcards." The two had moved to the kitchen, and started cleaning dishes and plates.

"I've heard that Dominians weren't quite popular in there... Are you sure that things will be alright?" Her son only gave her a laugh at first.

"I'm your son. And my father's. I may not be called Kezka, but I'm sure that I can take a little anonimosity. I proved this already, yes? Do not worry, mother." Sezrak paused, "Speaking of father, what is he doing? He's going to catch a cold out there." Selathis sighed, taking whatever piece of dinnerware her son was holding, finding that he was too slow.

"He's upset." She answered, "You, leaving, it doesn't please him very much. I tried speaking with him about this, but you know how he is. Since they announced your transfer a week ago he's just been like this. It will pass eventually... Although you should see him. It will certainly calm him. Hopefully. Go."

The Anomalist nodded and obeyed. He was counting on seeing his father anyways. Kar'sani was sat on a deckchait, one that they had moved from the house's solarium (the most Unathi room one could ever concieve) to the balcony, so that they could enjoy the night sky during the summer, when the temperature wasn't that rough. There, the old reptile laid, alone.

"Father, you shouldn't stay here. The cold is going to take the few limbs you have left." Sezrak let out with a grin, something that the one-armed father answered to with a dismissive motion of his hand.

"I have fought in the highest peaks, and trained in the lyods. I have had to hide and fight the best that Fisanduh had to offer while I wore practically nothing, nor carried any weapons. The temperature, tonight, feels just fine." The veteran bluntly said. Sezrak rolled his eyes, the oldscale took any opportunity to narrate his deeds and adventures... While it impressed him as a hatchling, by now it tended to get a tad tiresome, especially considering how dark said stories tended to get sometimes, may it be about raiding as a Han'san raider, or fighting Fisanduhans as a soldier alongside the near-sucidal men of the 16th Imperial regiment. Little did the son know that he would be doing exactly the same to his co-workers, as an anomalist, telling the tale of his finds and (mis)adventures...

"Fine, but this is home, not a battlefied. I myself tend to prefer the comfort of temperatures AT LEAST over ten degrees celcius. What are you even doing here all alone?" Kar'sani didn't answer that. He simply motionned his son to come closer, and he obeyed, walking forward, and eventually, kneeling beside his brown-scaled father. There, wordlessly, he offered a (his only) hand, a dark little thing in there.

"My lighter. One of, at least." He simply stated, "They handed us this thing when we enlisted in the 16th. You will keep it. Remember home with it." Sezrak nodded, silently grabbing the dark zippo, one of his finger running on the barely visible Dominian stantard on it. With a swift motion of his hand, he opened it and lit it up, a small reddish flame errupting from it.

"Don't you want to keep it? You know, I won't forget about you out there... Plus this is a very... History-heavy piece, this is like a medal... I mean, surely you'd want to keep it-" Sezrak was interrupted.

"I have another one." Kar'sani said, showing a second black lighter, although this one clearly showed signs of damage... It would be a miracle if this thing could even be turned on... But Sezrak knew who it used to belong to, he also knew that his father would never let go of this one. Kezka's. Perhaps the only thing they had left of him.

"I understand." Sezrak simply said, turning his new lighter off and stuffing it down one of the pockets of his usual red coat. "Thank you, then." Kar'sani silently nodded, before making another motion of his hand.

"Go then. You shouldn't last too long. I've heard that your shuttle is to leave early in the morning tomorrow. I expect my son to be in good shape, and look respectable when arrives in what is perhaps one of the most prestigious world the Spur can offer." The Anomalist nodded. It was his turn to remain silent for a little while, as he followed his father's words. "And Sezrak." He stopped, and stared at his father, "I love you. Please be careful. I cant take you or Nazik taking such dangerous paths... But I would rather not mourn another son."

"Naturally." Sezrak simply answered, and walked away.

Next stop, tomorrow: Tau Ceti, anomalies, asteroid-dust, cosmic horrors... And adventure.

Edited by Captain Gecko