[Denied] NM's CCIA Application

CCIA Staff Application

Basic Information

Byond Key: Comrade Batman

Character name(s): Ren Hartfort, Arthur Wrynn

Timezone: EST

What times are you most available?

• Evening into late night, latest usually 2:00am.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?

• Played on and off since 2012, with hiatuses of a few years in between.

How long have you played on Aurora?

• Started early March, it'll be a month in a few days. Fairly new to the server, play primarily in Medical.

How active on the forums, discord and/or server are you?

• Play/check forums+discord daily. Usually lurk and primarily involved IC.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?

• N/A, never been banned.

Have you ever volunteered as moderation staff for any other servers, SS13 or otherwise?

• I have collaborated and lead several RP projects throughout the years on different platforms, predominantly RP servers with populations ranging from 40 to 100+. These servers were heavily based on supporting player narrative with DM oversight, staff-side storylines with emphasis on player progression, world building, and atmospheric immersion. Positions have ranged from Storyteller, Head ST, Admin, Head Admin, and more. Overall participated and experienced every facet of what goes into a passion project like running an RP server.

Do you have any other experience that you believe would be relevant to a position in the CCIA?

• Experience as a full time employee that frequently interacts with group collaboration on projects, tight deadlines, mediating disputes, and professional exchanges. Ran tabletops in my own time that encompass a necessity to familiarize with systems, rules, and narrative creativity to cultivate a satisfying story for my players. The work I've done above. Unfortunately, none of it has been in SS13 so far.

Personality

Why do you want to join the CCIA?

• I've always been on the hunt for a server on SS13 that was committed to roleplay at the forefront of the experience. Aurora has offered me a journey that's been an absolute pleasure that I'd like to give back to the folks that created a platform where few have managed both such a long tenure and an overall high quality environment. Some of my most satisfying moments in my RP career have been in reciprocating player initiative to create satisfying narrative sequences -- where at the heart of any project or interaction, between writers, the desire is to make something enjoyable and just as memorable. I've had enough experiences on managing RP servers where I think I'm best suited in my current stage of life to enable stories, conflicts, and build upon the foundations set out by player efforts. A major tenet I've always abided by, besides meeting players halfway, was to realize the world at large in a way that it felt real. The precarious balancing act was always ensuring it didn't suffocate agency nor inhibit creativity, but a well rounded evolution beyond what a player character can do alone. I very much intend to play actively on my own characters, but feel I can offer more without involving myself on a larger scale that can prove too committal or outside the scope of my interests.

What do you think are the most important qualities for a CCIA Agent to possess?

• Patience. This goes for ANY position of staff on any project. The ability to weather aggression, high emotions, and allowing cooler heads to prevail. The most common thing amongst roleplayers is to argue. Being able to mediate that in a meaningful way that attempts to satisfy both parties is exceptionally difficult, but something to strive towards. To do it, you'll need that ability to keep on the path of what every hobby passion should be - the enjoyment.
  • Creativity. Less so mandatory than patience, but an important lens that allows something more nuanced than the status quo permits. The ability to resolve a situation in an angle that a player/group of players didn't consider initially. The way in that the best stories are open ended in their outcomes, where players can approach an overall objective but come out in a turn of events that didn't railroad the narrative. The caveat is to similarly reward good execution/planning and a dose of luck. Failure in outcomes should be realistic and grounded, not arbitrary or nonsensical. Disputes, especially, always benefit from a conclusion that doesn't have to simply be a binary outcome.
  • Discipline. There won't always be a time where you're driven to complete every report that's available. Burn out happens more frequent than not, especially over long periods of time. It's inevitable that sometimes you simply won't feel - or want - to 'work', especially after your actual job. The key here is to know your limits, anticipate your workload/interest, and plan accordingly. Precisely why I've chosen CCIA over other opportunities. The ability to see yourself through a commitment you signed up for is crucial, just as it is the recognition that you can no longer do it and allow someone else to take the reins when the time comes.
  • Communication. Often reduced to a common sense thing, but arguably more important than all other qualities. There simply needs to be open transparency between staff members and the playerbase (within reason). Keeping accountability, offering insight on server direction, staying current on events/processes/planning, is essential. If everyone is on the same page, knows what to do, life is just that much easier. We are, at the end of the day, come from radically different backgrounds with our experiences that will wildly vary. This leans into compromise, which can best be done by effective communication that leaves no stone unturned, with all parties satisfied with their contributions in an ideal world.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is in an ongoing round?

• In terms of strictly responsibility, to respond to any faxes from the SCCV Horizon command staff. In a broader sense, it's to facilitate and cultivate roleplay. The balancing act I mentioned earlier of enabling player storylines whilst avoiding neutering agency by simply manhandling them with in game authority. CCIA is an extension of the administration in the IC world, but should be a creative outlet and flexible tool to keep the RP going as well as expand on it. A much more reactive force at times.

What do you think the purpose of a CCIA Agent is outside of the server?

• Resolve, mediate, and conclude disputes. Actualize consequences or provide recognition (commendation reports). It is the second half to the equation of the roleplay experience, the world at large, which doesn't stop just because players aren't actively involved in it. The majority of interactions will be between players, but crafting those scenarios with CCIA involvement can make for lasting, memorable moments.

How do you handle stress?

• Prior roleplay administration and my own job as a full time adult regularly exposes me to frequent stress, which is simply a byproduct of being engaged in the world. I am more than familiar with the volatility/drama involved in any RP scene, which is an inevitable consequence when groups of people with different opinions interact. The best way to handle it is to manage it, which I strive to do on a regular basis. I've learned enough along the way to avoid burdening myself with additional stressors beyond what I choose to engage in and knowingly get into. Communicating this and the self awareness to take breaks or step away if needed are crucial, which I adhere to as often as possible. It's simply unavoidable. Utilizing the tools to keep it from overwhelming you are what make a successful person in any field, hobby, or profession.

How well do you work autonomously?

• Administrative work often put me in the necessity of delegation, collaboration, and management of staff/players. Working independently is a luxury I indulge in when I can, something I don't have a problem with. I prefer to consult peers or superiors for anything I'm not confident in. With experience and familiarity with the philosophy of how things are handled, I fully embrace autonomous work. I still keep an open line of communication to ensure there's no ambiguity as to what I'm working on. I ask questions, discuss scenarios, and lean for advising precisely so I can operate independently.

Additional Notes

I'd like to thank my readers for taking the time to review my application, it's deeply appreciated. Regardless of outcome, I intend to play on Aurora for the foreseeable future and try to give back to the community where I can. I have sincerely always wanted to explore the realm of RP in this particular genre/game, so it's been an utter relief to land here after years of enjoying SS13 on lighter RP servers. The CCIA seems like a wonderful opportunity to expand on what I do best - interact via an IC medium that enhances the initiative taken by players, something I very much like to encourage no matter where I RP. The nature of a more reactive force aligns with my schedule and expectations, without hindering my own investment of my characters/playtime. Shout out to Ramke for answering my extensive questions that lead me to bite the bullet and make an app!

Edited by Bear
  • Bear changed the title to [Denied] NM's CCIA Application
  • Bear locked this topic