Stop Using Borging as the Go-To Punishment

Spungus

As an antag on an HRP server, your responsibility is to entertain and antagonize the crew. If you're a good antag, you spend time thinking of and executing a gimmick. This can be anything from kidnapping people for ransom to being a serial killer leaving little clues and hints for Security to follow. If you're lucky, the crew goes along with it.
But the crew is not held to the same standard when it comes to entertaining their enemy. More often than not, your reward for providing an engaging gimmick that is made for the whole crew to enjoy, you get your brain scooped out and put into a robot to be a slave for the rest of the round, regardless of what threat you actually pose. Fun.

It's a pretty simple thing I'm asking for. For roleplay-based antagonizations, use a roleplay-based punishment. There is no inherent danger in the armed mutineer once he's been disarmed and ostracized by his peers. So... Why borg them? Why not maroon them or throw them in the brig until the round is over? Borging forces a person to immediately drop the character they've been playing the whole round (and usually comes with being harassed IC and mocked for getting caught).

The easiest possible way to rectify this would just be to allow executions- sure, it's a little wacky for a megacorporation (or five) to be outright executing people, but, well, stranger things have happened. At least executing people lets them die on their own terms- borging people makes them, you know, a slave. I find it hard to believe that any government would look at the process of cyborgification and go "yeah that's so much less cruel than making him spacewalk without a suit!"- because, let's face it, it isn't. It's killing someone, driving a spike into their brain, and using it to power a robot- which, you can either consider to be execution (in which case just ask their preferred means of death) or lobotomizing and enslaving someone (which is actually fucking insane and some grimdark shit - in which case, execution shouldn't be prohibited).

Or, maybe, just maybe- make use of marooning or imprisonment instead of defaulting to 'haha wetware robot!!"

(Yes, this is salt in the form of feedback. Fight me. You know I'm right.)

• Like 2

This isn't the subfourm for salt in the form of feedback. In fact, if it really gets to that point you're better off not saying anything and coming back when you can make a more measured post.

I do want to add that when it comes to mutiny, people have been borged canonically over this during events. It's quite the severe offense and being an antag is not really relevant to it.

• Thanks 1