UI Improvements for AI's and Cyborgs

i....... have no idea what those icons do... It's like taking out the current one out of the window and putting up something really new that barely even tells you what that is... Like for instance, the camera.. Why would a human have camera Icon.. And speaker? That's suposed to be how much noise you do?

That looks really neat. A lot less menu navigation to have to deal with.

It is a lot faster to navigate.

I'm not a fan of the icons, they kinda look out of place with the current ones.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan either but the only place where they're juxtaposed is in the cyborg UI, and it doesn't look that bad.

With the AI you're only seeing those icons, and they're at least consistent with themselves.

If anyone feels like forking my repo and doing another pass on the icons, please do. The relevant file is 'icons/mob/screen_ai.dmi'.

i....... have no idea what those icons do... It's like taking out the current one out of the window and putting up something really new that barely even tells you what that is... Like for instance, the camera.. Why would a human have camera Icon.. And speaker? That's suposed to be how much noise you do?

You have dramatically misunderstood the first image. That isn't the UI for a human, that is an AI observing a human.

As to what the icons do:

Top row, left to right:

1. Shows you the camera list and lets you jump to a camera.

2. Shows you a list of people to track with your cameras.

3. Turns on or off your camera observation light.

4. Lets you choose security or medical HUD.

Second row, left to right:

1. Centers your vision on your core.

2. Shows you a crew health monitor and map.

3. Shows you the crew manifest.

4. Shows you the stations current list of atmospherics and power alerts.

5. Make an Announcement message.

6. Call the shuttle.

7. State your laws.

8. Send a PDA message.

9. Show your PDA message log.

10. Take a picture.

11. See your stored pictures.

Call the shuttle on the hotbar?

That's not a button that gets used by the AI much and should only be used if someone orders you to press it. I don't think it should be on the hotbar.

Remember, this is from Paradise. There, the AI is often the only one left capable of calling the shuttle when the bridge is lost or destroyed.

The button also pops up a confirmation dialog, so there's no chance of accidentally calling it. I'm willing to remove it if that's a blocker, but I honestly don't see the point.

Ooohkay, so I added a bit more to this while fixing the issue with the backpack module select screen not refreshing when you stored items.

I did a pass over the hotkeys! Hurray!

All right. Lets do this:

Key X

Previously, this hotkey wouldn't start cycling if your first inventory slot wasn't filled. So if you had slots 2 and 3 full, but 1 empty, clicking X would do nothing. Now it works how you'd expect. It cycles if you have something selected, and if you have nothing selected, it selects the first item.

Key C

This deselects everything, leaving you able to interact with computers and distant AI objects. Previously, to do this you had to click on an empty area of your selected module. It was very awkward.

Key V

This stores your currently selected item.

Key Q

Previously this would just tell you that you weren't allowed to drop items as a robot. Now it toggles your inventory open or closed.

Key 1,2,3

Previously hitting 1 would activate Help intent, and 4 would activate Harm intent. Robots have only two intent types, making the toggle key F more useful. These now select their respective modules.

I also revised how clicking on items in the backpack works. Now, clicking on an item in the module storage, with a tool selected, will hot-swap the item into your current module.

Taken together, these changes reduce an enormous amount of unnecessary and awkward clicking.

EDIT: Personally, I liked the backpack inventory and stuff, but really it was just a moderate improvement. This stuff with the hotkeys is significantly better. It's going to make playing robots way less fiddly.

More stuff!

I added the currently selected modules to the examination of cyborgs:

cyborg_description.png

Cyborgs also now get feedback when switching modules and people nearby will be able to see them doing it. This is a lot like putting things into backpacks, if you're right next to the cyborg you can see the tool they're switching, if you're further away you only notice that they've changed their tools somehow.

More stuff!

I added the currently selected modules to the examination of cyborgs:

cyborg_description.png

Cyborgs also now get feedback when switching modules and people nearby will be able to see them doing it. This is a lot like putting things into backpacks, if you're right next to the cyborg you can see the tool they're switching, if you're further away you only notice that they've changed their tools somehow.

Waaaaait, do you have the hardpoint idea set up somewhere, or is this just a mock-up?

That's in my changelist. The hard-points in this instance just refer to the existing module slots on the cyborg, but they display like that when you look at them.

I have plans on expanding on that idea, but for right now it's just visual feedback on what already exists.