David273's Head App

BYOND key:

David273

Character names:

David Whyvenyr

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:

A fucklong time. I was here before the Apollo split birthed the server.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:

Because muh powergame I enjoy playing heads, particularly the RD, and the RP it brings.

Why did you come to Aurora?:

Because after the Apollo split, it was normally the more populated one, so I came here to get my 2d spacemans fix, as I would assume most did.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?:

Yep. tl;dr Don't be a chucklefuck and ensure your slaves do their jobs, which is what I was doing anyways.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplaying should be about two people playing the role of either themselves or a character they've made in the setting of SS13, and having fun with it. I know I have fun RPing, especially David, as he's more or less a heavily exaggerated version of my personality.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

To ensure that your slice of the station is functioning as it should, without crisis, and, above this, they should be the most competent members of their department. In the event of an emergency, however, they should be the ones ready to pull their department together and get shit done.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

The responsibilities of a whitelisted player to others is, more or less, to use their authority responsibly, and to fill the position properly. They should be, on average, the most competent person in their division, and should know how to do every part of it at least decently.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name:

David Whyvenyr

Character age:

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

David's life began as it meant to go on- as a slave. He was born on what could be coined as "Worker Planets", hell-blasted planets with any number of reasons that made them too inhospitable for colonization, but which contained valuable ores buried beneath the surface. More official mining companies would scrape the crusts of the planets for the easily accessed ores before packing up and leaving, but those with an exceptional surplus of manual labor and shortage of morals would come in after them, setting up a bare minimum of life support before getting to work.

The living conditions of these planets were indescribably horrible. The workers sent to the planets were all prisoners, debtors, or otherwise missing persons from sectors all throughout the universe. They would all work, all day, every day, digging up the ore for sale off-planet, all the while suffering from abuse, starvation, disease, and exposure to whatever environmental dangers kept the planet from colonization. This miserable fate would continue until the day the mines finally ran dry, and the superiors ordered the operation over, whereupon the guards and such would pack up all the equipment and able-bodied workers they could, leaving behind the rest to a near certain demise, alone, on an unlivable planet.

As it was, fate moves in mysterious ways, and this was not what ended up happening to David. All throughout life, he was subjected to no shortage of people telling him that his entire life was going to be miserable, that he would die the way he lived, expendable, worthless, just another slave, but that didn't phase him. He would bide his time for nineteen years, waiting, plotting, ever so carefully, for his moment. In fleeting spare time, he would memorize guard patrols, glimpsed security codes, equipment rotations and damages, even observing what he could about the operation of the cargo shuttles. Methodically he plotted until, finally, he was ready to break out. He moved quickly, and, as per his preparations, and just a small hint of luck, everything went according to plan, and he ended up a few systems away with a stolen uniform, a ship, and a boon of ore.

After selling the ore and ship, he goes into a period of hiding from his former captors on the first planet he comes across, experiencing during that time his first taste of "normal" life in space. To say the contrast was stark would be an incredible understatement, but all the same, he adjusted after some time.

Some time passes and David, after escaping his past for the most part, decides to petition the government of the planet he was on for them to liberate the rest of the workers from the shackles of slavery. To his alarm, although not greatly so, the procedure was very official. On larger planets like the one he was on, slaves stumbling to government offices looking for help after escaping captivity had apparently become common enough that they gave the process their own office, along with guidelines and such to follow. After filling out some forms, he was taken back into a room to have his account of his escape from the planet recorded. He gave his account, and was excused from the building, told that they would look into the credulity of his story and get back to him on what they would do.

Weeks pass, and as promised, the government sends him a message saying that they had found his story credible, and sent a scout ship out to investigate. To their disappointment, however, they found that the facility had been vacated, and all that they found were the corpses of those left behind on the planet. The message ends with a curt apology for his loss, and the assurance that they will continue looking for his captors.

More time passes. David discovers a hidden talent he has for various sciences, and after honing it to a razor edge through years of schooling and grinding through PhD after agonizing PhD, he finds himself doing odd jobs for various technologically-minded organizations of various moral disposition. Eventually, he would end up as a scientist on a NanoTrasen space station, where, after working for several years and performing outstandingly, he would find himself being promoted to Research Director.

What do you like about this character?:

His attitude. After all the misery he's been through, it'd be unsurprising that he's as bitter and cynical as he is, but all the same, he strides to do an excellent job, and be a good person. After all, you can be both a good person, and an asshole. In fact, you could even say that his constant objective mindset is a sort of coping mechanism for stress, as he always seems remarkably cool in stressful and sometimes even dangerous situations.

What do you dislike about this character?:

I don't like his backstory. While I'm grudgingly satisfied with how I wrote it, it's just really... Simple, I guess? I dunno. I've just written such better backstories I feel, and this is just really bare-bones if you cut away all the fluff description, but I suppose all backstories are if you do that.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:

An asshole he might be, his knowledge and skill is undeniable, and his get-up-and-go attitude is quite befitting a department head, although it could be said that he prefers doing work himself a bit much, that could also be considered a good thing or a bad thing.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

8/10. I'm not some god at RPing, especially because I only play one character on the server, but I think I'm pretty good at writing and RP and the like, as (hopefully) evidenced by the zillion paragraphs extra I wrote in his biography because I was really feeling the story flowing.

Extra notes:

I was whitelisted back on Apollo, if that's worth anything.

Edited by Guest

As it stands, your character is not head of staff material. One of the reasons being heads of staff must be minimum 30 years old. Please consult this link in order to help you make your character because it will show you other reasons why your character is not head of staff material. http://aurorastation.org/wiki/index.php?title=NanoTrasen_Occupation_Qualifications#Tier_10 In fact, he's not even qualified to be a scientist. http://aurorastation.org/wiki/index.php?title=NanoTrasen_Occupation_Qualifications#Tier_7r

Please look over these and revise your character.

Apologies for that. I didn't see any mention of those pages being guidelines for whitelist applications. In fact, I didn't know they existed at all, what with them being hidden behind three other pages on the wiki. You should include those on the whitelist application template page thing.

I've updated the age and tweaked some of the backstory to include mention of time at Space College.

Tell me if I need to make any more changes.

Huh, could've sworn I had added it to the guidelines. No worries then, I'll just edit the post now. Thank you for editing your application. Also, keep in mind that you are able to advertise your application on OOC in the server once per round. I recommend doing so, so that you can get feedback that will help us come to a (hopefully) positive decision on your application after the 3 day waiting period.

You say you have been here a very long time, it might just be me but ive never seen your character. And ive never seen your name around. If i can see what your like IC then i will give you feedback but at the minute il not rate your application.

I said I've been around a long time, not that I play a whole lot, because I don't. I used to, back on Apollo, but I've not really been feeling it very much lately.