Kaed's Unathi Application

BYOND Key: Kaedwuff

Character Names: Grenn Takkis (Human), LEMON/Lemon (Silicons)

How long have you been playing on Aurora: Several days

Species you are applying to play: Unathi

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Yellow.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: Because it is the race I have always enjoyed playing on other servers.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Being physiologically distinct from humans makes their body language rather different for a start, with tail thumps and scale rattling both being signs of emotion. Unathi have a somewhat japanese-flavored sense of propriety, in that strangers are supposed to address each other by surname unless they know each other well. Their viewpoint on females is somewhat stricter than humans, and a classical moghes unathi will view women as property. They tend to also be somewhat more violent and territorial than humans, though in my experience, an unathi who behaves strictly according to lore often ends up brigged for assault or similar charges after being deliberately provoked, while piles of players make whining forum complaints about the character being excessively violent. Therefore, I think playing a somewhat more human-socialized unathi character is a more feasible option.

Character Name: Kaed Maltivus

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Maltivus an Ouerean unathi, and though he and his parents were born on Moghes, he does not remember much of it, as he was only a few years old when he left the planet. They relocated as part of the second attempt at unathi space travel, and as such was one of the first colonists on the planet. The others of their clan who wished to stay behind subsequently died in the apocalyptic exchange a year later, leaving him and his parents without any living family or anywhere to go back to.

His mother was a painter, though, and he grew up surrounded by artwork of what his homeworld used to look like. That, combined with the mounting sense of depression from his parents, who felt dislocated and alone due to the loss of everyone they knew, instilled in him a strong sense of moral outrage towards oppression and social injustic that colored much of his life. The unathi, though particularly small and even runty for his kind, grew into someone with a strong personality and perhaps a bit too much bravery for his own good.

What do you like about this character?

I enjoy playing a character with a vibrant, assertive personality. I also have a taste for bright colors, which is reflected somewhat in his character design.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

I think I am pretty experienced with it. I have been roleplaying in other mediums for years, and in this particular one for around 6 months.

Notes:

While yellow is not strictly within the portfolio of 'scale colors' it is not really that far off from the green/red/sandy colored spectrum listed. And yellow is actually a color that exists in real lizards. I hesitate to reach for the 'genetic defect' card for this, because it doesn't really seem completely implausible that shades of yellow would be naturally occuring.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello! I'm excited to see that your first post is a whitelist to be involved further in the community, especially since I've been delighted with your AI and my experiences with him.

I have some initial comments before I let this sit for a day or two for possible player feedback.

Your insight on the retaliation against 'traditional' unathi is only partially wrong. Sometimes they're undone by their own hubris and murdered by whatever they picked a fight with. :P

Yellow is indeed fine. I can't recall seeing a yellow one, but as long as it's not bright neon yellow I can't imagine it being a problem.

Ouerean Unathi are few and far between, so I'd be glad to see another one running around. What department do you see Maltivus in? The stereotypical choices would be RnD or medical.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure which department I will play him in. In other servers, I tended to waffle between engineering, security, and medical, depending on my waning interest with one of them, with very occasional forays into Xenoarcheology or Xenobiology, since the rest of science is pretty boring to me. And I always enjoy playing him as a chef.

But you also have telescience and genetics, something that was removed/not implemented in my previous server, so I might give those a poke?

I'm not entirely sure how you deal with character roles on this server. My old one had a rule that you were not supposed to roleplay characters who had knowledge outside of their department, but there was no specific rule that a character HAD to play a specific job every round because that was ~their job~. Though it sounds kind of like that's what you're implying..?

Guest Marlon Phoenix

As it stands characters aren't supposed to have a broad range of specialized skills. Bouncing around in intern roles would be perfectly fine for a new character, or going from engineering to robotics and vice-versa, but once your character is established he/she needs his skillset and qualifications and that's what he's stuck with.

For example, my HoP meowcat Houssam Jawdat can be HoP, or any civilian role + quartermaster, but people would call foul if he became HoS.

Jumping around in a single department is fine. You can try all the roles of RnD, for example, but the rule of thumb (evolving into the actual rule) is that you establish yourself.

Fair enough. Your setting makes the discovery of unathi too recent for a non-native unathi to be of any significant age impossible, and younger people tend to do internships for a while. So I'll probably go with that until I find something I like.

The similarity of this character's backstory to mine, down to the mother-was-an-artist and the colour of their scales, is certainly a mighty coincidence! I would just ask that the yellow not be banana-yellow, as Hycinth said. My Unathi is a sort of 'darkish gold' and I think that's the most vibrant you can go with that colour archetype for lizards. You really did your research into Aurora's lizardlore, which is commendable. The recommendation is also that you hop around in intern positions to find out what you like. Otherwise, I would support this application on the basis of 'twinsies'!. +1

Guest Marlon Phoenix

It looked a lot more yellow on my mobile. Like he looked like a banana in people clothes.

Maybe a biiiiiit less yellow? Rub him in some mud and throw a smidge of brown. I won't deny because it could be alright; it's just a personal preference that he would probs get less banana jokes.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

"That's no lizard, that's a lemon!"

Your initial colour ssssscheme works for me, now.

Barring anything crazy I have in mind to accept this application tomorrow, to allow a bit more time for possible feedback between now and then.