Jakers Forum Mod App.

Basic Information

Byond Account:Jakers457

Preferred means of contact: Gmail, forum pm or pager

Timezone:GMT

How often do you visit/use our forums?: I check the forums daily, to check on my own posts and what's on in the community.

Experience

How long have you been with our community:Since October

Do you have any experience in forum moderation or administration?: I helped ran a forum roleplay site and I've also moderated on one Roleplay Server on Minecraft.

Have you ever been banned from our server or forum, and if so, how long and why?:Nope, not yet.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?:I enjoy it as a platform for roleplay, it has something GMOD will never have and something the forum rp just doesn't itch.

Why do you play on Aurora?:You guys are alright, I enjoy the server and a hand full of people here.

What do moderators do?:To moderate. But nah, they're there to ensure that the peace is kept. They watch out for harassment, inappropriate posting and ensure community ethics are kept in place.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our community?: It's kind of like being a ranger on the black wall of Mordor, you're kind of waiting for the blood thirsty hordes to jump the wall and attack you. I think the community has had some uneasy times and I want to make an attempt at being an objective staff member who can make sure no one's getting too grilled.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: A sense of obligation I guess? I came to this community exhausted after the last one I was a patron basically spiraled downwardly before tearing itself apart. You guys have kept my hunger for SS13 sated, I thank you for that.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: Well I like to think honest but reasonable, I try not to shit on other people's work or characters but I would be frank in what I thought. I also like to think that I don't hold onto grudges for long is a good quality, seeing as the staff would find conflict with members now and then. I've also yet to make a hostile post that is written to personally attack someone or to derail the thread if my memory serves me right, so I like to think that's pretty good? I also have a few forum side projects in mind that I want to try out for the community, shake things up on the wordy-text side of things.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:Inverted Rectum once remarked something along the lines of 'me not being a seething ball of hatred' and I do like to think I try to keep impersonal on the forums. There are plenty of people I butt heads with, but I don't hold them to it.

Anything Else You Want to Add: (Do not put words here)

(Put words here) (Alright) I wouldn't say I'm the most popular guy on the forums right now, but if you want to give me a try then so be it. If you feel I would be awful, something akin to a bloody and foolish reign of a cruel child emperor, then so be it.

Edited by Guest

Why do you want to be a moderator?: A sense of obligation I guess? I came to this community exhausted after the last one I was a patron basically spiraled downwardly before tearing itself apart. You guys have kept my hunger for SS13 sated, I thank you for that.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?:

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:Inverted Rectum once remarked something along the lines of 'me not being a seething

You didn't say your good qualities! I need to know! I NEED TO KNOWWWW!!

Question Time:

1: What do you think is different between Forum/Sever Moderators, and why did you decide to apply for Forum Moderator?

2: Of all the forum rules that are currently existant, which do you believe is either most necessary or will form the bulk of your time enforcing?

3: What makes a healthy community, and how will you promote that outside of moderation?

EXTRACREDIT: You are advisor to a cruel child emperor. How do you teach them empathy and compassion?

1. Forum moderators only moderate the forums, they do not have any power (in my mind) on the server and presumed to be normal players server side. While standard Moderators, would have best of both worlds, moderating both the server and forums with equal responsibility.

And why did I opt for Forum Moderator? Well I did nag Doom and Skull about there being forum moderator positions, because that was more of the area I wanted focus on opposed to having to sacrifice my gaming to monitor things server side. I also wanted to start a few forum side projects that some of the community might like.

2. Don't be a dick is the most important to me. I feel people can state their opinions, arguments and disagreements without making personal attacks and otherwise nonconstructive attitudes toward someone else's characters, suggestions or requests. I'd be keeping a beady eye out on anyone who needs to take a step back, and take it down a notch.

3. A healthy community is that of a reasonable, objective staffing team that keeps the environment non-toxic as humanly possible. I also feel a healthy community is where people can come to a level of understanding to the point where they are willing to make a compromise opposed to holding a completely hostile front to any idea they disagree with. A healthy community is also a community, where someone can post without the fear of being chastised for having an unpopular opinion (save for any topics included in Rule 2) and where they don't feel the need to revoke their own whitelists or titles because of negative responses. An overly idealistic, mature environment.

Bonus Question: Simple, I remove all luxuries from the child emperor and give them the bare necessities to live. Once they have suffered, I will show them compassion and empathize with their plight, giving them the luxuries they once had with hopes they have learned what it is to suffer, and it is to be shown mercy. I will then say something from a Buddhist's scroll relevant to the lesson at hand, then drink tea on a midsummer's noon under a cherry blossom tree with the child emperor. With great hopes he had learned to be compassionate, and will not have me torn apart by four horses leashed to my limbs.

x16098623.jpg

I generally don't like how far you usually go to avoid conflict on the forums.

Like that one time you made that thread on whether the CSI or Medbay should get a murder victim first in the whitelisted subforum because you were afraid people were gonna argue in the regular forum too much.

Or that other time when you were against making the whitelisted subforum public because people would argue on it too much.

You generally strike me as having a "Stop the shitstorm at all costs" mentality which I dislike because I view doing that as telling everyone to stop yelling at each other without listening to what any side in the conflict has to say.

I believe in results and dislike circlejerking. I'll start threads that I feel lean towards policy such as uniforms and cloning in the head's section, there's less people so it's easier to gauge people's opinions and find some sort of resolution to the subject at hand. With that, once everyone's come to sort of conclusion then I'd put it up for everyone to see.

Because of that, I insisted on keeping the Head board as a whitelisted forum. Sometimes we need to discuss things or set up projects without much interference from the community, which might sound shitty, but it's about practicality. As stated, I've recently posted a discussion about Uniform etiquette and lack there of by the crew, if I had posted this on the general subforum it would've had people repeating eachother or getting aggressive for no real end. Because I kept it with the Heads, we've been having a pretty civil discussion which is actually yielding results.

It's not me fearing the arguments, as I will argue plenty given the amount I actually care about the subject but at the same time, I am willing to back down if there is a compromise or if my points aren't getting me anywhere... which isn't always the case with others. Also! I have an idea for 'shitposters' and how we can cater to them without it causing too much incident.

• 1 month later...