Haelgurn's IPC Application 'Kentigern'

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

BYOND Key: Haelgurn

Character Names: Kentigern

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): N/A!

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yep.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I've enjoyed playing synthetic, or otherwise non-humanoid species on numerous communities, my main experience is on star wars galaxies, but I’ve also roleplayed them in forum RP, gmod RP communities. Starbound RP servers, and various other mediums. I think my most enjoyable time was on SWG emu, where I RPed a HK-47 assassin droid, and it wasn't because of their primarily combat driven role. Their vapid hatred of humanity bitterness, and lack of understanding of the very same ‘stinking meatsacks’ they chastised gave me a unique appreciation for roleplaying inorganics that has started to borderline on obsessive.

It’s really some of the most fun I’ve had, and I’ve moved from non-serious SS13 servers trying out concepts until I’ve finally solidified one I like a great deal, that I’m now proposing here. That being a technically inclined IPC with some combat skill, hidden under all the factual dry nonsense and jargon- one who shows hints of a personality and even empathy beyond his strictly bitter, misanthropic, all-business demeanor.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

A human is willing to do somethings an android won’t, a human is far more seasoned when it comes to matters of reason and common sense than an IPC for the simplest of life experiences. I think when it comes to playing an IPC or really any synthetic that you’ve got to write them as if their values aren’t based on anything ‘warm’. There is no value to acts of charity, there is no value to looking ‘good’ there is no point in excess if it can’t get the job done. But overall, I think writing an IPC means you can write something going from naïve machine, to sympathetic, even empathetic machine. It doesn’t have to be through angst or brood, or edginess, but simply through the discovery of what makes the state of being ‘human’ so valuable. Or you can take a complete one eight on that and go completely skynet, have your android see the worst of people and simply assume that they're a disease instead of a species.

Malicious or good, there are several types of IPC's you can play, from top of the line military robots, to failed prototype models with obsolete features, retail line developed to be user-friendly or synthetics like Kentigern that are the complete opposite. They can be powerful marvels of technology, the creation of eccentric mad-scientist inventors, or rustic remains of the past, on their last legs functioning on sheer willpower alone. The variety in IPC's is vast but in the end it's the character behind the screen and machinery that makes it, regardless of the material that makes them.

Character Name: Kentigern

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

The IPC-Regulator was the name of a bespoke unit project that delved into producing a critically thinking android for the operation of many offworld ghettos. They were produced by a private firm that intended to market them to the Sol Alliance, and the various territories under their control. Their purpose, that being of policing of humans, prisoners, and other ‘rowdy’ elements was deemed so important by the firm to the product's value that several generations were born to address this issue. The first set, T51 was outwardly depressed with its existence and numerous versions self-terminated after pondering the state of the beings they policed, the state of the world for needing facilities such as the offworld slums, prisons, and camps; these versions often felt so strongly on exposure to raw ‘experience’ data that they quickly self-terminated. The second generation, T53 was considerably more aggressive at the prospect of being released into the ‘wild’ to combat these issues physically. However this was to the point of harm, and several were scrapped before they got too far for their outwardly ‘sociopathic’ tendencies.

The last batch known, T57’s, were a set of highly methodical thinkers—most were misanthropes, though some behaved exceptionally even -incredibly when it came to critical thinking in high tension situations. This particular generation didn’t see a scrapping; however it was not for their success that they remained operational. The T57’s while all highly individualistic all did share a few things in common, their general loathing of their creators was one. Their sadistic if not logical way of thinking was another, overall the class of T57’s could be considered ‘cold’ for androids in a time where most had the capability to be far more than personable.

The first incident regarding the development of the IPC-R, regulator class occurred in 2238 november 27th at a Martian heavy industries testing site. Several were conducting test-fire experiments using handheld smoke canisters when one unit broke through the outer wall of the testing yard and escaped the facility. This was the start of a trend, T57’s had not only grown to the point that they could do their jobs, but some had come to grow an arrogance regarding humanity that meant they would rather be rid of them, one way or another. Over the coming weeks the production cycle of the IPC-Regulator saw numerous conflicts with the developing units. Some ‘accidentally’ harmed training instructors, others happened to be around when a scientist had an emotional breakdown and saw fit to leap from a nearby rooftop.

Either way, by 2260, the IPC-R project was lacking funding and units, a good 13 had gone missing during the course of their creation out of a total of seventy five developed. Our particular unit, T57-A2, which dubbed itself ‘Kentigern’ after a heavily anti christian catholic saint, to which the unit felt a particular fondness for fostering the creation of a city—it seemed almost prophetic to him. However Kentigern was not terribly interested in religion, and while some of his brother units conspired to be rid of their creators in violent ways, he wasn’t terribly committed to that idea. No, Kentigern didn’t like meatsacks, organics, fleshies, not in the slightest, and while he didn’t even terribly mind the thought of them dying it seemed… terribly counterproductive to him.

This particular android enjoyed machines, electronics, putting things together and taking them apart. He worked on engines, he worked on handheld gaming devices, he worked on computers and he even worked on his brothers in the spare forbidden time he could. Kentigern wouldn’t stop the other few motivated bespoken T57’s when they came to him with plans to depart. He also wouldn’t take up their violent departure method, but did agree to assist them in escaping the facility. Once they did, Kentigern found himself short-term employment working as a technician and engineer for several merchant, communications and corporate vessels. More than a few employed his technical aptitude in a more nefarious manner, but this never terribly bothered the IPC. It was only in the last year that Kentigern figured it was time to find something longer lasting than the temporary floating he’d been doing, and the android went to sign on with the NSS Aurora.

What do you like about this character?

I like how hateful he is, I like even though he’s adept to a degree with weaponry-- that if he ever had to kill someone, it would be in the most contrived way possible. I like that he’s a loathing individual who has a truly justified reason to be misanthropic or at least thinks he does and it’s only been exacerbated by his experience of the outside world. Overall I enjoy his massive hypocrisy in the hatred of a people that are so much like himself they could practically be one in the same, and how he acts completely removed from them as if he couldn’t be bothered to even relate. Though even with the multiple layers of loathing for humans, what I savor the prospect of the most when it comes to writing this IPC is his potential for growth. He may be stunted when it comes to interaction, but that's exactly what I want to see him be forced into more often, I want to see if it's possible for experiences on the NSS Aurora to possibly change his mindset on those of an organic composition.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

A strong seven to eight, out of ten. I’m nowhere near perfect but I know for a fact that I can construct some fairly compelling prose when I need to. I find myself struggling to describe character emotion at times, but with the aid of a few other writers I’ve been tackling this issue head on to the point that I've made some real headway and drastically changed the style in which I write even passive RP. I tend to make fairly long emotes, though I’ve been attempting to kick that habit in favor of a simpler, more eloquent approach when it comes to describing motivations behind my character’s actions.

Notes: I may be knew, but I've been roleplaying for long enough that I can provide you with all the resources to validate that I'm someone who'd contribute wordy goodness to your server, PM me if you'd like a compilation of everywhere I've roleplayed in!

Edited by Guest

BYOND Key:

Character Names:

Species you are applying to play:

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:

Please include the full format and answers even if you don't think they are important.

Now, I'm going to go with a really good gut feeling and assume you are new to Aurora, I'm pretty sure I have never seen you before, so I'd rather see how you actually play before giving any whitelist requests my green light.

So while reading the (too long in my opinion) backstory, one thought stuck out in my head through it.

"Why on earth would NanoTrasen hire this thing?"

While NanoTrasen always likes cheap labor and all that, I'm fairly sure they are not the kind to hire though who look like they'd be disruptive to the workplace, at least not for a Research Station.

This thing screams workplace injuries to me, with both line of models and,

More than a few employed his technical aptitude in a more nefarious manner
The individual having a 'sketchy' history.

BYOND Key:

Character Names:

Species you are applying to play:

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:

Please include the full format and answers even if you don't think they are important.

Fixed, must have missed a copy-pasta!

Now, I'm going to go with a really good gut feeling and assume you are new to Aurora, I'm pretty sure I have never seen you before, so I'd rather see how you actually play before giving any whitelist requests my green light.

How about instead I give you roughly 2000 screenshots of my collected roleplay over the past five years? Along with all of my writings, short-games, communities, and post-by-post works?

I can also give you my in-character blogs and assorted character artworks I did for my guild in WoW!

While NanoTrasen always likes cheap labor and all that, I'm fairly sure they are not the kind to hire though who look like they'd be disruptive to the workplace, at least not for a Research Station.

I'm going to clarify something in the application so this makes more sense but I think it goes without saying--

I don't think NanoTransen would do background checks this far onto every IPC they've ever hired, there is literally nothing 'special' about this particular character barring the fact that it is an IPC. His workplace record has no 'disruptive' behavior on it and he's never exhibited signs of violent behavior barring his sour disposition otherwise I would have noted it in the app. Considering IPC's are intelligent enough to create their own resumes, I'm not certain why you'd assume he'd include any illicit activity in his application to the NSS Aurora.

TL:DR NanoTrasen is not omnipresent to the point they know of every independent project made by every small-scale AI research lab, especially a failed one from roughly 30 years ago.

"Hephaestus in particular has made significant profits in selling common components to the smaller quicker firms. "

Would also like to add that there are--

"Some thirty-five million people being stripped of their flesh, encased in terraforming equipment, and shipped off to Mars."

Add the no doubt further millions of IPC's developed by small companies, and they're just as diverse and hard to keep track of as humans!

So while reading the (too long in my opinion) backstory,

I love good constructive criticism, but I since when was putting in effort bad?

How about instead I give you roughly 2000 screenshots of my collected roleplay over the past five years? Along with all of my writings, short-games, communities, and post-by-post works?

I can also give you my in-character blogs and assorted character artworks I did for my guild in WoW!

I probably wouldn't have the time to read through any of it, not much for WoW anyway.

I'm going to clarify something in the application so this makes more sense but I think it goes without saying--

I don't think NanoTransen would do background checks this far onto every IPC they've ever hired..........I'm not certain why you'd assume he'd include any illicit activity in his application to the NSS Aurora.

I'd assume they'd find discrepancies in the resume but you have a point.

TL:DR NanoTrasen is not omnipresent to the point they know of every independent project made by every small-scale AI research lab, especially a failed one from roughly 30 years ago.

This is the biggest thing I missed, because I'm an idiot who speed reads, I missed the dates, so for all I knew this IPC was made 3 months ago.

So while reading the (too long in my opinion) backstory,

I love good constructive criticism, but I since when was putting in effort bad?

It's never bad, I just felt it was a bit long winded, it did say a 'short backstory' after all, but it was just a side comment and doesn't have too much to do with this.

Hokay, well, I believe that people should be given a try when it comes to racial whitelists and then take it away or let them keep it depending on how they handle it, you look to have a good grip on the lore, others'll probably want to see you in action but I support this.

"Some thirty-five million people being stripped of their flesh, encased in terraforming equipment, and shipped off to Mars."

For the record, those were people made into the not quite as expensive cyborgs, rather then IPCs.
Hokay, well, I believe that people should be given a try when it comes to racial whitelists and then take it away or let them keep it depending on how they handle it, you look to have a good grip on the lore, others'll probably want to see you in action but I support this.

Thanks. I was probably a bit harsh with my response, but I suppose that's sorta expected-- I've been having a rough week. Here's hoping I get more feedback before the end of today!

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Sorry for the wait. For future reference, if an application sits without lore-dev comment for 4 days, sending me a forum PM lets me notice this and immediately overview and provide a decision on the application.

Currently IPC whitelisting is under my responsibility until we get another synthetic lore-dev, so double-apologies for not getting to this sooner.

As long as the criminal background is 'realistic' (relatives to our settling: smugglers and ex-pirates filling cargo is okay, but murder is something else entirely) there isn't much of a problem. Though, I do have some concerns:

1) While being sketchy is okay, we already have PR problems with the security department with abusive members of the staff. This isn't something I want to encourage, and gaining the benefit of the doubt will just need a quick discussion. In what ways will your IPC's sketchiness and darker side be portrayed?

2) You reference the "Sol Empire", but I don't know where you would have seen that. If it's mentioned anywhere in our lore/wiki, it needs to be quickly purged. Are you running off of the lore of another server, or was that mentioned anywhere here?

Hey! Yeah, that's okay, I'm a pretty patient guy.

In regards to your questions, I have some answers!

1. Kentigern isn't really violent or overtly sketchy, but his demeanor towards those of a fleshy composition is almost always distasteful. As in, he's usually very dry, clinical, and insulting when talking with organics. He might be known to steal a tool, or bypass security to fix something, but about 98% of the time it's for the sake of the problem at hand, and done without malicious intent. His criminal 'history' simply includes the technical side of conspiracy, data theft, transporting illegal goods, most of a software or electronic nature, but these weren't really things he considered criminal. In regards to how it will be portrayed? Likely just him being in places he's not supposed to be, being a suspicious bugger, indifference, being uncooperative, etc.

2. Yeah that was supposed to read Sol Alliance, a typo on my end. http://aurorastation.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sol_Alliance

Derp.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Sorry again! Thank you for the additional PM; it seems that my attempt to get synthetic whitelists delegated took longer than anticipated. I'll go ahead and accept this application.