Five-Oh - Head Of Staff application

BYOND key: Five-Oh

Character names: Frank Stokes, Paul Huerta, Floyd Poindexter (and whoever else I might come up later on)

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: 6 days.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: Predominantly because I've witnessed a rather surprising lack of head personnel. I say surprising because the server sports respectable numbers on all other fronts, filled by capable people. I consider the heads an important factor of SS13 roleplay, they have the ability to (sometimes very subtly) guide a round from various angles, and if applicable across several departments.

Why did you come to Aurora?: Been looking for a more populated heavy roleplay server, seeing as my former go-to server (seemingly) took a greater hit to its member base.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Sure have, but speaking from experience, particularly so in regards to SS13, a lot can only be learned by jumping into the cold water.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

I tend to split roleplay into 2 main categories, scripted roleplay excluded; 1's to project your real-life persona onto a character and use it as an avatar to convey your thoughts and morals to others. I'd argue that this method appears to be the preferred method to go about it, but I'd also note it as a beginner's mistake as this road'll likely take you down the path where you'll mix IC and OOC, sometimes to the effect of taking up a real grudge over events that shouldn't be taken to heart.

Option number 2's to create a character, unrelated to one's own persona, traits, thoughts and opinions, and instead replace those with fictional ones. Often times these'll be based on a character from a TV show, movie, or literature. Perhaps not entirely, but very likely to a certain degree and especially when a player's new to the whole environment of serious roleplay.

I prefer roleplaying using the 2nd option, but as indicated I started out using the former. Roleplay should generally be about creating an environment in which different characters can come together and interact with each other. It's not, or rather it should not be about winning or losing (people get carried away, myself included. it's in our nature), instead it should be about the shared experience. Enjoyable (multiplaer) roleplay requires a good degree of common courtesy, sense and maturity - as opposed to singleplayer roleplay there generally won't be any one person who'll rise above all. There's no room for "the one", be that the cliche hero or villain.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

To deliver a noteworthy contribution to the roleplay overall, but especially within his own department (as far as applicable). He/she should lead by example and preferably encourage everyone else to roleplay to their best abilities. A head should be approachable, visible - consider that I'm not implying there can't be mean, rude, or somewhat antisocial heads, but there has got to be a reason for someone to be employed as a head, whether that's charisma, capability, combination of both, or what have you, otherwise the whole deal doesn't seem very logical.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

I'd say the answer coincides with the above - encourage roleplay in general and lead by example. Players new and old will be sure to pick up on the effort, thus making things more enjoyable for all parties involved. That's it, really. I believe that everyone should strive to deliver the best roleplay they can, but heads especially so because they are able to influence their respective areas to a greater degree and thus in a position to enhance OR potentially ruin everyone's experience.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Saul Hernandez

Character age: 45

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

(Disclaimer: I really, really dislike writing bios. I've done a few in the past, but I generally don't enjoy the process much and don't consider myself a great writer.)

Saul's been employed by NanoTrasen since the age of 36. Not much is known in regards to Mr. Hernandez's prior history, earliest records pinpoint him on some backwater colony within the Tau Ceti system. Due to the subject's questionable credentials, the company's offer did not extend beyond an entry-level position as a cargo technician on of NT's lower profile research facilities. Mr. Hernadnez henceforth operated within said perimeters efficiently for an estimated 5 years, before the station revealed a vacant Quartmaster's slot. A severe lack of promising candidates in combination with a respectable effort on Herhandez's behalf, led to an (initially) temporary try-out for the candidate.

------------------

Candidate sufficiently manned the post for an approximate duration of 2 years, before being considered for the position of HoP. This can mostly be attributed to Mr. Hernandez self-earned/made qualities and outlook, in addition his firm ruling over the cargo bay, which seldom came at the cost of a loss in morale. Obligatory Inspections conducted in these 2 years have come up short in terms of exposing discrepancies in accounting and/or inventory as well, as such the company's Internal Affair's bureau forfeit their right to veto on the matter. (*Note to self: Re-evaluate said agents in charge of inspections)

------------------

Mr. Hernadez's probationary HoP period on station hereby concluded. Final notes as follows; Loyalty to the company is out of the question. HR skills sufficient. Delegation skills respectable. Protocols followed accordingly to company instructions. Books in order.

Notable incidents: x1 viral outbreak on station. Surviving personnel noted Mr. Hernandez's prompt withdrawal from station comms. Later roundup reports indicate that subject prematurely withdrew from station to avoid potential risks. Investigations confirmed previous notion; subject evacuated shortly after outbreak announcement, arguably resulting in the deaths of an additonal 6 crew members. (*Note to self; Cut pay by 40% duration 1 month)

Recommend transfer to N.S.S. Aurora immediately in light of current vacancies.

What do you dislike about this character?: Nothing. But here's what I picture people would dislike about him;

- Cowardly at times where one would hope for the exact opposite

- Overly loyal

- Stern

- Does things by the book (this does not include telling someone to go fetch a signature for a X form from a position that's not even filled to begin with.)

- Concerning technical and complete combat ineptitude

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:

Guy's delegation skills. He's approachable, firm but fair, and doesn't fall in the category of HoP's that'll have you running from back and forth between entities in a vain effort of trying to get enough signatures to get the most crucial things done. He strikes a good balance between conducting business according to protocol and situation circumstances.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

Sufficient enough to become a functional part on any platform, given that I'm somewhat educated on the lore. I think it's very difficult to put an exact number on it. I can say that I'm fairly experienced, roleplayed in a plethora of environments ranging from law enforcement to criminals, to legal characters, military, or completely fictional things. I've done this both on video games and forums.

I can say that I'm willing to roleplay with just about anybody, seperate IC from OOC, stay true to my characters and that I'm experienced enough to bring up potential misunderstandings in a mature manner.

If I had to note one thing I didn't like about my roleplay, it'd have to be that it highly depends on my mood. If I'm not in the mood for it, I'll likely fall back into sort of a routine, may become more passive and just roleplay accordingly to what's going on around, as opposed to being imaginative and taking the initiative. Then again, I've learned it's better to take a break at that point.

Extra notes:

I don't run a lot of characters, I usually prefer to focus my efforts on 1, maybe 2 at a time. I'm currently in a position where I haven't figured out which ones that'd be. I'm sure I'll dedicate 1 character to security (once I'm not literally locked out at every other turn, as in the cadet phase wears off) and 1 to the HoP position, implying this goes through.

I suppose I'm mostly seen on Floyd Poindexter at the moment, which I consider a bit of an idiot (some might even say creep), although a slightly adorable one(?)! Just having fun with him, getting to know people and their characters.

Lastly, I realize this app may come a bit early seeing as I've only joined the community, I could easily see it being denied, I'd absolutely understand why and I wouldn't mind postponing my HoP endeavors to a later date.

For whatever reason I was at a loss for desiring to type out words, so I might as well input some of my own feedback.

To be honest, I've not encountered them too much, but I have been a fan of Poindexter. They've been an interesting character to roleplay with and I will credit that, their own flaws notwithstanding. As long as you acknowledge they're probably stuck where they are because of how utterly silly they can be at times, then that's fine by me.

I do like the formatting of the application, and, it's just. So lovely to look at. It's formatted to a T, it catches the eye and gets straight to the point. Arguably, it's honest as well. Kudos on that level, as well.

Given you've gone through the effort to file this application and interact with people on an interesting level, I can definitely say you should be whitelisted. Unless proven otherwise, I can only expect good things.

The application has my endorsement.

For whatever reason I was at a loss for desiring to type out words, so I might as well input some of my own feedback.

To be honest, I've not encountered them too much, but I have been a fan of Poindexter. They've been an interesting character to roleplay with and I will credit that, their own flaws notwithstanding. As long as you acknowledge they're probably stuck where they are because of how utterly silly they can be at times, then that's fine by me.

I do like the formatting of the application, and, it's just. So lovely to look at. It's formatted to a T, it catches the eye and gets straight to the point. Arguably, it's honest as well. Kudos on that level, as well.

Given you've gone through the effort to file this application and interact with people on an interesting level, I can definitely say you should be whitelisted. Unless proven otherwise, I can only expect good things.

The application has my endorsement.

I'm utterly aware of Floyd's shortcomings and the limitations I've imposed on myself by choosing to roleplay him the way that I do - my intentions weren't to take him places though. He's supposed to be more of a supportive cast to other players and their departments. Security, depending on how strict they are, will be more than able to pull him to the side and have a chat over him hopping the bar for a drink or even chuck him in a cell for what could be argued to an extent as harassment. Mind you, I try to take special care that his advances on female colleagues are at worst somewhat out of the ordinary, and though persistent, more of a source of finger-pointing amusement than anything beyond that. Others can use him as a source of entertainment and have him do things you'd normally not recommend to people with the ability of sound decision making. Or if all else fails, smash a bottle over his head.

I feel that, within the rules of roleplay and everyone (myself included) having their favorite (usually more serious and capable) characters, it can sometimes be a breeze of fresh air to have that one goofball that'll mess up and keep the ball rolling when things are slow. I figured I could contribute by having a character that falls into that category, at the cost of said character not ever advancing beyond lower tier roles and rightfully so.

I appreciate the feedback.

• 3 weeks later...