Ejundersc0re's Head Application

BYOND key: Ejundersc0re

Character names: Leah Conally, Emily Stevens, HELIX, The Frigid Sting of a Winter's Gale Biting the Back of the Throat as a Breath of Fresh Air Enters the Lungs of the Wanderer.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Six months or so I think.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I'd like to contribute back to the community by taking a leadership role in-game, so that I can help make everything more orderly and fun for all.

Why did you come to Aurora?: A close friend recommended the server to me.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: First and foremost, roleplay is about fun. Immersion serves as a major point of enjoyment for a lot of people including me. Being someone that generates immersion is where I, personally, find my fun. I strive to always remain in-character (unless I’m calling Meowy a scrub), and not break people’s immersion. I have the best experience when I’m fully immersed and contributing to other players immersion.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: To facilitate organized roleplay, and help steer players in the correct direction if they try to stray away; Head of Security: keeping officers from rambo'ing, Chief Engineer: keeping engineers organized and on task, Chief Medical Officer: making sure doctor's aren't ERPing are healing people correctly and enough make sure enough doctors are on-call, etc. They act as station administration below Duty Officers, but with enough authority to handle most IC situations.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: As a whitelisted player it would be my responsibility to ensure that my roleplay as a head of staff is always of the highest quality. I need to make sure I refrain from making any decisions that negatively impact roleplay for a large number of players. At the end of the day, it's my goal to be inclusive, and not force anyone out. I'll be able to help keep the station running smoothly ICly, as well as functioning as an OOC force that keeps the round from descending into chaos (I tend to play during dead hour mostly, when heads of staff, moderators, or anyone with power is sought after).

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Leah Conally

Character age: 30

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Leah Conally was born on March 1st, 2427 in Lowell City, Mars. As a child, she spent most of her time playing in the streets around their house, or learning in a small school. Leah and her younger sister Adrianna Conally were raised by their mother, Maria, a registered nurse working at Lowell City General. Their father Robert Conally was an engineer aboard a large orbital shipping station. He tragically died in an accident while Leah was only eleven years old. Mourning the loss of her father Leah began to shut herself off from her family. By the age of fifteen she was involved with a group of older kids who introduced her to a life of drugs in the slums of Lowell City. At the age of seventeen she was almost killed during a violent assault by her then boyfriend. Successfully recovering, she began to get her life in order. She voluntarily admitted herself into a young-adult rehabilitation program, and turned to a family friend of her father in order to pursue a career in ship engineering. She participated in a three-year apprenticeship program aboard a small cargo freighter specializing in atmospherics. Enrolling in Mendell City Technical College at the end of her apprenticeship, Leah worked towards an eventual Masters Degree in Engineering Physics.

During her schooling, Leah moved through multiple jobs for independent shipping companies. She worked on both large and small cargo freighters as an Engine Technician and an Atmospherics Technician. After receiving her degree (a total of eight years spent in remote-classes while working), Leah began work on a second degree in Atmospheric Science. During this time, Leah signed aboard a large cargo freighter as the Senior Engineer. While happy with her job aboard freighters, Leah wished to work for a larger corporation. After her two year contract expired Leah applied to work aboard one of NanoTrasen's many prestigious stations; initially applying for a job as their Senior Engineer (Designated Chief Engineer aboard NanoTrasen stations). She needed to await her psychological screening and various interviews. After many months of work as an Atmospherics Technician (and in some cases an Electrical Engineer) Leah received her answer...

What do you like about this character?: Leah was my first character to be played on Aurora, but not my first for SS13. She's very upstanding and always willing to take on a challenge. She has been a character that I've been planning to have apply for command since her creation. I've played her consistently since coming to Aurora, so it's my hope that she'll be recognized by the engineering staff as a competent leader. She tends to take charge during a crisis, and keeps everyone organized and on task in order to get the job done; it makes her a valuable asset during any emergency. She also enjoys teaching others about engineering (primarily atmospherics, her current job), and will tutor anyone that asks or shows interest.

What do you dislike about this character?: She tends to get overwhelmed easily and will completely shut down for a period of time when this happens, finding a quiet corner to 'reboot'. Additionally, while fairly experienced she tends to lose a lot of efficiency when working alone. While her strengths lay in the ability to keep others organized during emergencies it also works as a negative aspect when she's by herself, as she is unable to do everything at once and will quickly get overwhelmed. Lastly, she tends to have bad luck with changelings and is often absorbed early into the round (damn you Hakra!). She also hates spiders, so, there's that.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?: Leah displays competence at her job and the ability to act as a leader. She is also is a proven member of engineering, showing up regularly. She is someone the engineers know they can trust to help and work in tandem with them rather than act as an controlling overseer. While her knowledge is not always as good as it could be (lack of information related to telecommunications for example), she's willing to listen to those who do even if the help comes from unlikely places.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: I think I roleplay fairly well, but I'm not perfect, and I acknowledge that. I'm always looking to improve my roleplay. It's my hope that I'll be able to do so by acting in a position of command.

Extra notes:

Leah is very driven towards making her family proud, after many years of disappointment; She uses this to fuel her into pressing forward even in tough situations. While not perfect, she strives to be as effective as possible while on the job and it wears heavily on her outside of work. She is currently working on a project to refurbish a cargo freighter that she purchased from a scrap yard, so that she can start her own shipping company. She pours many hours into working on the freighter outside of the job, claiming that it "helps her relax", despite protests by friends and family.

I can say that after a long time for working with EJ while in game, that I can confidently downvote upvote this app. As a character she shows grit and the willingness to succeed and do so with means that do not harm the individual, and as a person she provides a friendly opinion and overall good personality.

• 2 weeks later...