Just saying hi!

Hello, people of Aurora!

I just stopped by to register myself in the forums and say hi to the community, before I decide whether or not to play one or maybe two rounds today before going to bed.

My RL-name is Holger, but you can call me Gurodel if you want. I´m from Austria and currently 23 years old.

At the moment, I just try to learn how to RP properly and also train my english skills, because english isn´t my native language. So if you find some grammatical or otherwise errors, just box me in the face, okay? :lol:

To my person: I am, was always and will always be a huge nerd. :geek: I love comics, especially Batman, Star Trek (with Deep Space Nine as my favourite of all ST-series) and video games. I also like to pretend being somebody totally different than myself, and this is the reason why I came to RPing in the first place and to Aurora on the second.

The place where I live doesn´t really gives me a chance to find Pen and Paper roleplaying or LARPing groups, with the next place to buy nerdy and RP-y stuff is in Vienna, a three hours train ride away. So I started to stick to online RPGs, but the most MMORPGS had too much MMO and too less RP in it for my taste and didn´t even deserve the name "role playing game".

I watched a lot of youtube videos on the topic of roleplaying games, even some guys that rp-ed Realms of Arkania and Vampire: The Masquerade in a Google Hangout livestream, until I just discovered BYOND and Space Station 13. Especially the roleplaying servers of the game.

After a really clunky start on other servers, many newbie-mistakes and a long absence to the game, I just decided to give my RPing skills and SS13 a new chance and started here, on Aurora. Some of you might even have seen my character ingame and I hope I didn´t make any too bad mistakes in my short time I´m here.

I would be thankful for help and hints and all stuff that could save me from getting "bwoinked", as you call it. Please remember, as I said, I´m fairly new to all this. :oops:

So, thank you for reading this big wall of text and sorry that my first post here is a such one.

- Gurodel, over.

Yo yo yo.

A few things you should know.

1 - If you're new to RP, /DON'T/ work in the medical bay.

2 - If you're experienced with RP, also don't work in the medical bay.

3 - Some players have bitchy, sassy, or otherwise rude characters which can sometimes make others feel threatened or offended by said players on an out-of-character level, which can lead to /D R A M A/, which is cancerous. Just make sure you can identify the line the between In-character and Out-of-character world, and try not to take too many in-game happenings personally.

4 - This community has a few setbacks, but it's pretty cool. Try not to get worked up over the periodic storms of drama that pop up every now and then, and you'll do just fine.

5 - Welcome to Aurora, enjoy your stay! :)

Thank you for the advice.

As I said, I´m not very experienced at RPing and I don´t plan on playing medbay for a long time, so don´t worry.

I just play my chef and barkeeper character, that´s something relative easy to start with I think.

To 3: I think I can distinguish between IC and OOC in terms of insults and behaviour and don´t feel offended if someone insults my character ICly. Only if somebody starts to OOC provoke me, I cannot guarantee that I don´t inform the admins. :mrgreen:

To 4: See point 3.

To 5: Thank´s I will have a good time here, I think. And please, if you or somebody else has got another tip or advice, feel free to slap it into my face directly. :lol:

- Gurodel, out.

After playing a round in which I was chased by two lesbians and beaten halfway through critical with a rolling pin and a knife while begging them to stop because I insulted their hair, I really need to emphasize that cliques are bad, and you need to stay away from them at all costs.

Cliques are when immature players stick to the same group and threaten anyone who gets close.

@ Jackfractal. Hello and thank you for the nice welcome.

And I have indeed a question, even if it may be a very dumb one and not even really fitting in this thread.

How can I change clothes in the game, especially the jumpsuits? I mean, if I try to put on, say, a kilt with my character, in which slot does it fit, because if it´s in the jumpsuit slot, then I don´t know how to get rid of it. :?:

Thank you,

- Gurodel, out.

Hey! This is one of those screwball idiosyncrasies of SS13. All jumpsuit items (like kilts) take up the jumpsuit slot and you have to click on them and drag them into your hand to remove them. This will make everything attached to your jumpsuit fall off as well.

I have no idea why it works like that, but that's how it works...

@ Jackfractal. Hello and thank you for the nice welcome.

And I have indeed a question, even if it may be a very dumb one and not even really fitting in this thread.

How can I change clothes in the game, especially the jumpsuits? I mean, if I try to put on, say, a kilt with my character, in which slot does it fit, because if it´s in the jumpsuit slot, then I don´t know how to get rid of it. :?:

Thank you,

- Gurodel, out.

Most of the time in order to move an item, you have to click on it with an empty hand.

Other times, you need to drag them into your hand to access them in a different way.

You need to DRAG jumpsuits into your open hand in order to take them off.