AlpineAl/Habib - Head of Staff Whitelist Application

BYOND key: AlpineAl.

Character names: Bruce Cressman, Viktor Faustin, Vincent Hoff, James Duncan and Walter Kompf. (EDIT: Forgot Vincent Hoff and James Duncan)

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: On and off for several months now.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I very much enjoy playing Head of Staff roles and I think I’ll be able to do so effectively. I also believe I’ll be able to create a fun role playing experience for the other players.

Why did you come to Aurora?: It is one of the few RP servers for Space Station 1 and as an avid fan of RP I was drawn to it.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?:Yes, I have.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Role playing is the act of taking upon the role of a character, acting with their personality, emotions and thoughts. Role Playing is very much like acting, except not in front of an audience. Role playing should be about interacting with other people through your character and having a fun experience. Role playing should never be about winning, it should be about providing a fun environment for both you and your counterparts to enjoy.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: The OOC position of a Head of Staff is to ensure that procedures are followed and that everyone remains civil. A head of staff is basically explained by the name, they lead the station staff. Without heads of staff, they’d be no one to lead the station and it would eventually fall into anarchy, and anarchy (unless done in a fun and antagonistic way) usually isn’t very fun for anyone.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: The OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are the following; Leadership and teaching. Whitelisted players are the top of the field. They’re usually the players who know the most about the game. It’s their job to help lead the other players and point them in the right direction, while also teaching them how the game works.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Walter Kompf.

Character age: 64.

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Walter Kompf was born into a very wealthy family. His early childhood was incredibly easy, as was expected for someone of his wealth. He was educated in the finest schools money can buy and went onto University where he got his degree in Xenobiology. With some nasty business tactics on behalf of his parents, he soon found himself working planetside for Nanotrasen. After a decade working in a lab he became bored of working planetside and signed up for offworld re-assignment. A few months later his request went through and he found himself on a shuttle bound for NSS Oregon. Walter worked on this station for two decades before it had an unfortunate accident with the station’s AI. Next he was sent to NSS Exodus which didn’t last long at all, only a few months. An engine malfunction caused that station’s demise. There were several more re-assignments that didn’t last long. Eventually at the age of 46, Walter was re-assigned to the NSS Basilius. After a couple of months working on this station Walter was attacked by his slimes in the Xenobiology lab, it was an extremely close call. If he had not used his fire extinguisher when he did, he likely wouldn’t be alive today. This situation was extremely stressful for Walter and it is said that he still fears Xenobiology even today.

After the experience on the NSS Basilius Walter decided to go back to University to get a degree in Human resources, which he got with flying colours. After this he quickly got a planetside job for Nanotrasen as a manager. Over the next few years he worked his way up the corporate ladder until he was running the Cargo bay on the NSS Aurora, at the age of sixty. Three years passed and he put in his application for a Head of Staff position, the Head of Personnel.

What do you like about this character?: I like this character due to his unique age, most characters I see on SS13 are very young. It’s nice to be able to play a character that is older and thinks differently about the world. A character that has a very realist outlook on life.

What do you dislike about this character?: There isn’t much I dislike about the character to be honest. Isn’t that the point of creating a character? One that you love playing and have little to no dislike towards them.

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff? (Please note that Head characters must be over 30, unless given special clearance): Yes.

Why?: Walter is a man with decades of experience with Nanotrasen. He has both a science related degree and a human resources related degree. Walter is also quite old, which immediately puts him as a wiser man than most younger people. While his successes in the science field were only average, he has proved that he is a capable man, a man capable of leading a department on a space station.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: I would rate my Roleplaying skill as a 7/10. While it is above average I still understand and recognise that there is plenty of room for improvement, something that I believe all people should realise. I’ve roleplayed for a good four and half years now on MMOs, and about a year with on and off playing for Space Station 13. I believe I’m a capable roleplayer who will be able to take upon the role of a Head of Staff.

Extra notes: None.

Edited by Guest

My only experience with you was during a changeling round, in which you metagamed along with one of your friends who was playing the chef. You were killed by a changeling as your Bartender character Viktor, then respawned as a scientist who suddenly had no motivation other than talking to your friend, the chef, who I think IC you hadn't even met yet after you respawned (could be wrong about that part). It was pretty transparent you were going after a friend you met OOCly, and I picked up on it immediately. Seeing your whitelist app listing both Krompf and Faustin just confirmed it.

I was never killed by a changeling in that game. I didn't even know it was a changeling round. I simply got bored of bartender and went into cryo, where I swapped to my scientist. The reason for talking to my 'chef friend' was the exact reason I stated in game, my character believes that long time postings in space lead to criminal behavior. I was merely going to interview him and be on my way. Also, I heard about him IC as I was playing on my scientist while the criminal behavior happened.

There was no cryo message, you were still on the manifest, and you disappeared after surgery performed by someone who was later revealed to be a changeling. So sorry about my confusion there. The point still stands that it's pretty damn suspect to have two separate characters in one round with an interest in the same guy, with minimal IC foundation.

• 4 weeks later...